Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello all, I have a couple of questions regarding domain design. The group I play with has always prefered to design their own domains. This made the domain design appendix in the 2nd Ed rulebook key. Has the appendix been updated for the new edition? Or should we simply use the old one? If it has where can I find it?

If we are using the old one, how does the Noble class figure into the Base costs for Holding and Province? We treated him like a warrior, and adjusted his Province cost.

More to follow...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Also, Domain Asset costs when creating a domain were significantly lower than build costs later. With this in mind, what would the cost of adding in a Seaport be during Domain creation. Shouldn't it be less than the 6 GB it would cost later?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, as I have been no part of the BRCS work, I can't say what they were thinking when they left this out. I imagine it was a "how important is this for 3E right now" issue, and they left it out on purpose. Perhaps the second edition will have something like this.

But to answer your question, I think you should take some examples of things that are listed from 2E to 3E and extrapolate your own chart. The fact that a seaport may cost less in the design phase than actually building one later may be taken into account that you get a lot fewer points to design a realm. If you are playing a realm, you get income each turn and can do things over time, thus they cost a lot to try to create balance.

I recommend figuring out how many points you envision giving your players, and make each thing they may want cost accordingly. If you only give them 20 points for a realm, maybe a seaport costs 2. If you give them 100, maybe it costs 10.

Just my humble suggestion.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't speak for Ian, et. al., but I feel that the Domain Design rules more properly belong with the Atlas project.
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion -- and usually easier."

- R. A. Heinlien, from The Collected works of Lazarus Long

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Athos69@Dec 11 2003, 06:53 PM
    I can't speak for Ian, et. al., but I feel that the Domain Design rules more properly belong with the Atlas project.
    I recall there being some version of the domain design rules in a preliminary version of the BRCS and can't think of why they were omitted from the posted playtest version. I think it had more to do with the 'rush job' of putting it together to get out for playtesting and it was just overlooked.

I don't think the domain design rules belong in the Atlas, because they are more generic and should apply to the entire setting. The Atlas is basically regionally oriented and is curretnly being planned on being issued in sections.

Whenever I manage to recover my computer files, I'll see if I can find an earlier version that had the domain design rules in it.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool, as for now I guess we'll wing it...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would realy like to see some guide lines on realm creation. As Im alowing my players to build there Domains from scratch.

I have opted to alow them to have free rain over there own imagenation. and produce where thay settle.

____
    still looking for players BR pbem "Newdawn"
    http:/land.vortex.is/forum/

Downloads
    Uploads
    The system I use for domain creation is based off of the d20 version of BL strength where it had a starting range comparable to other statistics.

Points (Bl attribute + BL mod)(BL Att + BL Bod)
    For examble a character with a bloodline st of 8 would have 7x7 or 49 points to work with and one with a strength of 10 would have 100 points wto work with.

Province Cost: 20 per level
    Holding Cost: 10 per level
    Gold Bars : 1 Each
    Regency: 1 Each
    Units: Muster Cost
    Buildings, Fortifications, palaces: Build Cost

So far this has worked for me and it provides a great range from lv 2 provinces to medium domains for strongly blooded characters.

If you use it please let me know how it works in your game.

I know that this is a pretty old thread but was an updated version of the Domain Design rules ever created?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackfrost View Post
    I know that this is a pretty old thread but was an updated version of the Domain Design rules ever created?

Sorry, no it wasn't.
    Duane Eggert

Thread Information