Thread: War

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a few questions regarding tactical warfare. First of all, let me explain that I want to continue using the battle card system for simplicity sake. I've found that even though it may not be realistic, it can be fast. That I like. Here are my questions...

If a hostile unit breaches the fortification (winning the opposed warcraft check), is it fair to say that the defending unit no longer gets the full benefit of the fortification level? The only answer I''ve found was on page 127...

Combat: No unit...All friendly units add the fortification's rating to their defense.

But if the wall between us is no longer between us...

umm, more to follow...

Downloads
    Uploads
    If said unit breaches and engages defenders in melee, is it now easier for other units to move through the breach? Defenders are occupied right?

Do flanking rules apply for battle cards? I would think it makes sense...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Critical hits can have a huge impact, but a fumble has no additional impact than a miss. What do you think about a confirmed fumble roll (maybe some sort of morale check?) having an effect on Attack or Morale (-2 maybe)?

Downloads
    Uploads
    When a hostile unit attempts to breach, the defender gets a free missile attack at a bonus equal to the fortification level, does this stack with any missile attack bonus they already have?

Downloads
    Uploads
    ok, one more...

Two units (Scouts & Infantry) are engaged in melee. Scouts win tactical initiative, and lets the Infantry act first. Infantry doesn't move (already engaged), Scouts then make an evasive retreat. Can the Infantry now move and attack on the Attack phase? Or are they shafted because the Movement phase is done? Now it is the Attack phase, but they are not engaged...

Downloads
    Uploads
    If a hostile unit breaches the fortification (winning the opposed warcraft check), is it fair to say that the defending unit no longer gets the full benefit of the fortification level? The only answer I''ve found was on page 127...

Combat: No unit...All friendly units add the fortification's rating to their defense.

But if the wall between us is no longer between us...

If said unit breaches and engages defenders in melee, is it now easier for other units to move through the breach? Defenders are occupied right?
    As I understand things from the BRCS:
    On the War Card map, there are 5 sections to each line. In a siege/assault, each of those 5 sections of the defender's line is a fortification. Once you successfully enter a fortified area and defeat the defending unit, you have taken that section of the fortification. From that point on, the section may be freely entered by your units pouring through the breach. It is effectively Neutralized. You must neutralize all 5 sections to capture the castle.

Until you've defeated the opposing unit in a castle section, the defending unit will continue to recieve the fortification bonus to its Defense rating.

Do flanking rules apply for battle cards? I would think it makes sense...
    On the 3x5 map, flanking rules can get clumsy and messy as facing and space occupied become very difficult with rectangular (non-symmetrical) spaces. A square or hex grid would work better for facing, flanking, etc. It's one of the reasons I ended up creating a miniature/icon based system on much bigger maps. KGauck uses the war cards but on bigger playing fields (I believe). Others have their preferred methods. There are multiple discussions on this in the Royal Library, by the way.

Critical hits can have a huge impact, but a fumble has no additional impact than a miss. What do you think about a confirmed fumble roll (maybe some sort of morale check?) having an effect on Attack or Morale (-2 maybe)?
    I think fumbles are fine - if it's a true botch, I often allow the engaged enemy unit a free attack of opportunity against them, equivalent to a trip in personal combat.

When a hostile unit attempts to breach, the defender gets a free missile attack at a bonus equal to the fortification level, does this stack with any missile attack bonus they already have?
    Defenders' missile ratings stack with the castle's when that section is attacked(only). Makes it painful to storm those archers high on the walltops!

Two units (Scouts & Infantry) are engaged in melee. Scouts win tactical initiative, and lets the Infantry act first. Infantry doesn't move (already engaged), Scouts then make an evasive retreat. Can the Infantry now move and attack on the Attack phase? Or are they shafted because the Movement phase is done? Now it is the Attack phase, but they are not engaged...
    Evasive Retreat is only possible before a unit engages. Once engaged, evasive retreat is impossible, though normal retreat (which means suffering an attack of opportunity) may always be attempted by engaged units in the movement phase.

A reminder: all combat phases are resolved simultaneously. Initiative only matters to determine which side moves first (the winner chooses if they want to move first or last). Evasive retreat is thus limited to a specific situation in which a unit with faster movement, and movement points remaning, is attacked by a slower unit who attempts to engage. The faster unit can fall back and evade the slower one, so long as they don't wait around to trade blows first.

Does all that help?

-Osprey

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep... Thanks!

Thread Information