Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree, potions seem far less harmful, Im keeping them as in the original rules, brewing a potion a day. Scrolls dont seem very harmful either, but I still think they should take longer to make.
    So be it!

Downloads
    Uploads
    They don't seem to throw the balance off either. Plus if too many scrolls are being pulled out you could always have the bad guys cut the scroll in half while it is being read or knock it out of the hands of the reader or some other thing to cause balance in the campaign.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Again I express my opinion that I'm so glad magic does not abound in the exorbanent levels it does in Forgotten Realms. It sickens me that every thug on the street needs to have a magical item or the PCs free ripped off.

A +1 finely crafted sword easily fetches 1,000 gp in my campaign!

I have changed the rules on finely crafted weapons to be up to a +2 to Hit or damage. Dwarven weapons are automatically a +1 simply due to quality. Elven weapons generally have a +1 to Hit and their Speeed Factor is reduced by 1 or 2.

Other then special weapons & armor, scrolls,wands, staves, rods, the occassional potion, and a few non-exotic items... most of the magical items in my campaign are non-existent. I prefer a focus on a more realistic type fantasy game (oxymoron...). I'm fine with heroism. But its the roleplaying and PC personality that should make the game not eh hack and slash dungeon crawling.

RPG = Role Playing Game
    not
    HIHMMITGAYDSAC = Hi! I have more magical items than God and you don't stand a chance.
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's an idea for keeping players from cranking out magic. Increase the level for creating magic items to +4 levels.

Examples:

Brew Potion Spell caster level 7+
    Forge Ring Spell caster level 16+

Let PC wizards take a metamagic feat instaed of scribe scroll

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe I am dense,but are you guys remembering that there is an xp cost to make magical items??You give up part of yourself to create them.I would think though that if your players make an item,they are not just going to crank 'em out.If it cost me physically to make an item I would most certainly wait to make one worthwhile.I mean what person would spend a couple hundred xp to make a +1 longsword???There are other ways to keep players from becoming "magic item factories".The parts needed are rare and only found in far away places.Making magical arms and armor requires a smith capable of making very high quality items,there wouldn't be but a handful of Master Weaponsmith's in a given region.But you do have to also remember that it is MUCH easier to pick up potions and scrolls than it is to find a +2 dagger,or Gauntlets of Ogre Power.But the finall arbitrator is the DM.
    "Victory has a thousand fathers,defeat is an orphan."

Downloads
    Uploads
    My thoughts are the cost to make magic weapons as described in the players handbook is too low for the Birthright campaign, also I feel in order to make magic items, its hsould be a long and grueling journey, I.E. it should be hard to acquire the knowledge to create them, then once that is learned it should be just as hard to acquire the components to create the item. so the costs of all this would be much more then stated in the PHB, and then the penalty of losing exp points should still apply but should be more severe according to the magic that is put into it.
    Lord Shaene Conlynd
    Regent - United Provinces of Haelyn

Downloads
    Uploads
    You people are forgetting that the prices in the books are for forgoten realms. WE that play in birthright aftera domain turn can purchase alot of items with a good guilder that i normally play. I also do make a good profit thinking i am still out to make money. But when gold bars are kinda thrown around for tribute or army's who says you cant buy a ring or something cheaply. They was we play is that is you want something from the magic list and you say enchantment or device with magical abilities cost you an arm and a leg. If you use the same prices in the DMG then any regent can get a good sword cheaply. If you want something bad enough dont forget the princess of the night She will give you things that you want for a big favor. BUt like i said above about magic itmes when we play you actually talk like you were back then and you are actually your characters. That is why you have to be so quiet on god calls and wish spells. Some DM's are to soft. Have fun an act out your character and think about how strong or week your character is without a magi item. You can always you spells to make them +1-3 for battles using cleric and mage music. Quit bitching about magic itmes and live without them and use more of your skills than relying on something that may work. God for bit you thinkit is a +2 and you piss of your good so he takes of the enchantment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There are other ways to keep the creation of new magic items a rare event. 'Only possible when the moon / planets / stars align in the right arrangement' or 'Item quality is of so great importance that it requires the caster hand pick the components (and used within a short time period or maybe even possilby from a far land). Make these the law of the land and you have a land with very few magic items.

Perhaps that is too restricting... Many things can happen during the process of attempting to create a magical item, and many factors could influence the level of sucess, hidden failures, and duration of effect - after all, it is supposed to be about fun.
    Lord Xerath Celestior
    United Provinces of Haelyn

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like all of the suggestions in the last couple posts to keep items rare. However, the post by Lawgiver bothers me a bit because the number of +1 and +2 weapons seem to go way up if every elven and dwarven sword gets those bonuses. Maybe I missed something.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Lord Eldred
    I like all of the suggestions in the last couple posts to keep items rare. However, the post by Lawgiver bothers me a bit because the number of +1 and +2 weapons seem to go way up if every elven and dwarven sword gets those bonuses. Maybe I missed something.
    I stated that magic weapons are rare, but that I allowed humans to create finely crafted weapons up to a +2, though these are rare as frog hair. Finding a +1 finely crafted weapon is hard, but a +2 is near impossible.

Not really the elves don't trade with humans, the only way to get elven weapons is by killing the elf. Another limiting factor is the smaller population of elves.

Dwarves trade with humans, but not much and they don't normally part with their armor and weapons. When they do they suck you for every gold piece. Charging 100 gp a weapon means it would cost 20,000 gp or 10 GB to outfit a single unit (+1 to Hit, +1 to Damage). The high cost for the marginal benefit is generally a hefty enough deterent.
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Thread Information