Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Downloads
    Uploads

Another book found

Ups, I almost forget:
    Tomes of Gideon by Gideon Rinsparr and others (Dragon 245. pg 72.) is the chronicle of the dwarves, written for 2000 years. For now it counts 24 volumes and can be found in Baruk-Azhik.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by huehar View Post
    It is funny - I have found this post during search of one book about awnsheghs I have forgotten (Theocrats of Mystical Forces) but found preatty good ideas, thank You! Maybe I can give some ideas for others, too.

For the next few lines I have to tell that we play the same game for years and we are already on epic levels, so do not wonder if some things seem too unbeliveable or not well-fitted for Birthright:
    As the high prefect of IHH I am now building Anuire's greatest library (at the end it will be a monument level 10) where I collect every piece of knowledge available. I have an organization for searching knowledge (houndreds of copyists, linguists, historians, etc.) and they travel across Cerilia for books, scrolls, maps. For example we harmonize the historic knowledge of the races (humans, elves, dwarfs, goblins, etc.) for one solid history that is - we hope - will be full and correct.
    The library's whole building is protected againts fire, inside there are continual light lamps, protected by permanent hallow spell (no one can enter with evil purpose) and the main librarian is a construct, Pater Subtiliter (seems like an old priest) who has the full knowledge of the library with persistent update. Three sections are: Publica (for everybody), Ecclesiastica (for priests only) and Licentia (indexed knowledge visited only with permission).
    Now the library gives pluses for research actions and knowledge skill checks but at the end (level 10 monument) it will give one free research action/turn.
    I really enjoy having this project in our game. :-)
    A great library of alexandria for cerilia, neat. But will you demand all ships visiting the imperial city are boarded and searched for books, and not permitted to leave until the books are copied? That's one way that the great library expanded!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    A great library of alexandria for cerilia, neat. But will you demand all ships visiting the imperial city are boarded and searched for books, and not permitted to leave until the books are copied? That's one way that the great library expanded!
    Perfect idea, thank You! I did not think on that way - we play on next Saturday so I will introduce it. :-)
    BTW, this library is in Ilien, not in the imperial City. There I have the Great College of Healing (another monument level 10 under construction).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Perfect idea, thank You! I did not think on that way - we play on next Saturday so I will introduce it. :-)
    BTW, this library is in Ilien, not in the imperial City. There I have the Great College of Healing (another monument level 10 under construction).
    Knowledge is power, and power elicits envy, fear, greed, etc - and great monuments are often seen as a sign of great ambition so good luck to your players.

Are your lot following the ancient great library tradition of being secretive about knowledge, or taking the alternative route of having, say, monthly presentations to the masses to encourage the citizens to see the library as theirs, as opposed to something belonging only to the elite? The former risks rivals gaining knowledge for free, the latter risks lack of popular support for the expenditure, opens scholars to being attacked or recruited away, etc.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    Knowledge is power, and power elicits envy, fear, greed, etc - and great monuments are often seen as a sign of great ambition so good luck to your players.

Are your lot following the ancient great library tradition of being secretive about knowledge, or taking the alternative route of having, say, monthly presentations to the masses to encourage the citizens to see the library as theirs, as opposed to something belonging only to the elite? The former risks rivals gaining knowledge for free, the latter risks lack of popular support for the expenditure, opens scholars to being attacked or recruited away, etc.
    Both. The library is built by donations and "belongs to the people of Anuire" (of course under strict IHH control). Everyone is allowed to enter into the library (there are limitary sections as I mentioned before but that is not wide-known). I started a public education program years ago so analphabetism is decreasing and I encourage general knowledge everywhere (we imported the press technique from Brechtür, we have calendars, songbooks, prayerbooks, etc.). My character is quite (too) optimistic to build a modern Anuire based on equality (races, religions, magic, etc.) and common interest (peace, commerce, diplomatic relations, common enemy: evil awnsheghs). After Anuire Cerilia comes. :-)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Both. The library is built by donations and "belongs to the people of Anuire" (of course under strict IHH control). Everyone is allowed to enter into the library (there are limitary sections as I mentioned before but that is not wide-known). I started a public education program years ago so analphabetism is decreasing and I encourage general knowledge everywhere (we imported the press technique from Brechtür, we have calendars, songbooks, prayerbooks, etc.). My character is quite (too) optimistic to build a modern Anuire based on equality (races, religions, magic, etc.) and common interest (peace, commerce, diplomatic relations, common enemy: evil awnsheghs). After Anuire Cerilia comes. :-)
    Wat Pho might be something to describe the holding
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wat_Pho
    Originally a temple, then a center of learning and regarded as the first university of Thailand.

However I doubht that the IHH could achieve what you describe - equality of religions in a world where the deitys are real and rivals? And equal races - I would see a Priest of Haelyn almost like someone who wants to uphold the godgiven order and discriminate even against human peasants, not to speak of anything non-human... And more likely to burn books like the spanish inquisition than to use the printing press from Brechtür to allow everyone access to knowledge without the direct guidance of a priest of Haelyn to properly interpret it...
    Michael Romes

Downloads
    Uploads

About racism...

I visited Wat Pho last year - it is amazing! :-)
    I know, my high priest character is very optimistic but she has the greatest power among Haelyn churches and works on those subjects (equality, religious freedom, againts wizard persecution, etc.) since years. Now the Haelyn churches have synod in every 5 yrs, ecomenic synod with other religions is on doorstep, half of Anuire respects wizards and magic-users, and there is already a racial integration and enviroment protection in 6 countries. In 54 provincies there is public education so everybody can read-write there and be educated according to my revolutionary principles. :-)
    The truth is that I worked out my leadership score (do not forget we are on epic levels) with every accessible feats and charisma so all of my priests (around 1000) are my followers and believe in my truth. Now I am working on uniting all the Haelyn churches so there will be no opposition. I know it is a kind of dictatory but for humans works only that - they would destroy the land and eachother without supremacy. I have difficulties of course and it goes very-very slowly but I have time for it and a few epic supporters.

Thread Information