Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Sandman

Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, this one took a bit longer than normal. I pretty much wrote the whole thing, decided I liked the idea of another awnshegh occupying the provinces I was going to put the Sandman in, and that changed the character's background, so I had to rewrite him. Here's the finished first draft of the intro, character description, and his location/domain along with some notes and references.

---oooOooo---

THE SANDMAN -- Background

There was a thick susurration, like the sound of the wind over the dunes, and he was there. At first there was no physical form, just a presence as palpable and invisible as the air itself. Then the sand before me bulged and began to defy gravity, falling upward like the flow of an hourglass in reverse. The grains hovered in a nebulous cloud that began to take on a vaguely humanoid form. It gathered into the shape of a skeleton, and for an instant I could see the outline of what seemed to be organs; lungs, a liver, a softly beating heart, all defined by dust as it coalesced. Then the sand took shape around them, the body grew solid, and the being known as the Sandman stood before me.

His body had the general shape of a tall, thickset man, but there the resemblance to humanity ended. His “skin” was rough and fissured, like the surface of a cliff come to life. His limbs were heavy and misshapen as if molded by rough or childish hands. His face had all the features of a man but of contour and shape out of all proportion to any human form. It was the face of a wax statue melting in the sun. Not even his eyes retained a human semblance about them, for they were nothing but hollow pits, black as caves, deep and forbidding. Despite that void I could feel his gaze fall upon me like a prophecy of doom.

“Greetings,” the figure said.

How to describe that voice? The winds of a sandstorm can strip the flesh from bone and wear down the stones of a mountain. It was that sound, harsh as the desert’s fury, yet smooth as the aged stones of the steppes. It was a voice without breath, as if made from the shifting sands themselves. Despite myself I trembled at it, for in that voice I heard the primal ring of death, inevitable, implacable and pitiless.

I averted my eyes and made abeyance. The Sandman is now the power in the Wastes, and is rumored to suffer no insolence or lack of decorum. Even had I not been there to negotiate safe passage for my caravan and myself I would have taken the greatest care in addressing him. His bearing demanded it, and the power of his presence was tangible. I knew that my propriety might be the only thing that could preserve my life.

“Most noble and revered lord of the shifting sands,” I began, “I come before you a humble supplicant to beg for your mercy and benevolence. Please look upon me with compassion and allow my meager troop to pass through these, your rightful and undisputed lands.”

The Sandman seemed satisfied with the form and delivery of my request for he made no move to destroy me. He questioned me about the nature of my goods and travels. I answered with as much circumspection as possible, for I did not wish to seem in any way loquacious or otherwise offend him. His queries were insightful and direct. When he learned of our destination his interest piqued, and he questioned me further as to the latest news from that land.

“Are… are you Zikalan, my lord?” I immediately regretted the query. The Sandman was silent for what seemed a long time, and I trembled for fear that I had offended him.

“It is hard to say now. I was from there in a manner of speaking. You say you know members of the royal house in Zikala? What of the Grand Vizier Tuarim?”

“He is dead, my lord. His son Omar now rules in his place.”

“And Jayim?”

“Yes, my lord. He is hale and remains at court.”

“Ah, then the plotter has failed… for now. It was my cousin Jayim who slew the Grand Vizier I am sure. I cannot prove this, but it was he who convinced Tuarim to send me away. I know not what his plan was, but my death can only have suited him, for I have always hated him and his poisoned tongue. He was a serpent in his youth and he remains one to this day.

“There had been many skirmishes with bandits from the lands of Irbouda. The Sphinx was still consolidating his power. He had dominated the brigands and murderers of that land for centuries, yet his control of them was still tenuous. ‘King of the Desert’ he styled himself. I doubt he could truly lay claim to that title then any more than he can now.”

“The duty should not have fallen to me, though I accepted it readily enough, for I was a soldier at heart. Jayim convinced my honored lord and uncle that these raids were of little import and that I might take only a retinue of soldiers with me. It was a paltry force to be sure, but I was proud to lead it and too inexperienced to see my folly.”

“It was not difficult to find the trail of one of the Sphinx’s marauders for they left a path of destruction in their wake. They had no interest in fighting a determined force, however. They only sought to plunder, so they ran from us and we chased them for days. They made for the Tarvanian Hillslong the refuge of thieves and murderers. It was a small band of them that we followed, no more than a score, but they were willing to ride their mounts to death, and were inured to the hardships of the desert. They could not run from us forever, and we caught them as they crossed into Meid Tarvai. That is where I met the monster who would seal my fate.”

“The cowards ambushed us, of course. My mount collapsed beneath me, a bolt in his neck. My men fought well, but it seems the bandits we chased had come upon another, larger group of brigands and joined forces with them so we were outnumbered. I fought as well as I could, determined to die in battle, but when my men were routed I was left alone. One of the brigands dismounted and came toward me. He removed his Khimar and I saw that it was not a bandit that I faced, but some horrid leonine man-beast. It was one of the Sphinx’s spawn. You might imagine the mix of man and lion would create a creature of noble bearing, but the Sphinx’s brood are not noble beasts. The monster I faced was bestial and degenerate. It was like a man but without a man’s morality… a creature with the trappings of humanity, but the soul of an animal. He faced me holding a blade stained with blood.

“’Good eating tonight, boys,’ he said in a deep, guttural voice. ‘Bring me a spit for this one’s arse.’ They roared with laughter.”

“Rage overtook me and I struck. To be sure the man-beast was stronger than I, but he had little skill with a blade. He swung it like a cleaver, or perhaps more like it was a claw, with no finesse. I had studied under some of the finest fencing instructors in Zikala. I quickly pressed the attack and backed the vile creature over the edge of the hill upon which we fought where a precipice gave him no further retreat. Unable to give any more ground he soon left an opening for my blade and I buried it in his chest. His cat-like eyes went wide, he dropped his blade and let out a sound that was almost a sound that was almost a purras if death were something he had long anticipated and now embraced. A gloating smile came to those feline lips and at that instant I realized that though I had slain my foe, it was he who had won.”

“The beast I killed was a scion of AzraiI was a fool not to have seen it beforeand in death his blood overcame my own. Can you imagine your soul being perverted by a force stronger than anything you had ever imagined? The Corruptor is dead, but his corruption lives on undiminished. All that had once been pure and noble in me was torn away as if by some fetid claw. I felt the Shadow itself overcame my heart. I could do nothing but cry out in despair as the spirit in my blood was defiled.”

“It was that cry that may have kept the remaining brigands from slitting my throat. These were hardened killers all, but they did not approach me, and their eyes were filled with fear. I know not what it was they saw in my face, but I could see the horror it inspired in theirs. One dropped to his knees and gagged, several others turned away unable to look me in the eyes.”

“I stood and looked out over the cliff. The desert stretched out before me as far as I could see. I could feel the taint of Azrai coursing through my veins with every heartbeat like the writhing of a maggot in my chest. I stared out over the clean sands of the Tarvan Waste and knew what I must do. I looked down at sheer face of the cliff at the jagged rocks below. There was a moment of weightlessness after I leapt out into space, then my weight seemed to catch me and I hurtled towards the ground.”

“I fell from the height amongst the detritus. My body shattered and the stones that were as sharp as knives pierced me as I rolled down the talus. The impact had not killed me. Instead, I was dying the death of a thousand cuts. Strangely, I felt no pain. I could feel only my heartbeat growing fainter as my life drained away. The grit of the sand beneath my face seemed a comfort to me now. It was in my mouth, my eyes, and the wounds of my shattered body. I had always heard that the sun-baked sands could grow hot enough to bake bread. I felt that heat pass through me as my life bled away into the sands. That was the last thing I knew, the heat of the desert mingling with my own blood and body in an embrace more full than that of any lover.”

“I do not know for certain how long it was that I remained insensate in the sands. I have only the vague impression of time passing. It was weeks or months, I am sure. When I finally regained consciousness and stood it was amongst the broken stones at the base of the cliff where I had fallen. But there was something more amongst the rocks. Bones. Picked clean by the scavengers of the desert, they were like whitened sticks scattered about my feet. I saw a bit of blue among them. I looked at it more closely and realized that it was a shred of what had once been my own silken robes, stiff and faded now by exposure to the desert sun. I reached out and picked up the skull that lay at my feet. As I looked into the empty eye sockets of that hollow shell I realized that the bones at my feet were mine. The skull I held was my own. The fall had killed me, but my soul had lived on. It had bled into the sands and I substantiated into them. I had become one with the desert itself.”

“I began to sense the sands beneath my feet. Indeed, I felt through the sands…. I began to feel them as if they were my own flesh and blood. The sun beat down upon the dunes. A lizard scurried away behind me. I felt these things as if there were on my own skin. These shifting sands are my body. I am not merely lord of the desert, you see, I am the desert itself.”

Downloads
    Uploads
    THE SANDMAN -- Character/Domain Description

The Sandman was once Havilah ibn Aphrah el-Zisaf, second nephew to the

Grand Vizier of Zikala. Lost in the northeastern deserts while chasing

bandits in 2027MA (539MR) it is not known when he emerged from his sandy

grave, but sightings of a "demon" began to occur in 2036MA (548MR) and in

the years since his power has increased dramatically.

The Sandman has become the power that controls much of the northeastern

provinces of Zikala and western Aftane. The largely uninhabited provinces

of Deired, Houran and Dourat are now effectively under his control. His

ability to travel through the sands to attack without warning and escape

without pursuit (or even tracked) have made his control of those provinces

undisputed. He appears, however, to be stymied by the stony provinces of

the Tarvanian Hills to his northeast, and he seems loathe to move into more

populated provinces to the south or west.

Those few humans who dwell in the provinces that he controls recognize him

as the sovereign power, and many outside his realm have been forced to

recognize that he is now effectively the ruler of those provinces. Though

still not officially recognized by the rulership of Zikala or Aftane, all

attempts to regain control of those provinces, or rid the region of the

Sandman have failed miserably. Some have speculated that the Sandman`s

powers give him an advantage in the barren province he rules.

In recent years small bands of nomadic tribesmen have begun to worship him

as a god, and several celebrants have wandered out of the desert to preach

the coming of the Sand god who strikes down the faithless without warning

or pity. Until recently these fanatic priests have been considered simple

madmen driven insane by the desert sun. When one recently slew a rude

guardsman in Turin and then vanished by leaping into a nearby dune the

incident was widely reported. In the months since these "Sons of the Sand"

have been rumored to have gained in popularity and influence to the point

that the Exalted High Priestess Shandare of the Zikalan Temple of Avani has

issued a fatwah declaring the cult heretical and its followers subject to

summary execution. None have as of yet been executedor even apprehended.

Popularly known as the Sandman, he is also called the Sand God, or the

Dunelord by the dervishes who have taken him as their patron. Those less

kindly disposed to him have called him the Desert Demon or the Dust Monster.

The Sandman

Medium Awnshegh

Hit Dice: 12d8+24 (81 hp)

Initiative: +2 (dex)

Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares) burrow 20 ft. (4 squares)

Armor Class: 19 (+2 dex, +6 natural, +1 dodge)

Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+13

Attack: Slam +14 (1d10+4)

Full Attack: 2 Slams +14 melee (1d10 +4)

Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.

Special Attacks: Stun

Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/--, earth magic vulnerability,

travel, tremorsense.

Saves: Fortitude +6, Reflex +6, Will +3

Abilities: Str 18, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 12, Wis 8, Cha 10

Skills: Hide +17, Listen +14, Spot +14

Feats: Dodge, major transformation, mobility, spring attack, stunning fist,

weapon focus (slam)

Environment: Any desert

Organization: Solitary

Challenge Rating: 12

Treasure: None

Advancement: by character class

Level Adjustment: +1

Bloodline: Tainted, Azrai, 14

Bloodline in BP Format: Az(4/14) Trvl(4/2/1)

The Sandman`s body is entirely made of sand mystically formed into the

shape of a man by the power of his bloodline and transformation into a

hardened, almost cement-like consistency. He retains a basic humanoid

shape, but his body is out of all proportion to a man. He has no teeth,

eyes, nails or hair. His body takes on the color of the sand from which it

is formed. The Sandman weighs 600 lbs.

COMBAT

In battle the Sandman uses two heavy fists to deliver devastating

blows. He prefers hit and run tactics; attacking with surprise by emerging

suddenly from the sand, striking an opponent and then vanishing again below

the dunes before his opponent can respond. He rarely ventures away from a

sandy terrain so he can escape by "burrowing" through the sand at will.

Stun (Ex): When struck by the Sandman`s fist in combat the target must make

a DC 15 Will save or be stunned for 1 round in addition to any normal

damage sustained.

Burrow (Sup): The Sandman does not burrow through sand so much as his

spiritual form travels through the sand as its medium. He can still be

attacked while "submerged" in the sand by another burrowing creature, but

he leaves no tunnel to follow for characters unable to burrow themselves.

Travel (Bld): The Sandman`s Travel blood ability gives him the power to

teleport to any province in his domain and several in adjacent

domains. The Sandman teleports through the sand itself. He can transport

to any sandy location touched by the sands upon which he

stands. Effectively, this gives him the ability to appear in any desert

province from Binsada to the Black Spear tribes. He cannot, however,

simply appear anywhere in any of those provinces he wishes. He must arrive

in a sandy location where his body can be reformed by the sand.

The Sandman can only transport his own person with his Travel ability. He

may not carry equipment nor bring additional characters along with him when

he teleports. The Sandman may use this ability up to three times per week.

Tremorsense (Ex): The Sandman can sense the presence of anyone within 30`

touching a sandy surface that he also touches.

Earth Magic Vulnerability (Ex): The Sandman is vulnerable to earth based

magic such as Soften Earth and Stone and Stoneshape. If such spells are

cast upon him with the intent of doing him harm he suffers 1d6 hp/damage

per spell level.

Downloads
    Uploads
    THE SANDMAN -- Notes and References

1. The Sandman`s mortal name: "Havilah" means "stretch of sand" in

Hebrew. "Aphrah" is a biblical place name meaning "dust."

2. Information on the Zikalan royal house is based on the CotS entry for

"Zikala" p19.

3. "Irbouda" is the former name of the lands now controlled by the Sphinx,

and remains the name of the ruined city which that awnshegh uses as his

capital. See the CotS entry for "The Sphinx" p19.

4. The use of the Tarvan Waste (and the Tarvanian Hills) as hideout for

brigands is described in the CotS entry for "The Tarvan Waste" pp22-23.

Downloads
    Uploads
    THE SANDMAN -- Rumours and Adventure Hooks

Just Deserts

The Sandman appears to be expanding his domain into nearby provinces,

much to the dismay of his neighbors. He has appeared several times in the

provinces of Tuared and Khoused, and local magistrates are becoming

panicked to say the least. Someone must be sent to make contact with this

elusive creature and ascertain his intentions, and parley with the monster

and try to learn his plans for the future.

The Sand in the Litter Box

The Sphinx has ruled the central lands of the Khinasi plains states for

over a century. He has become a fixture of Khinasi politics. Once

considered a threat to his neighbors recent years, he has seemed content to

consolidate his rule over his provinces. Attacks by raiders from the lands

of the Sphinx have grown rareeven inconsequential. Furthermore the Sphinx

actually acts as a buffer between the lands of the western plains states

and the predations of the tribes of the Tarvan Waste, the fierce gnolls

that inhabit those lands and recent rumors of a vile, serpent that swallows

men whole.

The Sandman, however, appears to have made several forays into the lands

of the Sphinx, and the terror of these attacks threatens to destabilize the

Sphinx’s rule. Bandits have raided in strength outside of that realm for

the first time in many months. A delegation must be sent to the Sandman to

appease himor to at least get him to reduce the pace of his advance so as

to minimize the desperation of the Sphinx and allow him to exert some

control over his minions.

Sand Castles

In recent weeks a tale has begun circulating that the Sandman has

constructed a fabulous fortress in one of the provinces he

controls. Sometimes called the Dune Keep, this fortress is believed to be

guarded by ghostly beings who can suck the blood from an intruder, leaving

him an empty, desiccated husk. At the center of this fortress, however, is

a fabulous garden, a paradise where the Dunelord rewards his faithful

followers with every pleasure known to manand some as yet undreamt

of. Anyone who could gain access to the inner sanctum would find such

delights that he could find bliss on earthbut woe to the thief who is

discovered there….

Sandstorm!

Prince Jayim el-Zisef has learned the origin of the Sandman and he is

not pleased. He had thought he had rid himself of his troublesome cousin,

only to learn that he is not only alive, but has been transformed into a

ghostly desert demon who can travel through the sands themselves to strike

without warning. The Prince has carefully avoided the deserts for months

now, and it is said he shrieked when a soldier returning from the desert

removed a boot and poured the sand that had collected there onto the palace

courtyard.

The Prince seeks protection from this Desert Demon and is willing to pay

handsomely for it. He has offered a reward of 5GB for anyone who can bring

him the Talisman of Anahita a fabled magical device said to serve as a

barrier to all intrusions from djinn, elementals, ghosts or beings from

beyond the material plane. When properly activated it can prevent such

intrusions in an entire province. He believes this ward will also prevent

the Sandman from transporting into his presence… and maybe then the Prince

can sleep at night without fear of the wind that rustles his curtains.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here`s a prestige class to represent the fanatic followers of the

Sandman. I had planned on making the Sons of the Sand very much like the

cleric class, but somehow upon writing it up it went a slightly different

direction or, rather, off on it`s own direction. I still think the

prestige class mechanic is a good idea for reflecting BR`s cults dedicated

to various awnsheghlien, so something like this might be the basis of other

prestige classes for characters dedicated to the Sphinx, the Serpent or the

Gorgon (or any other awnsheghlien who inspire worship.)

The Sons of the Sand

Amongst the burning sands of the Khinasi deserts live a harsh and

fanatic warrior people. At a constant state of conflict both within and

without their small bands, life is harsh for the Tarvan tribesmen, and they

have adopted a suitably bleak and merciless outlook in order to survive in

a climate more formidable than even some of Cerilia`s most deadly

monsters. Fiercely independent, the desert nomads of the deserts have

remained outside the reach of any Khinasi regent despite several attempts

to bring them to ground.

In recent years, however, the tribesmen have found a new faith that

seems to have embodied many of their own fatalistic views. The arrival of

the Sandman in their desert lands has meshed perfectly with their animistic

worldview and austere philosophy. He has become their patron and

worshipped as a god.

Central to the worship of the Sandman is the proselytizing of the Sufi

who call themselves the Sons of the Sand. Their fanaticism and zealalong

with the occasional mystic ability.

Hit die: d8

REQUIREMENTS

Feats: Self-sufficient, Stealthy

Skills: Knowledge (religion) 5 ranks, Survival 5 ranks

Alignment: Any chaotic.

CLASS SKILLS

Balance, Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Heal, Hide,

Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (nature), Listen, Move Silently, Spot, Survival.

Skill Points at each Level: 4 + Int modifier

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The emphasis of the Sons of the Sand is

not directly on combat. They are proficient with club, crossbow (any),

dagger (any), dart, quarterstaff, scimitar and shortsword. They can wear

any light armor, but do not use shields.

Desert Attunement: Already skilled at foraging for food and water in an

inhospitable environment, Sons of the Sand have a nearly preternatural

attune to the desert environment. They gain a +2 competence bonus to all

Spot and Survival checks made while in a desert environment.

In addition, if traveling alone a check made to track a Son of the Sand

(see the Track feat) is an opposed roll using a Survival skill check by the

Son of the Sand.

Sandwalk: At 3rd level a Son of the Sand may move through any sandy

surface as if using a Dimension Door spell. In order to use this ability

the Sand Son must be lightly encumbered and cannot transport additional

characters.

At 6th level this ability may be used twice per day and at 9th level it

can be used three times per day.

Desert Camouflage: At 5th level a Son of the Sand may use his hide skill

in any desert terrain even if the terrain does not grant cover or concealment.

Hide in Plain Sight: At 10th level a Son of the Sand may use his hide

skill while in a desert terrain even while being observed.

Spells: A Son of the Sand can cast spells based on his Wisdom score, so

he must have a 10 + spell level in that ability in order to cast

spells. Where applicable the saving throw for spells cast by a Son of the

Sand is 10 + spell level + his Wisdom modifier. When Table ?? indicates

that the son of the sand is entitled to 0 spells of a given level (such as

0 1st-level spells at 1st level) he gets only those spells granted by his

wisdom bonus. A Son of the Sand prepares and casts spells just like a

cleric, but must choose spells from the list below.

Son of the Sand Spell List

0th: Create water, cure minor wounds, detect poison, inflict minor

wounds, purify food and drink, resistance, virtue.

1st: Bane, cause fear, cure light wounds, detect poison, doom, endure

elements, sandstorm (as obscuring mist), sleep, ventriloquism.

2nd: Align weapon, bear`s endurance, cure moderate wounds, delay poison,

enthrall, hypnotic pattern, suggestion.

3rd: Bestow curse, create food and water, cure serious wounds, deep

slumber, helping hand, Leomund`s tiny hut, magic vestment, meld into sand

(as meld into stone), prayer.

4th: Cure critical wounds, freedom of movement, giant vermin, neutralize

poison, poison, repel vermin.

5th: Control winds, dream, insect plague, mislead, nightmare.

Table ?: Son of the Sand

Fort Ref Will Spells per day

Level BAB Save Save Save Special

0th 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th

1 +0 +0 +0 +2 Desert

Attunement 3 1

2 +1 +0 +0 +3 4 1

3 +2 +1 +1 +3 Sandwalk

1/day 4 2 0

4 +3 +1 +1 +4 5 2 1

5 +3 +1 +1 +5 Desert

Camouflage 5 2 1 0

6 +4 +2 +2 +5 Sandwalk

2/day 5 2 2 1

7 +5 +2 +2 +6 6 3 2

1 0

8 +6 +2 +2 +7 6 3 2

2 1

9 +6 +3 +3 +7 Sandwalk

3/day 6 3 2 2 1 0

10 +7 +3 +3 +8 Hide in Plain

Sight 6 3 3 2 2 1

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here are my notes on the prestige class:
    • I think the requirements are rather low for Birthright; maybe if you increased the overall requirements, so that chracters could get the class after 7th level at least, it would be more fitting to the setting.
    • Sandwalk seems to good to me; I suggest you change it with the Longstrider spell, and grant it once per day for every odd level (max 5/day at 10th level).
    • The spell system is rather non-standard; it would be best if you stuck to the classic spell-casting prestige class with no spell-casting requirements motif, like the blackguard (cast spells like a paladin, up to 4th level).
    • I would use an opposed Survival(or Search for the presence of tracks if the Track feat has not been taken) vs. Hide, instead of opposed Survival checks.

THe class, though, is pretty cool! B)

Downloads
    Uploads
    At 12:14 AM 3/2/2004 +0100, RaspK_FOG wrote:

>Here are my notes on the prestige class:
    • I think the requirements

>are rather low for Birthright; maybe if you increased the overall

>requirements, so that chracters could get the class after 7th level at

>least, it would be more fitting to the setting.

Yeah, this one is a bit of an annoyance. The thing is, I don`t think a

cleric, druid (priest of Erik) or paladin are very likely core classes from

which someone would take this class, because the nature of this class is

worship of a semi-divine being (one that most clerics, druids or paladins

would probably find pretty abhorrent) so the skill rank requirements are a

bit more stringent since one or the other of the skills (knowledge,

religion and survival) are going to be cross classed skills for such

characters. However, that`s not such a problem in 3.5 anymore, so as a

requirement it`s less restrictive, and one has to take into consideration

the possibility of ex-clerics, ex-druids and ex-paladins.

Anyway, the options for requirements are to add two or three feats

(Endurance and Toughness seem apt) or to increase the ranks of the

skills. Survival 8 ranks seems the most prudent. Then no one could take

the class until their 6th level.

>
    • Sandwalk seems to good to me; I suggest you change it with the

>Longstrider spell, and grant it once per day for every odd level (max

>5/day at 10th level).[*

You mean give them Longstrider in desert terrain rather than have them

dimension door through the sand?

>The spell system is rather non-standard; it would be best if you stuck to

>the classic spell-casting prestige class with no spell-casting

>requirements motif, like the blackguard (cast spells like a paladin, up to

>4th level).

The spells per level is basically that of the Adept NPC class tweaked just

a bit to access to the higher level spells faster. I was looking for

something between the druid spell progression and that of the Adept to

reflect the class`s "non-standard cleric" theme. In general, I want the

class to have access to spells higher than 4th level per some previous

discussion on using prestige classes to represent priests of the "cults of

Cerilia," but because I don`t imagine characters who take the prestige

class having levels in an existing divine spellcasting class the "+1 spell

existing spell level" function doesn`t work, so I gave it its own spell

progression table.

In fact, I only listed 10 levels of the character class because that`s the

3e/3.5/ELH standard for prestige classes. There`s really not much reason

to stick to that in this case that I can see, so having a spell list that

went up to 8th level spells (at 15th level for the class) works IMO.

>
    • I would use an opposed Survival(or Search for the presence of

>tracks if the Track feat has not been taken) vs. Hide, instead of opposed

>Survival checks.

In version 1.1 of that class I`m going to just give them Pass Without Trace

while in the desert. I like opposed rolls, but it`s just easier and fits

into the class better.

Thanks much for the comments and input,

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, this one is a bit of an annoyance.* The thing is, I don`t think a cleric, druid (priest of Erik) or paladin are very likely core classes from which someone would take this class, because the nature of this class worship of a semi-divine being (one that most clerics, druids or paladins would probably find pretty abhorrent) so the skill rank requirements are a bit more stringent since one or the other of the skills (knowledge, religion and survival) are going to be cross classed skills for such characters.* However, that`s not such a problem in 3.5 anymore, so as a requirement it`s less restrictive, and one has to take into consideration the possibility of ex-clerics, ex-druids and ex-paladins.
    A sound concept, but I believe you should consider the application of skills as requirements a bit more...

Anyway, the options for requirements are to add two or three feats (Endurance and Toughness seem apt) or to increase the ranks of the skills. Survival 8 ranks seems the most prudent.* Then no one could take the class until their 6th level.
    More than fair enough, but you have me confused as to what you mean by "their 6th level": you can reach 8 ranks at 5th level, except if you mean that you should do both, so that the need for feats makes it impossible to gain any levels in the prestige class without reaching 6th level?

You mean give them longstrider in desert terrain rather than have them dimension door through the sand?
    Yup, that's it; or you could stick with your "per day" arrangement and assign a +5 feet enhancement bonus to speed at each increment which stacks with itself, much like the Dervish in the Complete Warrior. Thus, low-level characters would receive a minimal bonus (+5 feet to speed), while high-level ones would receive a major bonus (+15 feet to speed).
    [Overall Pattern: +5 feet at 3rd level, +10 feet at 6th level, +15 feet at 9th level.]

The spells per level is basically that of the Adept NPC class tweaked just a bit to access to the higher level spells faster.* I was looking for something between the druid spell progression and that of the Adept to reflect the class`s "non-standard cleric" theme.* In general, I want the class to have access to spells higher than 4th level per some previous discussion on using prestige classes to represent priests of the "cults of Cerilia," but because I don`t imagine characters who take the prestige class having levels in an existing divine spellcasting class the "+1 spell existing spell level" function doesn`t work, so I gave it its own spell progression table.

In fact, I only listed 10 levels of the character class because that`s the 3e/3.5/ELH standard for prestige classes.* There`s really not much reason to stick to that in this case that I can see, so having a spell list that went up to 8th level spells (at 15th level for the class) works IMO.<
    Why not work then on a more standard basis and give the class a spell list up to 6th-level spells?

In version 1.1 of that class I`m going to just give them Pass Without Trace while in the desert.* I like opposed rolls, but it`s just easier and fits into the class better.
    I had something similar in mind, but I thought you wouldn&#39;t like it...

Thanks much for the comments and input,
    Gary
    You are most welcome.

Downloads
    Uploads
    At 01:56 AM 3/4/2004 +0100, RaspK_FOG wrote:

>
    Anyway, the options for requirements are to add two or three feats

>(Endurance and Toughness seem apt) or to increase the ranks of the

>skills. Survival 8 ranks seems the most prudent. Then no one could

>take the class until their 6th level.
    >

>More than fair enough, but you have me confused as to what you mean by

>"their 6th level": you can reach 8 ranks at 5th level, except

>if you mean that you should do both, so that the need for feats makes it

>impossible to gain any levels in the prestige class without reaching 6th level?

By "6th level" I mean that a character could not take levels in the class

until their 6th character level because one has to meet the prereqs before

taking a level in a prestige class--which is what 8 ranks in a skill would

mean. Generally, prestige classes are meant for characters with a minimum

of 5 levels in core class(es). (I`ve seen a few that can be qualified for

earlier, but it`s debatable wether that was done purposefully or not in

most cases.) It`s either 8 ranks in a skill or four feats that are not on

any class`s bonus feat list since that would mean a human could not take a

level in the prestige class until he had dedicated all his feats to those

required--two at 1st level (for humans) one at 3rd and the last at

5th. Toughness would actually not work since it`s a bonus fighter feat and

would let a character with a level in that class take the prestige class as

his 4th character level.)

>
    You mean give them longstrider in desert terrain rather

> than have them dimension door through the sand?
    >

> Yup, that`s it; or you could stick with your "per day"

> arrangement and assign a ,5 feet enhancement bonus to speed at each

> increment which stacks with itself, much like the Dervish in the

> Complete Warrior. Thus, low-level characters would receive a

> minimal bonus (+5 feet to speed), while high-level ones would receive a

> major bonus (+15 feet to speed).

The Sandwalk ability that allows them to dimension door through the sand

was really the heart of the class, so I want to keep that as intact as

possible. For some reason I don`t like the idea of having them actually

move faster in the desert automatically.... Maybe it`s just the straw that

breaks the proverbial camel`s back since the class already has several

things that would make them difficult to track/catch in the desert. I do,

however, think it might be a good idea for them to ignore the negative

effects of sandy terrain for the purpose of movement, which pretty much

amounts to the same thing. (The effects of terrain on movement is handled

a bit more vaguely in 3.5 than it was in 3e, but just noting that SotS are

not adversely affected by poor terrain in the desert should suffice.) It

would also make sense if Longstride was one of the spells in their spell

list, which would make zooming across the dunes a spell effect rather than

a supernatural ability.

> <!--QuoteBegin] In fact, I only listed 10 levels of the character class

> because that`s the 3e/3.5/ELH standard for prestige classes.

> There`s really not much reason to stick to that in this case that I can

> see, so having a spell list that went up to 8th level spells (at 15th

> level for the class) works IMO.<[/QUOTE]

>

> Why not work then on a more standard basis and give the class a spell

> list up to 6th-level spells?

For ten levels? Generally spell lists don`t go up more than one spell

level every other class level, so a class with 10 levels could only get as

high as 5th. I`ve written up a table for the class that goes up to 15th

level (and 8th level spells) but didn`t post it since the standard for

prestige classes is 10 levels only. It doesn`t really matter IMO if one

extends the levels available to prestige classes beyond 10th.

Gary

Birthright Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quality material, Gary. I really like it. I&#39;m not quite sure the Sandman is worth a CR of 12, though. His overall prowess doesn&#39;t quite seem to merit that.
    Jan E. Juvstad.

Thread Information