Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You are assuming your world where Elves don't get along with humans. In mine the humans have saved the Elves on at least one occasion and do tend to get along ok. Although not all elves and humans get along. So it would still limit the number.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, putting aside, the ratings of magical items I have a question regarding rarity in the Birthright world. Now I haven't actually read any of the fiction so I don't really have a basis to work off of, but just how common are magic items in Cyrilia? Do the regent's all have something special, or do all the magical items seem to be acquired on some quest?
    Arlen Blaede-Blademaster
    Regent of Myddjarna
    First Lord of the Giant Downs

Downloads
    Uploads
    According to the rules magic weapons are very rare. Magic potions and scrolls are more like uncommon.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Downloads
    Uploads
    Think of Magical weapons and items as something to go on a quest for, or a family heirloom. Not something to be bought or sold. Potions and scrolls on the other hand can be bought and sold, but at a heaftier price than whats in the books.
    Cattle die and kinsmen die,
    thyself too soon must die,
    but one thing never, I ween, will die, --
    fair fame of one who has earned.
    HAVAMAL

Downloads
    Uploads
    Excellent explanation. To go further, regents are more likely to possess heirlooms of great value thus they would be more likely to have a magic item. Just remember that a player with multiple magic items would be very very rare!
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Downloads
    Uploads
    How do you handle non-permanent items? Are there more of those?

I have a fair number of potions, scrolls and even a few wands IMC. Most are made by the PCs themselves, but once in a while they get to find some or even buy them if they have the right contacts.
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    i give out very few items. My two PCs are 5th level and they have three magical items, two of which they dont even know are magical, and one they do not fully understand. I play that unless I put a wizard in there who will identify an item, the PCs cant go looking for one without trouble. So my PCs can get legends from sages, assuming they bother to check or the item is legendary. The PC in my campaign with a magical sword had to use it for like three sessions before he figured out that it was +1 and gave him limited ability to comprehend spoken languages. my magical items always have some wierd, sneaky power and I always try to confuse my PCs as to exactly what thier items do.
    -Andy Olesen

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like Andy prefer to keep the true nature of magical items a secret. Though I have had only limited success with this. Many times the PCs drive me batty with the obsession over even the most minor of magical items. Since we rarely if ever have a spell caster in the party and wizards are as fine as frog's hair, it should be quite an ordeal... It rarely is though since magical items are generally gifts or recovered treasures of a known purpose.
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I did something in a campaign world I created and I think it would work well in BR as well.Part of being able to make a magical item means you have to have the knowledge.In other words you have to find the info.Basically what that means is in 3ED,Item Creation Feats cannot be taken unless the caster in question has found the requisite knowledge.

Another way for items to become maigical is through traumatic events.Say a Ryjuven warrior is fighting to protect his family from a group of marauding gnolls,due to the high emotions and intense energies being crated,his sword becomes a Gnoll'sBane weapon.(just an example)

These are a couple of things I have done in the past,with some modification,that maybe some of you will use.

PS:I do beleive someone suggested the Feats needing knowledge first.Not trying to take credit for your idea,just reiterating it.
    "Victory has a thousand fathers,defeat is an orphan."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Short time reader, first time poster.

I find the idea of limiting magic items interesting but it does raise some issues for higher level characters. Basically, without magic armor, your AC tops off fairly quickly while the abiliy to hit something goes up continually. For example, a fighter may get his beloved suit of full plate around 4th level and perhaps he has a shield. His AC could be 20 and he can have an attack rating of +10 meaning he can hit himself about half the time. His attack rating will continue to increase but his armor rating basically tops off. Some feats and stat gains can improve it slightly but not to the extent that his attack rating (and number of attacks) increases. This doesn't even take into account spell casters spells getting that much more deadly. Don't get me wrong, I do like the Birthright setting and the limiting of magic. However, it does make the GM be more careful about what he throws at the party. I realize combat isn't everything and pure role playing sessions can be the best, but everybody wants to go kill the 'big nasty' at some point.
    Afnae

Thread Information