Thread: Trade routes

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was bored at work. So I wrote this.

Now what is begin traded. If I transport wood from the spiderfell down to Illien. then Illien should have it as resourses thet can be traded futher, then I could trade the wood from Illien to the Imperial City. Now the imperial city only has a sernan need for wood. and it would give the max level of trade rout.

the conumer rate of the imperial city of the wood from the spider fell would then be added to Illien having the Law holders in Illien gaining more revinues from there taxses. Then the suplyer in the spider fell would need to have industry thet would count for all the wood begin choped. thet would need to be represented by a guild holding / or a manor holding, with the guild holding taxing the manor holding. By thees rules all holding thet produce something are manor holding.

list of productions.

1. Metals(sutable for tool making and weapon smithing)
    2. Ligth construction material (wood, sutable for boats, interour and town houses)
    3. Quarry construction material (pre worked stone, bricks, sutable for fortreses)
    4. Valuabls(decoratives such as gems and soapstone)
    5. Graywares(fures, wool, and stuff for clothing and interour)
    6. Tools(varius tools for varius needs)
    7. Foodstuffs(dry beef and such)
    8. Delicasi (such as tea)
    9. spices (like salt)
    10. Fasion and culture(tha paris/milano latest fasion in clothing and hats)

Now a manor holding can produce one of thees items. The guilds represent the market, and the labour. not the production. The Temple holdings can afect or even shut down a production by words alone, (using the media power) so thet the worker will not work, or the consumer will not consume. In efect supressing any income of the trade route.

the Guild can do the same thing, by having the members of his guild stop producing a portion of what is needed. the guild in efect taxses the workers. and keeps others from doing the jobs, thows not willing to give part of there pay to the guild.

The law clame is not as efective, taking monney from people for living in there houses, or working the land, or traveling the roads. an efective network of law can take all profit out of a trade any route. a border controle thet demands 1 GB for every caravan thet travels trow. or just the plain robin hood style taking the goods of the caravan. thay can in fact have the trade rout return negative income, with not only the profits gon, but the investment itselfe. Prolonged use of this will destroy the traderoute.

a posibility here is to have a EL of the charavans in the traderoute and of the Law hold teams, and the one with higer EL will have there will by force. Think of the goblin raider on the higway. the goblin party acts as a law holding in regard of taxing the charavans going trow. But if the charavan has higer EL then the goblins thay wount be able to manage there taxing. in efect the caravan is saved by there guards.

in the traderout description there is a description on the freqency of charavans. with the wery low end, ones a year. then perhaps there is a large caravan with loads of goods, and wery hig EL traveling long distance. (a big payoff for any raiders if thay manage to out manuver the caravan guards) But it will lower any border payments the trade route has to pay. Then goods are usualy stored by the ending guilder. It shall be noted how long the goods will last. (usualy until the next shipment)

Every provience thet the rout passes trow must note it in its descriptions for possible raiders rading the caravans. a large caravan could in fact be more powerfull then a lv 1 provience. with the exeptions of it having not way to produce anything.

large undertakings of the PC will demand thet thay have acsess to a manor thet produces the goods thay need. and it has to be done trow the trade route network. or the manor begin in the same provience. this traderout network can be seen similar to the lay line network of the magi. but more complex.

tha caravan action is a character/adventure action, if no active trade route is in use. or the characters know of a manor with pleanty of suplyes. thay can do caravan action to trade with the manor for example if there is a need to build some ships. it would be nice to have the wood neded.

This system need not count suplyes. But only what the GB's can represeant in any given provienc. and thet by what is acsesable in thet given provienc. Now if i have 10 GB and like to build a fleat. and there is acsess to wood. I dont have to do anything more then declear I build this type of a ship.

But on the other hand there is no acsess to the wood. I can do a caravan action and efectively get some wood from nabouring provience. This action can be used as raiding action. if in need for something you find in the next provience, you can always take it. be it by stelth or by Intimidation of your higer EL Or by pure diplomacy in order to pay for the goods, in RP or GP.

The trade rout only represents some NPC plying there trade witch is the Charavan action. The pirates of the sea are a good example of thet action. raiding the coast towns of one empire to sell in the next. a good example of involentary trade.

only remember you dont need a mountain to make a sword.

Downloads
    Uploads
    To each his own but i find when you get to "crazy" with all of the extra buildings and stuff it becomes Civright instead of Birthright. Birthright is not a turn based strategy game it still is primarly a rpg.Just my two cens worth.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Tru, wery true

did you read my "ego" post

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to agree with bulletmagnet that a Civ model is not the way to go.

Also I don`t get involved in the minutia of any holding type that isn`t

central to the campaign. If the campiagn were centered around guilds, I

would track commodities as Teloft has suggested. As its not I don`t. Its

only because of my outside interest in trade that my trade system is as

articulated as it is, since I have only land, law, and temple regents as

PC`s IMC.

Kenneth Gauck

kgauck@mchsi.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:49am, bulletmagnet wrote:

> This post was generated by the Birthright.net message forum.

> You can view the entire thread at:

> http://www.birthright.net/forums/ind...=ST&f=2&t=2228

>

> bulletmagnet wrote:

> To each his own but i find when you get to "crazy" with all

> of the extra buildings and stuff it becomes Civright instead of

> Birthright. Birthright is not a turn based strategy game it still is

> primarly a rpg.Just my two cens worth.

You could have the best of both worlds if you do it right, but you need

to have that outlook from the start. As the system is, you can`t really

adventure to raise your guild levels without some creative improvising

for the DM. But if you had a multi-resource system, adventuring to

capture/secure/obtain/defend particular resources can be critical and it

would be nice to have the results `port right into the domain system

afterward.

That being said, I`ve never been a fan of very specific resource types.

For my trade system, seperating all goods into "resources" and "produced

goods" was good enough for me. Combined with a trade value, this was

all the specifics I needed. To each his own. (Unfortunately I never

got the math right and this trade system didn`t work well in actual

playtesting.)

That being said, however, I advise you to take a look at "Fields of

Blood d20" since I thought I saw something like this in there. I didn`t

purchase it because I don`t like the idea of keeping track of specific

resources and building specific buildings for domain effects.

After experimenting with the Black Nova Trader system, I`ll probably be

writing up a trade system that uses `materials`, `provisions`, and

`goods` but we`ll see.

As is, I don`t really like that birthright keeps track of individual

military units and fortifications. For me, an abstract Military holding

would be fine. But anyway...

It`s a decent idea; don`t be discouraged. I like innovation and I`d be

happy to try out your system once you have it built to your liking. And

if you can make it fit in with my specialty holding system at

http://www.geocities.com/lordrahvin/holdings.htm, that`d be ideal. ;)

--Lord Rahvin
    NOTE: Messages posted by Birthright-L are automatically inserted posts originating from the mailing list linked to the forum.

Downloads
    Uploads
    >

> did you read my "ego" post

It`s gonna take me awhile to further develop my opinions about it. On

the one hand, it sounds really cool but on the other hand it doesn`t

sound all that different from requiring a skill check or something. By

`ego` your talking about a check DC and nothing more, right? Your blood

ability isn`t gonna go off on its own or show signs of being manic

depressive or anything...

We`ll see. I`m not sure what to make of it yet. But yeah I saw it.

Thanks for posting it.

--Lord Rahvin
    NOTE: Messages posted by Birthright-L are automatically inserted posts originating from the mailing list linked to the forum.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also realy like the idee of the trade routes begin like provs. where you create a traderout. then you rule up the traderout then you create a holding on the traderout. With all the normal trade rout holdings.

about the manor hold.

I did some thougths about it.

I like to think of the manor as some sort of home for the elite. but more. its the center for production, in slave times it could be a large cotton field. and the level of it shows how much of the work force is cout up in the production. efectively drying up the work-pool for other enteprises.

service staff would only be a lv0 manor.

the keep of a noble family is a manor holding. So is a large catheral of note. Thees holdings can in fact serv as locations in a prov. By using this system the guild holding no longer represents the production. but rater the service and markets. for example the service of labour to the production site. and the one whom has thet hold controles the servise.

the trade routes as proviences.

What about Networking.
    To network the traderoutes.

Here I have a traderoutes from prov A over several prov to the prov B. Now I like to conect my traderout to the next prov to prov A. I can do so and enlarging the possible size of the traderout by the size of tha manor holdings in the conecting traderout.

now the expence of the conection is by the level all the manors in the conected prov. and increased by the type of transist. no Higway giving a hig multiplyer of the cost of transport of goods.

Thread Information