Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Art Of War

Downloads
    Uploads
    Heya, all

In my current campaign, war has become more and more of a factor than it was when my players were rulers of their tiny little domains (now ? My group consists of the Ports of Call Exchange Consortium (which recently "inherited" Guilder Kalien's company and domain), the twin-duchies of Roesone-Osoerde, the newly created "Duchy" Mordechai (located on Albiele Island), and a representative of the Eloéle church of Mieres).

Unfortunately, I find the included War Rules, with the War Cards, to put it mildly, lacking in terms of strategy and function .

I've been looking for something to replace them with, but have been unable to find anything that works.

What my players want:

Something "simple", but that takes into account different unit types (so that we can continue using the rules for maintenance etc). Outcomes should be easily to calculate, but shouldn't be TOO "miniature-gaming-Warhammer-Style" complicated, as it would load to our gaming sessions becoming more a tabletop miniatures battles-session...

Anyone come across systems that work well ?

Best regards;
    Per-Karsten

Downloads
    Uploads
    I continue to find the warcards unbeatable. The warcard rules are another

issue. I use the warcards as minatures. I arrange them in column or line

as representations of the units themselves. They can move one card length.

When adjacent to the enemy, they can attack. All the numbers on the cards

work fine. I treat them more like wargame counters. I figure that the long

side of a warcard if 50 feet, so I can use them for archery range increments

too. Most of the time I just move them around on the table, but I have

gotten on the floor and used pillows for hills, &c, for some bigger battles.

Kenneth Gauck

kgauck@mchsi.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    In my 3.0 game I use the following modifications.

I use an open ended battle map with fortifications at the center. Each unit is represented in a singel square.

For every 5 extra a unit hits by an additional hit is done to the defending uint.

I assighn bonuses and penalties to morale basd on how outnumbered units are, up to a max of +-5 at 4 to one outnumbered. As units take hits thier stats degrade.

Every round I make opposed warcraft checks to determine which side moves first.

Units may stack in the same square.

If routed unit cannot move due to enemy units surronding it, it takes a hit.

Battle rounds are 5 minutes long.

So far these modifications have worked fairly well with the playtest rules.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had put together a spreadsheet to automate combat pretty easily for Birthright. I thought I submitted it to this site, but the Downloads link isn't working, so I can't tell if I did or not.

Short story: input what units you have, what skills, what blood abilities, roll a d20, and presto! Out comes the result, as well as how many units are lost on each side. I'm not sure where I put it, but I'll look around and see what I can find.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for all suggestions... I try to avoid using a computer for our games - if I had a small enough laptop I might, though...

The best solution I've come across so far is the Open Mass Combat System found in the "Quintessential Fighter" book by Mongoose Publishing - it looks good, at least on paper.

If my precognitions skills are good, I might have the need for them on friday

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmmm. Well, I found the spreadsheet! Amazing!

However, I don't see any way to submit it to this website. I'll try emailing it to our Lord Grand Webmaster to see if he will post it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    How do you deal with Battle Magic in your spreadsheet? I would be VERY greateful if you could send it to this adress:

azrai@spitaki.org

Thank you

Downloads
    Uploads
    Armies with battle magic casters add strength to it. It's fairly simplified, I admit, but it works quick.

Senior Member marcum uth mather's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ther is a book oit there called war. i bought it thinking cool a book about mass combat. and you know what? it sucks!!!!! if you see this book run away fast and never look back. also about the spread sheet i cant fine it if you post were it is hear or send me a e-mail at bavoltz@yahoo.com i would realy be geatsfull

Downloads
    Uploads
    I submitted it to Arjun so that he would (hopefully) put it in the downloads section.

Thread Information