Thread: Orphan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Check this out!
    I hope you don't mind
    Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads
    > I'm playing Erik's cleric believe it or not. And am wanted in anuira for trying to win
    > Dhoesone back to the Rjuriks he,he

Nothing wrong with that. I have been playing a AD&D2 Rjurik Druid of the Oaken Grove in a party of half-elves and Anuireans. We finished the the Sword of Roele adventure and the rest of the party had some strange idea of taking the sword to the Chancellor for any future Emperor. My druid just wanted to destroy such a symbol of the time of oppression in the hope that the empire would never occur again. Unfortunately he didn't succeed.

Birthright tends to be a little Anuirean-centric!

Sorontar.
    ps. the party made him swear an oath to never try to do anything like that again without discussing it first. Grumble grumble....

Downloads
    Uploads

Battle of Rogeby

Behold Ylvarrik Castle where stone masons have erected a castle of most modern design with tall towers and great curtain walls, built upon a hill, where no army dares approach. See beyond the walls where tents are erected, men work to repair armor and weapons, where horses graze and are tended too by husbands. Look now inside the tall tower in the great room where Runolf, Eorl of Arvaald in Stjordvik, acts as host to the growing army and its commander, Herthbjorn Orogsbane. Herthbjorn and Runolf have a long and complicated history. Herthbjorn has always been a devoted friend and follower of the old king, Varri, now in his final years. Runolf's father, Olfjor, was a great thorn in the side of old Varri and opposed him on many points. Herthbjorn and Runolf were together at Sulitjelma, Andselvik, and Hoting's Pass. There they fought side by side against the enemies of the realm. So too did they fight together to recover the ancient crown of Stjordvik, long thought lost, and able to alert the king of Stjordvik when others would scry him. Was it not the lovely Astríðr who won the hearts of both Herthbjorn and Runolf, and put them to arms against each other? Since the passing of Olfjor, Runolf made peace with Varri through the efforts of Herthbjorn. Today they stand side by side examining reports from scouts about the location and strength of the Blood Skullers.

The scene is set and now comes a rider with most desperate news. The army had turned south and was making now directly for Ylvarrik Castle and the small army assembling there. Further news revealed that a group had broken off from the main body and was heading east toward Åbenhavn, the eorl's seat in Udvika. Herthbjorn paused a moment, for on the road to Åbenhavn lay the tiny settlement of Rogeby, where he and Wulfrik had so recently been. Now the village lay in grave danger.

At the village of Arvaby, where Wulfrik recovered his full health, word arrived of the comming of the Blood Skullers. Rumors told of a company of goblin archers and wolfriders bearing down the road to Åbenhavn. Instantly Wulfrik new his destiny, and gathered his gear and made for Rogeby where he would stand with the villagers against the goblins. He sent a messenger to Ylvarrik Castle to advise the Marshal of Stjordvik where he would be.

When the message arrived, it was given into the ears of Elgar Cheersong, singer of tales and one to make men fight in battle. Cuthbeort, Eorl of Hollenvik, and Malcolm, horseman of fame, were with Elgar when the word came to him. To Herthbjorn they made haste, for this news was curious to them. In the great hall they were offered meat and beer, and were welcomed by Herthbjorn. Elgar told of the messanger and reported his news.

"Why then does the boy go hence?"

"A healer there did much good for the boy after a grave wound and proposed a prophesy that he would save the town. I think he believes it his destiny to fight there now, for the enemy hath a detachment sent down the road to Åbenhavn."

Malcolm leaned back on his heels, "Say thee this town fetched a healer and now the lad acts as its champion? Such nobility is an inspiration to any who value honor!"

The bold skald proclaimed, "I must too away to Rogeby and record the deeds of this hero."

Herthbjorn protested, "I need you to sing songs to stiffen the resolve of my soldiers."

"Oh pussiant captain, you have singers here enough to make every man a battlerager. I must join him and sing his men to bravery and record the deeds of this prince of the Røykenskappa."

"Go then, but do me this favor, and bind yourself to it."

Elgar bowed deeply, and replied, "I am your servant in this."

"Make sure the boy is not killed."

"I shall look after him"

Herthbjorn, Cuthbeort, and Malcolm returned to the tables layed out with maps, messages, and meat to keep men strong. Runolf Ylvarrik reported the latest news of the enemy strength and positions. Malcolm noted the strenth of the forces moving west, and asked what forces might meet them.

"None can be spared to chase them." Herthbjorn declared.

"What of the Frontier Thunderers? They are a mighty band."

"They are already here." Runolf nodded solemly.

"Then the road is open through Åbenhavn!" Malcolm's jaw dropped.

"We must defeat this main force, and the detachment will flee back to the baron's protection."

"Indeed, but what of Rogeby, where Wulfrik will stand?"

"Wulfrik stands alone."

"This cannot be, I must away too and stand with him."

Herthbjorn pleaded, "Cuthbeort, old friend, do not say that you will desert me as well!"

"No, you old woodsman, you will need someone to look after you too, and I will stay at your side." With that the eorls bid Malcolm swift victories and and he them. But as he departed, Cuthbeort called to him, "How many such as you would it take to stop these wolfriders?"

"A dozen, good earl."

Cuthbeort took off his belt of soveriegnty and held it high, "get thee thy dozen knights and carry them back again." Cuthbeort was not a man to hear a thing and forget it, and he recalled how Elgar had once told Malcolm that his bloodline could travel across water to any destination in ancient legend. His great chain belt had on it a blue sapphire greater than an inch in size, a sielshegh gem, which empowered the bloodline with great strength. Both Cuthbeort and Malcom had the blood of Masela. "And do me this favor as well, bring it back to me in your own arms, old friend."

"I shall not fail," Malcolm almost wept as he embraced Cuthbeort. He put the belt on and made for his swift horse, Stormlord. He rode hard for the river Lagan which was just a few miles away and flowed into the river Northbyrn which then flowed into the Tael Firth. Once he reached the water he could make his way to the Colonsay Strait and up the river Strathcanaird to the fortress Fionnlagh, near his family's ancestoral estates.

When he reached the water he grasped the emperor's stone and willed himself across the sea as his ancestors had been said to do. As Elgar had described, the power lay dormant in his blood. Suddenly he found himself in old, familiar territory. He clamored up the paved road toward Fionnlagh where proud defenders of Freestead kept watch against Thurazor. Malcolm told the story of the boy Wulfrik and his planned defense of the village of Rogeby and asked for volunters to aid him.

At Rogeby itself, Wulfrik prayed with the residents to beloved Erik and sought strength to hold their little town against so fierce and bold an opponant. Heartened by their belief that Erik would aid them, they set out building a barricade around the town to prevent the wolfriders from charging into the town as well as a barrier to hide from the arrows of the archers. Most Rjurik defenders had some skill with the bow, though few could boast much skill with other weapons, except maybe the spear. A few of the villagers had served in the militia and could wield a spear with some skill, but all depended on the bow for success in the hunt. Wulfrik looked out upon his defenders and considered the force bearing down on him. No one could doubt their odds were grim, but fate called him, and he could not avoid his destiny.

Thread Information