Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi everybody!

First, you are doing great job in redesigning the BR core rules! I used dr Doom's conversion in 2001 and I was amazed at the level of detail and consistency in these rules. The current playtest version is so much better! B) Unfortunately, I cannot contribute to the playtest since I haven't had time to play BR over a year now. However, I am thinking of starting a new campaign soon and it would certainly use the rules in running the campaign.

A friend, who happend to visit this site, told me that the planned release of the revised version of BRCS is January 2004. I came here to verify. I looked around in the offcial announcments but could not find the information. So,

*Is the planned date of release January next year?
    (In the beginning, in the end, or no time particular in January?)
    *If not, then when?
    *If yes, is it realistic that the deadline will be met?

*Also, will the revised BRCS use 3.0 or 3.5 rules?

Thanks for your time and answers! (My apologies if I just missed the relevant discussion. )

Best regards

Cruelsader

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Cruelsader@Dec 17 2003, 10:37 AM
    Hi everybody!

First, you are doing great job in redesigning the BR core rules! I used dr Doom's conversion in 2001 and I was amazed at the level of detail and consistency in these rules. The current playtest version is so much better! B) Unfortunately, I cannot contribute to the playtest since I haven't had time to play BR over a year now. However, I am thinking of starting a new campaign soon and it would certainly use the rules in running the campaign.

A friend, who happend to visit this site, told me that the planned release of the revised version of BRCS is January 2004. I came here to verify. I looked around in the offcial announcments but could not find the information. So,

*Is the planned date of release January next year?
    (In the beginning, in the end, or no time particular in January?)
    *If not, then when?
    *If yes, is it realistic that the deadline will be met?

*Also, will the revised BRCS use 3.0 or 3.5 rules?

Thanks for your time and answers! (My apologies if I just missed the relevant discussion. )

Best regards

Cruelsader
    Part of the revision process is updating to 3.5. Ian is heading up putting it together, but is currently experiencing computer problems that is impairing him.

The revision of Chap 2 was posted on another thread so you can look it over.

The revision will again be a playtest, since there will likely be some subtantial changes based on the feedback from the masses.

Sorry I can't supply you with any type of date for the release but there are too many variables missing for me to make an assessment on it. I've got to get back to the revision of Chap 8 so I can support the project.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by "doom"
    I am slighly concerned that (aside from Duane`s
    work on Chapter 2), we haven`t seen much "foward progess" in the past
    few months (since we set up tasks).

I think that it would be a "good thing" for us as a group to do one of
    two things.

#1) Prepare and release a revision of the playtest document incorporating
    all of the user comments/upgrades by January (the anniversery of the
    first release).

- or -

#2) Step down (as a group) and lets some fresh young folk with more time
    on their hands have a whack at it.
    Just happened on this post by chance. The quoted lines were written in November Maybe it is a forum bug that I could see doom's post because I cannot find the topic normally.

Any comments?

I appreciate the hard work the developers team is doing. However, it would be great to get an idea what is the progress (if there is any besides Duan's contribution) I am preparing to launch a new 3.5 based campaign in much altered Birthright setting. I am certain that despite many alterations I have made, the new playtest version would be very useful. I hope that putting these rules into actual play would also contribute to the development of d20 BRCS. So far I have been hesitant to look closely at the old playtest rules because I have many things to prepare and I know the current playetst version will likely change considerably. As regards the Duan's work, then it looks very good but it is somewhat difficult to get the details without other chapters.

Whatever your answer, thanks once more for putting so much effort into producing the high quality playtest rules!

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    At the moment, my main concern is with releasing the first part of the Atlas of Cerilia project to provide a setting to be used with the rulebook. Once that is done then I shall resume working on the revision of the rulebook (as well as the second part of the Atlas).
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Forgive my ignorance but who else, besides Raesene Andu and irdeggman, is working (is supposed to be working :P ) on the new playtest version?

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is pretty much it at the moment, although there a couple of other members of the team still around who post from time to time.

There are more working on the Atlas (5 writers at the moment).
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Per my notes:

Chap 1 had some revisions made by Doom, most of which have been posted piecemeal by Ian (Raesene Andu)

Chap 2 - has been revised and put out for review/comment (more revisions based on those comments forthcoming)

Chap 6 - Armies and Warfare - is being revised by Dan McSorley, but I don't know the status of that.

Chap 8 - Outside the Lines (the stuff that didn't fit anywhere else) - is being revised by me, but slowly. Prestige classes from 3.5 and newer WotC books are pretty vast. I've also relegated it to a lower level of importance in comparison to the rest of life in general.

Those are the only ones I know that are 'actively' being worked.

Chap 5 - Domains - was being worked by Jan (Mark_Aurel) but I haven't seen anything lately.

Basically most people have gone inactive for personal reasons.

This is something that has been very common throughout the process. There have been 15 - 20 different people associated with the BRCS project at one time or another, that deteriorated down to 3 of us (Travis, Jan and myself) putting it together, finally the last push was by Travis and myself (mostly Travis). If Travis (Doom) hadn't stepped up to push it then it wuld never have gotten to the point it is at now.

Ian has stepped up to try to be the house mother for the revision, but he has found the same commitment/productivity issues with the Atlas project. People say they want to help, some very vocally, but when push comes to shove they vanish and don't produce. It is like people just want to see their name associated with it - or maybe have an inside shot at getting their own house-rules inserted into the final product. That was one of the reasons I pushed for using the title editor inside of author for those who had responsibility for individual chapters. I wanted to remove the 'it's mine and thats what I want' mentality from the process and yet still keep some measure of overall responsibility.

Ian stepped up to replace Travis (inactive due to being a new dad) after finally embracing the call of the Dark Side (3rd ed/3.5) which he had fought for a very long time - which was why he wasn't more active in the develpement of the BRCS-playtest and focused on the Atlas instead.

I hope that helps to clarify things a little more.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is exactly the information I was looking for! Thank you very much!

Downloads
    Uploads
    OUTSTANDING for that info... I know i have not had many posts but still reading over the playtest and the new version 3.5. Also i have to replace a few books that for some reason has come up missing. I would love to help and does not matter if my name was even involved. If people are pushing for the new version and the atlas so fast they should step up and help without there nameeven being involved.
    Unfortuneately i can help do the the fact that i have a bigger calling right now (the U.S. Military). I am being deployed to Egypt for 8 months. I do not know my internet access yet. However i will be getting everything you guys put out via snail mail.
    Just because i am there dont mean i wont still game. I am taking most of my books to introduce more people to the game and take out some stress...
    Thanks for the great work from all three to twenty people that had influence in all projects you guys have done and will contiue to do in the future......

Thread Information