Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Birthright Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dragon 315 And Bloodlines

Haven`t seen it yet. Theme is campaign classics, articles for old settings.

http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=70970

"Birthright: Bloodlines for D&D 3.5."

Anybody have the magazine? I guess subscribers are starting to receive it.

--

Daniel McSorley

Here is to crossing your fingers and hoping that they do it well.

The next question will be if it will be incorporated into the BRCS?

Anybody know who wrote the article?

Eosin

>

> Haven`t seen it yet. Theme is campaign classics, articles for old settings.

>

> http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=70970

>

> "Birthright: Bloodlines for D&D 3.5."

>

> Anybody have the magazine? I guess subscribers are starting to receive it.

> --

> Daniel McSorley

>

>

>

>

>

>

>
    Hello, I guess I gotta have a sig.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Dragon 315 is officially anounced as a "lost campaign source book". As one can see in the pre-release introduction, there will also be an "official" BIRTHRIGHT-BLOODLINE included.

What the h** does this mean? Did P-Publishing consult any fan-projects?
    my purpose is now to lead you into the Pallace where you shall have a clear and delightful view of all those various objects, and scattered excellencies, that lye up and down upon the face of creation, which are only seen by those that go down into the Seas, and by no other....

Birthright Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Azrai wrote:

> The Dragon 315 is officially anounced as a "lost campaign source

> book". As one can see in the pre-release introduction, there will

> also be an "official" BIRTHRIGHT-BLOODLINE included. What the

> h** does this mean? Did P-Publishing consult any fan-projects?

We know, details of this were on enworld a couple days ago.

They didn`t ask anyone as far as I know, but why should they? They have

articles for a ton of settings in that issue, and I`m looking forward to

picking it up.

The bloodline system in there is a feat system, as I understand it you

spend a feat for a minor bloodline, and can then buy powers as additional

feats. Extra feats can raise you to major, and then great bloodline, and

each power has different effects depending on what your strength is.

For what it is, not bad. They didn`t need to do numerical strength

because that`s necessary only for domain games with RP and stuff. I

probably won`t use it, but hey, the more people that hear of birthright,

the more will google for it and find us all here :)

The word "official" in the press release bugs you? Who cares? It`s just

marketing.

--

Daniel McSorley

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by DanMcSorley@Dec 10 2003, 03:35 AM
    The bloodline system in there is a feat system, as I understand it you spend a feat for a minor bloodline, and can then buy powers as additional feats.* Extra feats can raise you to major, and then great bloodline, and each power has different effects depending on what your strength is.

For what it is, not bad.
    A feat system, great... :wacko:

IMO they better should have asked us... <_<
    May Khirdai always bless your sword and his lightning struck your enemies!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Ariadne+Dec 10 2003, 08:41 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ariadne @ Dec 10 2003, 08:41 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--DanMcSorley@Dec 10 2003, 03:35 AM
    The bloodline system in there is a feat system, as I understand it you spend a feat for a minor bloodline, and can then buy powers as additional feats.* Extra feats can raise you to major, and then great bloodline, and each power has different effects depending on what your strength is.

For what it is, not bad.
    A feat system, great... :wacko:

IMO they better should have asked us... <_< [/b][/quote]
    I agree with the should have asked. I don&#39;t have a lot of faith in the Dragon publishing company&#39;s method of handling things. They tend to make things "official" as a power trip and not from any &#39;real&#39; basis.

They are also including some info on Dark Sun - well Athas.org has already published the "Official" 3.5 rules for that campaign setting.

Athas.org and Birthright.net were given "permisision" from Wizards a long time ago to publish "official" material for the Dark Sun and Birthright settings.

Piazo has had a tendancy to make things that are not OGL when they publish them. I am greatly afraid that this will turn into one of those issues.

I&#39;ve just finished putting together the 3.5 update of Chap 2 and posted it for development team discussion (basically to make sure that I didn&#39;t overly mess anything up) prior to posting for general discussion. I would really like to post it before issue 315 hits the street in order to avoid any potential &#39;legal&#39; mumbo-jumbo that may arrise.

The development team specifically sent Rich Baker a copy of the BRCS prior to posting it for general discussion asking for any input. Basically he said he didn&#39;t have the time, but if he ever found any he&#39;d look it over and that basically the setting was ours, the fans.

Personnaly I think just posting blood abilities and making them independent of blood score or not even talking about them together does the entire concept a disservice. Now Rich Baker had previously said that if he were to write the blood ability info for 3.0 he would use a feat-based approach - this may be where Piazo is coming from but I haven&#39;t a clue and won&#39;t know until I see what they&#39;ve put together. It really should be just another option that can be used, one of those stand-alone articles that can be dropped into a campaign setting if desired. That&#39;s why I hate the "Official" label on something that is not capturing the entirety of the setting or the the effect. Bloodlines have more to do with them than just having blood abilites.

Gary brought up the issue as to whether or not the BRCS will adopt it since it is supposed to be official - well that will depend on how it is handled. If it is not OGL, then we can&#39;t do a thing with it except reference the Magazine (and force everyone to buy it in order to use), if it is OGL then more options open up.

OK, I&#39;ve vented for now. Let&#39;s see what the article looks like and what kind of restrictions on its use are implemented before we set fire to Piazo. I&#39;m still progressing down the path that was chosen (by the fans a while ago via the polls on Blood Score).
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, this could be an option, but it is ill thought, in my opinion, putting aside all other matters: how many blood abilities, for example, would one have? Up to 8, maximum? <_<

Birthright Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, RaspK_FOG wrote:

> Well, this could be an option, but it is ill thought, in my opinion,

> putting aside all other matters: how many blood abilities, for example,

> would one have? Up to 8, maximum? <_<

If it`s all bought by feats, then as a human, you`d spend your 1st level

feat on a minor bloodline, then you could spend your 1st level human feat,

your 3,6,9,12,15, and 18th level feats on abilities, so seven.

Need to check the game store again for the magazine, but they probably

won`t have it until next week. Bah.

--

Daniel McSorley

Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, I&#39;ve got Dragon #315 right here, and I&#39;m NOT impressed.

It seems to me to be a half-assed attempt to bring Birthright into 3.5E. Here&#39;s why:

The system for bloodline abilities, as feats, is not really well explained. You buy a feat (Bloodline) to become blooded. OK, fine. You get a bloodline score of 1. You can increase your bloodline score by doing heroic events, such as slaying a dragon to save a village, but not just to slay it (which isn&#39;t heroic enough - clearly they never fought a Cerelian dragon). But the bloodline scores are barely mentioned in the write-up: if your bloodline goes to 11, then it becomes minor; 31 points for major; 51 points for great.

If you want to strengthen your bloodline the cheesy way, you buy a feat called Strengthen Bloodline, which gives you +10 bloodline points. Presto&#33;

So any 4th level fighter, with all his free feats, can be a great bloodline. Genius&#33;

If you want bloodline abilities, you have to buy them as feats. Well, your first bloodline ability is a free bonus feat when you buy Bloodline, but the rest of the powers are purchased feats. You can buy as many bloodlines as you want, provided you use feats for them. Not such a bad idea, really. Best one of the article.

Blood abilities are based on your bloodline strength. They only give Alter Appearance, Animal Affinity, Battlewise, Character Reading, Direction Sense, and Fear. Each one has a different effect based on bloodline level, minor through great (tainted lines get nothing).

And the final thing I wonder about is the reversion to killing blow through the heart to bloodtheft. It specifically says "This can only be done as a coup de grace action." A killer with a lower bloodline gets d6 bloodline points, a killer with higher gets 1 bloodline point. And regardless of strength, the killer picks up one of the victim&#39;s bloodline abilities for free, provided the ability can be used by the killer&#39;s derivation.

OK, sorry for the disjointed rant style. I thought I&#39;d let everyone know what the article says. If I&#39;m unclear, please ask for clarification.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Benjamin@Dec 11 2003, 11:25 AM
    OK, I&#39;ve got Dragon #315 right here, and I&#39;m NOT impressed.

OK, sorry for the disjointed rant style. I thought I&#39;d let everyone know what the article says. If I&#39;m unclear, please ask for clarification.
    Thanks for the synopsis. Is it OGL or not?
    Duane Eggert

Thread Information