Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm still pretty new to Birthright. Downloaded the main books + the books about Rjurik, Brechtür, Khinasi and Vosgaard from svgames. Now I've read the main books, but I still have a lot of questions about the numerous churches in Anuire. How many are they? What do they stand for? Where can I find more information about them?

Thanks in advance,

- Azulthar

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Azulthar@Jan 20 2004, 04:41 PM
    I'm still pretty new to Birthright. Downloaded the main books + the books about Rjurik, Brechtür, Khinasi and Vosgaard from svgames. Now I've read the main books, but I still have a lot of questions about the numerous churches in Anuire. How many are they? What do they stand for? Where can I find more information about them?

Thanks in advance,

- Azulthar
    Try the Book of Priestcraft which lists the dogma of 'most' of them.
    Duane Eggert

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Also the uncoming Atlas of Cerilia will have a description of each of the temples mentioned in ruins of empire and the other expansions. Here is an example of what these descriptions will look like. (Note: This is just a draft version, there may be some changes before it is released).

Orthodox Imperial Temple of Haelyn

Regent: Lavalan Briesen.
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral.

Holding Level Province Domain
    Temple 4 Aerele (4/1) Diemed
    Temple 3 Bliene (3/6) Diemed
    Temple 6 Ciliene (6/0) Diemed
    Temple 3 Duene (3/2) Diemed
    Temple 5 Moere (5/0) Diemed
    Temple 2 Tier (2/3) Diemed

Treasury: 8 GB / 10 RP.
    Income: 15 GB / 23 RP.
    Expenses: 12 GB (Military 6 GB; Fortifications 1 GB; Court 5 GB).
    Fortifications: Avelerine Cathedral (level 4).

The Orthodox Imperial Temple of Haelyn in Diemed claims to be the true heir to the word of Haelyn. Its priests claim the distinction of being the first church of Haelyn founded after Deismaar. The original Book of Laws, the most sacred text in the church of Haelyn, resides in the Avelerine Cathedral in Aerele. The church draws from centuries of study of the Book of Laws to defend its exacting dogma, which at its heart holds that a society can thrive only by adhering to a strict rule of law. Laws, the church believes, exist to regulate a person’s inclination to place his own needs over those of the society. The only way to preserve the rule of law is to ensure that every member of a society has a specific, unchanging function. As it is the responsibility of the ruler to guide the endeavours of his people, so it is the responsibility of the ruled to follow their prince’s dictates.
    Where the Orthodox doctrine has encountered opposition is in its inflexible view that draconian adherence to an unchanging set of laws and the institution of a rigid social hierarchy are the only ways to preserve order. The Orthodox clergy argues that its views are supported in the writings of the Book of Laws, a claim that has brought about numerous debates and has caused at least one rift within the church. Of the many ceremonies that are part of the Temple’s rituals, most emphasize the importance of maintaining the strength of the social order.
    The Orthodox Imperial Temple argues that it is the direct continuation of the original Imperial Temple of Haelyn, and, as such, should be accorded a position of primacy by the other temples of Haelyn. Orthodox priests further argue that this primacy is reflected in the fact that temple is based from the oldest church built to honour Haelyn, as well as its role as the keeper of the Book of Laws. This view has done much to alienate the other branches of Haelyn’s religion.

Locations:
    The most important site in the Orthodox Imperial Temple, and indeed in all of Haelyn’s religion, is the Avelerine Cathedral, which sits atop a bluff overlooking the city of Aerele. Most Haelynites recognize the cathedral as the oldest temple to Haelyn in Cerilia. Though little more than a small chapel when originally constructed in 1 HC, the site has since been expanded and built up to the point where it is now the largest cathedral in Cerilia, and quite possibly the most richly appointed. It has had in its vaults the treasures of a thousand years of empire, and many of these served to finance the expansion of the temple’s property. It houses an army of scribes, supplicants, and priests, and remains the most powerful and influential church of Haelyn.
    Adding to the cathedral’s mystique is the fact that the holy Book of Laws is kept within its vaults. The Book of Laws, written in Haelyn’s own hand, appeared Avelerine chapel on the 6th of Pasiphiel in 1 HC, a day now celebrated by Haelynites as the Day of Holy Justice.

Affiliated Orders:
    The most famous order associated with the worship of Haelyn is the Holy Order of Haelyn’s Aegis. Originally a subservient order of knights committed to the defence of Anuire, Haelyn’s Aegis is now a separate temple. Today, Haelyn’s Aegis looks to the Orthodox Imperial Temple for doctrinal guidance while concentrating all its efforts on the defence of the lands of men. The Holy Order is perhaps the only temple of Haelyn in Anuire that does not openly oppose the Orthodox Temple.
    See separate entry for Haelyn’s Aegis for more information.
    The Guardians of Holy Orthodoxy, two units of Knights of Haelyn, are based in Ciliene. The knights are based out of the Guardian Monastery, an imposing edifice overlooking the Straits of Aerele in Ciliene.

Important Figures:
    Lavalan Briesen, Patriarch of the Orthodox Imperial Temple of Haelyn (MA; C5, Haelyn; Scion of Anduiras, major, 15). The fiery Lavalan Briesen, a man in his late forties, is the youngest man in centuries to assume the mantle of Patriarch. However, his youth has not served as a detriment to his commitment to the orthodox cause. In his time as regent of the temple, he has managed to bring a kind of rejuvenated enthusiasm into the orthodox faith.
    Despite the fact that the members of the temple’s Holy Synod, the advisory and governing body responsible for selecting the Patriarch, are nearly all elderly men with decades more experience than the current Patriarch, Briesen has managed to sway them to his cause and are among his most ardent supporters.
    Briesen currently has two items on his agenda, which he regards as merely being the first of many steps along the road to reuniting the Imperial Temple of Haelyn. The first item is opposition to the Western Imperial Temple of Haelyn, whose moderate stance he despises and who he regards as little more than a political puppet for the Prince of Avanil. Secondly, he would like to see the Orthodox Temple reclaim its holdings on the Southern Coast, which will almost certainly lead to conflict with Medoere and the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn, both of whom he regards as little more than rebels.
    The latter item on Briesen’s agenda has won him many supporters and adherents in the Ducal Court of Diemed. Indeed, Briesen has become a close friend and trusted confidant of the Duke of Diemed, Heirl Diem. Though the crown of Diemed and the clergy of the Orthodox Temple have been traditionally allied for the last 1500 years, the alliance has become even stronger of late.

Military:
    In addition to the two units of Knights of Haelyn, the Orthodox Imperial Temple maintains a unit of infantry in the province of Tier and one unit of infantry in Duene.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Also the uncoming Atlas of Cerilia will have a description of each of the temples mentioned in ruins of empire and the other expansions. Here is an example of what these descriptions will look like. (Note: This is just a draft version, there may be some changes before it is released).
    Wow, this looks great! Just the kind of info I was looking for. I'm really looking forward to this atlas...will it be a matter of weeks, months or years until it is released?

Try the Book of Priestcraft which lists the dogma of 'most' of them.
    Ofcourse, the Book of Priestcraft...how could I have missed that one...however, I've already bought a lot of RP books lately...is it worth it? What's in it besides information about most of the dogmas? Does it have a lot of second edition rules?

- Azulthar

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you are playing 2nd ed rules then the Book of Priestcraft (and the Book of Magecraft) are important books. If not, then use the BRCS and Atlas as your baseline.

BoP has some battle magic and realm spells as well as pretty detailed info on Investiture. It also has different spells (spheres) for the different paladins. It has priest/paladin structures by church (not just deity) which have 'required' proficiencies and 'bonus' ones at later levels.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by irdeggman@Jan 21 2004, 04:41 PM
    If you are playing 2nd ed rules then the Book of Priestcraft (and the Book of Magecraft) are important books. If not, then use the BRCS and Atlas as your baseline.
    When the Atlas arrives of course...

CM.

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Azulthar@Jan 21 2004, 08:50 PM
    Wow, this looks great! Just the kind of info I was looking for. I'm really looking forward to this atlas...will it be a matter of weeks, months or years until it is released?
    Hopefully at matter of weeks at this stage. I have a week or two of holidays starting from Monday, so hopefully I can get the sections I need to complete done during that time. Then there is editing and so forth which will take a couple of weeks so I don't like to make a prediction of an exact date, but soonish... I hope...
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow! When I read you'd downloaded all the core rulebooks from SVgames I assumed you meant they were free - I almost made a mess of my pants! I took a look, and was slightly disapointed that they cost money, but it still looks like a great resourse. Now all I have to do is save some cash and learn to trust internet shopping!
    Cheers for pointing the website out!
    Sgt. Froggatt

Downloads
    Uploads
    removed text due to legal issues

Arjan

Downloads
    Uploads
    I saw a bad scan version at a friends hous, one thet he got of the net the same way he gets MP3. But I like books to be in hardcover.

Thread Information