Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    On page 68, under Divine spellcasting, there is a paragraph that reads, in part:

"All blooded scions contain with them some small spark of divinity; the more powerful the bloodline, the more powerful the spark. Any scion with a True bloodline is capable of channeling enough divine energyto cast divine spells without a patron deity. ..."

Nowhere in the rules that I have been able to locate does it give the parameters or rules to adjucate this. This leads me to believe that this concept was originally planned for Chapter 4, but was excised during one of the internal revisions and the refeence was overlooked.

Can someone please either point out the area in the rules I am missing, or confirm that this was an oversight?
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion -- and usually easier."

- R. A. Heinlien, from The Collected works of Lazarus Long

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know where it says so, but I do know both the Serpent and the Sphinx (and, presumably, others?) have clerics that serve them and can cast divine spells. As the text on page 68 also says that those who completed their bloodform can also grant spells to clerics, it seems to me that this is a mechanic inteded to make such things possbile within the rules.
    Then again, there might a precedent I am missing. I am hardly knowledgable in BR matters.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yair is absolutely correct. The reason for this addition was to account for awnsheglien as pointed out.

More details could be useful but without refering to Deities and Demigods (not a core book and not everyone will have it as a reference) for how to handle this type of thing it was thought to best leave the specific methods of application to the individual DM.:)
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ehrsheghlien might also have the same ability.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is an interesting topic and should clearly be specified.

According to Deities&Demigods the ability to give grant spells starts with the Demigod status.

I would propose the way presented in "On hallowed ground" 2. Edition: if one has a certain number of devoted followers, he can grant spells.

Maybe the prerequisites for Birthright: True bloodline, devoted followers; maybe one could restrict the the maxium spell level somehow.

I would not like to have that every true blooded can grant spells.
    my purpose is now to lead you into the Pallace where you shall have a clear and delightful view of all those various objects, and scattered excellencies, that lye up and down upon the face of creation, which are only seen by those that go down into the Seas, and by no other....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Azrai wrote:

>This post was generated by the Birthright.net message forum.
    > You can view the entire thread at: http://www.birthright.net/read.php?TID=1383
    >
    > Azrai wrote:
    > This is an interesting topic and should clearly be specified.
    >
    >According to Deities&Demigods the ability to give grant spells starts with the Demigod status.
    >
    >I would propose the way presented in "On hallowed ground" 2. Edition: if one has a certain number of devoted followers, he can grant spells.
    >
    >Maybe the prerequisites for Birthright: True bloodline, devoted followers; maybe one could restrict the the maxium spell level somehow.
    >
    >I would not like to have that every true blooded can grant spells.
    >
    EVERY true blooded?
    How much true blooded persons besides the Gorgon are e.g . in Anuire? ;-)
    bye
    Michael Romes

************************************************** **************************
    The Birthright Homepage: http://www.birthright.net
    Birthright-l Archives: http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/birthright-l.html
    To unsubscribe, send email to LISTSERV@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM
    with UNSUB BIRTHRIGHT-L in the body of the message.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well - there is the Spider and Rhoubhe. Although I don't see either one being of the granting spells type of creatures. There is also the potential of the Cold Rider.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Azrai

Maybe the prerequisites for Birthright: True bloodline, devoted followers; maybe one could restrict the the maxium spell level somehow.
    No bad idea. In the "deities and demigods" rule book a demigod must "borrow" spells from a more powerful deity instead of granting them himself. In 3rd Edition the Gorgon is written as a "quasi deity" (divine rank 0), so he might not grant spells (a demigod must have divine rank 1+).

The serpent or the sphinx might have more followers and so a divine rank or more each. Then there are two opinions: First they "choose" a "superior-deity" (such as Belinik or Kriesha, maybe the Cold Raider) they could "borrow" high level spells to "grant" them to their followers.
    The other opinion would be, that they still have enough divine "energy" to "steal" it from themselves. If opinion 2 is taken, there should be an "energy limit" (something like exhaustion, if granting a spell higher than 5th level). So they could grant spells until 9th level, but it should exhaust them this much, that they simply don't grant it (in fear they could be easily get killed if exhausted this much). If such a being gains more than 6 divine ranks (they become a lesser deity), the exhaustion should be gone...
    May Khirdai always bless your sword and his lightning struck your enemies!

Downloads
    Uploads
    an idee for a dm to conect the Spell level thay can grant with there RP.

If I am to grant a 2nd level spell for 3 month I burn 2 RP. Now everyone devoded to me with cleric levels can cast this 2nd lv spell as any other cleric.

Downloads
    Uploads
    teloft:

> an idee for a dm to conect the Spell level thay can grant with there

> RP.

>

> If I am to grant a 2nd level spell for 3 month I burn 2 RP. Now

> everyone devoded to me with cleric levels can cast this 2nd lv spell as

> any other cleric.

Scions are gods now?

In My Cerilia I would *certainly* not allow this as a general rule; and I would

baulk at using it even in highly specific cases (i.e. like the Serpent and the

weirdness involved there). Are godless clerics really a good addition to the

Cerilian setting?

--

John Machin

(trithemius@paradise.net.nz)

-----------------------------------------------------

"Nothing is more beautiful than to know the All."

-----------------------------------------------------

- Athanasius Kircher, `The Great Art of Knowledge`.
    John 'Trithemius' Machin
    The Other John From Dunedin (now in Canberra)
    "Power performs the Miracle." - Johannes Trithemius

Thread Information