Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I have read some of Ian's write ups on his new gods.Could there be other gods in Cerilia?

Why didn't they participate in the Battle of Deismaar?

Are they younger older than the old Cerilian gods?

Could the gods from other worlds (ie Forgotten Realms) set up in Cerilia? Maybe the Shadow World allows them to send a small sliver of thier power over?
    The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of God stands forever.
    (Isaiah 40:8)

Special Guest (Donor) morgramen's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm sure there are other Gods in the Pantheon. Keep in mind that the "official Birthirght" pantheon incvolves only those dieties mentioned based on the teachings/history/lore etc. of the Five Tribes who trekked north from Aduria.

There is still lots of Aduria left over, and what of the East? The west?

Personally, I wouldn't balloon the pantheon out to FR head count... that's way too many, and there is really no need for a God of Domestic Hygene or the like IMO. ;)

I would be more prone to altering or expanding the current 'spheres/domains/nfluence/portfolio of the current gods before adding in a wack of new ones.
    "You need people of intelligence on this mission... quest... thing."

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    From my work, the two human gods mentioned are older (a lot, lot older) than the gods that fought at Deismaar. They were once worshipped by giants and other creatures from ages past, and were the parents of Azrai, Brenna and the rest. They no longer involve themselves in the day to day lives of mortal beings, but still grant spells to worshippers.

The other two new gods are non-human gods (one was a dragon) who are worshipped by some of the new races to be intorduced in the Adurian expansion. Although some of their followers were involved at Deismaar, the gods themselves never fought. I have always thought that the battle at Deismaar was a final battle, one that the god opposing Azrai could not afford to lose, which is why they sacrificed everything to stop him. The non-human gods (including those worshipped by the Cerilian races) never had to make that choice.

On the matter of new gods (for example, FR gods) setting up on Aebyrnis and gaining worshippers, I don't see why not, if your tastes run that way. However, I imagine it would take centuries, as a new god would likely to be opposed by the current gods. I think the spelljammer setting had some rules about handing how priests gained spells when they left their god's sphere of influence (for example if a FR cleric travelled to Aebrynis) and what was needed to bring their god into the new sphere.

Oh, and Morg, I'll only be adding the two new human gods, which will bring the grant total to 13, considerably less that FR 57 human gods, plus numerous non-human gods. (shakes head in disbelief wondering why anyone would want so many gods,)
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    [shakes his head in disbeleif... why would anyone want more than one god... :P)
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Special Guest (Donor) morgramen's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Is FR only at 57?? Wowza. I though that would be at a higher count than that... something on the lines of the Dieties and Demigods Tome of old.

I recall reading somewhere (in 2E FR Hardcover Book I think) that there were numerous Beast cults in Faerun. I think those would work well in Birthright, though I am unsure that I would have priestly spellcasters for such a God.
    "You need people of intelligence on this mission... quest... thing."

OK so far we believe we should keep the human gods down to at least below 20. I totally agree. (I also agree only one is needed:) )

The demihuman gods are still in the question stage.

Also, would than other areas of the world have different names for the gods? And wouldn't that really throw the different areas of the globve into a disadvantage if they did not have people at Desmaar to get bloodlines?
    The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of God stands forever.
    (Isaiah 40:8)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Bryon
    The demihuman gods are still in the question stage.

Also, would than other areas of the world have different names for the gods? And wouldn't that really throw the different areas of the globve into a disadvantage if they did not have people at Desmaar to get bloodlines?
    I would vote for the elves shedding all gods. Having been deceived by Azrai their trust for such immortal beings is too great. Instead they rely on the 'great spirit of the forest'.

I've always preferred to leave dwarves as monotheistic with Moradin as their patron.

Goblins, orcs and the like may have various 'demigods', but other than Azrai most would be idols or false gods that shaman's promote to win power. The few 'gods' that do exist would not be true gods, but rather lesser demons or the like.

As far as the other races of the globe being at a disadvantage... not everyone has access to power. Without the disadvantaged there would be no advantage.

If you must press the point for equality perhaps the offlanders have access to a much stronger source of mebhaighl (since they may have smaller populations and less destruction to the land). Or perhaps, they have entered a wilderness region where survival is difficult and their environment has made them stronger (higher levels, better attributes, more hps. etc.) Or perhaps... well I could come up with several scenarios, but I shall leave that to your own campaign world.
    Lawgiver

Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For Lawgivers sake, in reality there is only one god. My father believes that in all actuallity the different religions of the world all are praying to the same god in different forms and in different ways.

Now for the game world...I think that whatever the DM feels should happen is what happens. If you want to have fifty gods go right ahead. If you want one, that is cool too. It is a fantasy world. Make it your fantasy and not one mandated to you.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Lord Eldred
    For Lawgivers sake, in reality there is only one god. My father believes that in all actuallity the different religions of the world all are praying to the same god in different forms and in different ways.
    I disagree with that, but I'm not going into theology.

Orginally posted by Lord Eldred
    Now for the game world...I think that whatever the DM feels should happen is what happens. If you want to have fifty gods go right ahead. If you want one, that is cool too. It is a fantasy world. Make it your fantasy and not one mandated to you.
    I couldn't have said it better myself. Its fully up to the DM and the collaboration of the players. Its your game, play it however you feel lead.
    Lawgiver

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Lawgiver

I've always preferred to leave dwarves as monotheistic with Moradin as their patron.
    I prefere to protray Birthright as a Henotheistic World. That is, everyone believes in many gods, but worship one (that is the feeling I get from the BoP anyway).

So the Dwarves could be monotheistic, but the humans are Henotheistic. Of course, their might be exceptions. A peasant may believe in Haelyn for all his might, but still pray to Avanlae or Aeric for good sun and a healthy crop. But generally, I like a Henotheistic interpetation.

Respectfully Yours,
    Elton Robb
    Regent of Medoere

Thread Information