Hi everybody. We just started a BR campaign and are having fun with it. I'm modeling a lot of it off the computer game (which I really liked) and as the DM, I interact with my players primarily by having 4 advisers who are ever present in the court. The PCs are the regent and her lieutenants.

Anyway, we've got 4 advisers, each with distinct personalities and tendencies to jockey for favor and "air time" to tell the PCs what they think they should do. We have:

The Chamberlain -- His job is to inform and advise the PCs of the political status of their realm and the surrounding areas. In our campaign he's a bit overbearing and always ready to advise on what he thinks the PC should do, from his LN point of view of course.

The General -- His job is track the strength and movement of armies in their realm and the surrounding areas. In our campaign he's a bit of a warmonger (he's LN) and sounds like a Republican trying to increase the defense budget. He works hand in hand with the spymaster (below) for information.

The Magical Advisor -- Her job is to keep tabs on the magical power and potential thereof in our realm. In our campaign, since our realm doesn't own any sources and we have a temple regent, she is strictly a "Divine" magical advisor and is quite suspicious of mages. She tends to recommend divination and also offers spiritual advice according to the recommendations of the church (NG). She also may be sharing her post soon as a court wizard is close to being hired.

The Spymaster -- His job is to inform the regent of the rumors, plots, and intrigues developing in and his realm. In our campaign he's dejected and a bit of a smartass, as our realm has only 1guild and no spy network to speak of. He likes to mention all the time that if we had spies we could rely on information we paid for rather on on whatever spills from the chamberlain's mouth. The PCs have taken a liking to him though and are currently working on spy networks. (AL: CN)

Anyway, just thought I'd share that "advisor interface" I use to interact with the PCs during domain actions. They occasionally request audiences behind closed doors (so I keep my mouth shut) but we've all been enjoying the well-meaning and bickering personalities of the court advisors.

camelotcrusade