I have some questions about fortifying. First, if I understand correctly, the fortify action itself is not a separate domain action like it was in the computer game, but a build action that your court can undertake. You can use this to build a castle or to fortify a holding, right?

I've read a few times in the BRCS that you can fortify a holding, but I can't pin down the exact game effects.

-- Do I fortify a holding once to make it "fortified" or does it have levels of fortification?
-- How much does it cost?
-- Most importantly, what does it do? Affect contest actions? Stop hostile units?
-- What's the difference between a greatly fortified holding and a castle?

Thanks so much if you can help me clear this up. We're in a situation where a country is under threat of war and a non-landed is considering either fortifying his few holdings there or trading them for holdings in safer lands. But, I don't know what the point of fortying a holding is right now, so...

I also have another questions... I think you can spend as many court actions as you have building up a castle. But I guess this means if you have a big court, you could punch a castle out really quickly. Unrealistically so, you might say, given the technology available to that society. Does anybody have house rules on the amount of build you can pump into a castle or other structure?