Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Special Guest (Donor) morgramen's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Master Dao Rin@Dec 30 2003, 12:42 AM
    I liked this one the least of the three. Fellowship is still my favorite of these Jackson movies.

Too bad they didn&#39;t do The Hobbit first ... <_<
    I concur with the most esteemed Master Rin (HEY MAN&#33; ). I liked RotK very much, but less than Fellowship. RotK rocked for wicked cool batle scenes and effects, but story wise, I still absolutely *LOVED* the Fellowship.

Of course, that might be partially because the Fellowship was the first and the original "OH MY GOD&#33; THAT"S INCREDIBLE&#33;" experience of the trilogy. Sort of like the first Matrix. The effects were incredible and brand new - first time I&#39;d seen anything like it. By number 2 though, it&#39;d been done before.

I remember with Fellowship getting goose pimples over and over again. THe entire thing was a masterpiece. By number 3 though, I had seen it all before. The goose pimples still came (charge of the Rohirim anyone??? When Sam grabs Frodo and carries him up Mt. Doom??) but they went away much quicker than the first film.

I might change my opinion of RotK though once the Extended DVD hits. I expect it to be very much like the TT (which Extended Edition was immensly superior to the cinema release.) I expect the Extended DVD of RotK to be twice th film that is currently ooo-ing and ahh-ing audiences.

As itstands now though, the Fellowship rocked the universe - hands down, no contest.

BTW - I saw the supposed "trailer" for the Hobbit that is rumoured to be making a debut in 2006. If you look closely (at least on the version I saw), you&#39;ll notice that "Smaug" is actually the dragon from Disney&#39;s movie "Dragonslayer", and all the additonal "Hobbit" footoage comes from that movie.
    &quot;You need people of intelligence on this mission... quest... thing.&quot;

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by kgauck@Dec 29 2003, 07:18 PM
    ----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, December 29, 2003 7:05 PM

> I don`t care about filmcraft and I certainly don`t care about the "wider

audience"

There is nothing wrong with that, per se, but I am glad the film is well

made and appeals to a wider audience, because it means the next time someone

comes to a studio head with a fantasy film, especially one based on a book

with a built in fan base, they are more willing to take the chance. New

Line bet the farm on LotR, and had the films not done a blockbuster

business, any time a script had elves, dwarves, or magic the only thing that

would run through the minds of studio execs is: "Didn`t that failed LotR

sink a whole studio? Dump this script."

Certainly our own enjoyment of a film is based on whether it appeals to us,

but when it also appeals to others, its more likely we`ll get to see more of

the same kind of thing.

Kenneth Gauck

kgauck@mchsi.com

That, of course, is the greatest contribution to these films.

HEY MORG&#33;
    I&#39;m a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Can&#39;t say which of the movies I like better but I think ROTK was more emotionally powerful than the first two. Sweeping battle scenes aside, the portrayal of the relationship between Frodo and Sam was superb. It captured the mood that Tolkien had put in words. Thumbs up to Sean Astin, Elijah Wood and Peter Jackson. I watched it in a quite empty cinema but my friends who watched the movie in full cinemas said there was nary a dry eye in the cinema.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I fall into the Fellowship camp myself. I like Gandalf the Grey much better than Gandalf the White, and I like the interplay between the characters more in the first one.

As for the Hobbit, Peter Jackson has said that he in interrested in doing it, and that he has plans on bringing back Ian McKellan, Ian Holm, and the fellow that played Gollum for it if he does. However, the studio has made no steps towards making it yet and Peter Jackson and WETA is too busy with King Kong right now in any event.
    "My conscience hath a thousand several tongues,
    And every tongue brings in a several tale,
    And every tale condemns me for a villain."

-William Shakespeare, Richard III (Act 5, Scene 3)

Thread Information