I've noticed that all the elven realms in Birthright are supposed to be chaotic good. Most of the realms descriptions say something along the lines that the regent doesn't take a firm hand in the realm, and the elves like it that way.

However, the first thing that almost always happens in a PBEM is that elven regents rule up their law holdings to max. Depending on which area a game is held in, this may or may not unbalance the realm. But it sure violates the feeling of chaotic good elves in my opinion.

So I would like to know if anyone has an idea for how to codify a situation to make elves not want to rule up law. I make a suggestion below. Any others?

Elven Variant to Adjusting Domain Attitude
Elves are known to be chaotic good, eschewing a regent's firm control of their lives. They don't mind a little control, but become quite angry when it becomes heavy handed. Those elves most likely to tolerate a regent's control are likely to be found in the capital province, flocking to the court and its trappings. This high level of respect in the court for their monarch provides the regent the ability to rule more firmly than elsewhere. Elves least tolerant to the regent's control will likely be found further away in the border provinces. Additionally, elves love their forests and do not like trade which harvests the natural bounty of their lands. The following chart takes these factors into account when adjusting domain attitude in elven realms.

Bonus
+5 Elven capital province

Penalty
-2 more than 25% of available law or guild holdings held in elven province
-4 more than 50% of available law or guild holdings held in elven province
-6 more than 75% of available law or guild holdings held in elven province