Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Apple? Sorry--what do you mean?
    Apple : something that makse the edge, something good, something rewarding, something thet makse the class appealing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A little rewrite (far from complete yet):

BLOODHUNTER
    <insert blurb here>
    Hit Die: d8

Requirements
    To qualify to become a bloodhunter, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria.
    Alignment: Any lawful.
    Skills: Gather Information 7 ranks, Intimidate 7 ranks, Use Rope 8 ranks, Survival 5 ranks.
    Feats: Combat Expertise, Improved Disarm, Martial Weapon Proficiency (sap), Track.
    Special: Favored Enemy (any humanoid).

Class Skills
    The bloodhunter&#39;s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Craft (poisonmaking) (Int), Disguise (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (nobility & royalty) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Use Rope (Dex).
    Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the bloodhunter prestige class.
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A bloodhunter&#39;s weapon training focuses on weapons suitable for disabling opponents, rather than killing them. Bloodhunters are proficient with the blowgun, dart, flail (light and heavy), guisarme, halberd, ranseur, and sap. Bloodhunters are proficient with light armor.
    Bonus Feat: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (net).
    Detect Bloodline: At will, as detect magic.
    Bloodsense: An bloodhunter who merely passes within 5 feet of a blooded creature is entitled to a special check (based on class level and Wis modifier) to notice that the creature is blooded (DC goes up for weaker bloodlines).
    Bloodscent: The bloodhunter is treated as having the Scent quality with respect to blooded creatures only.
    Favored Enemy (scion): As the ranger class feature.
    Nonlethal Poison Use: Bloodhunters are trained in the use of nonlethal poison and never risk accidentally poisoning themselves when applying nonlethal poison to a blade. A nonlethal poison is any poison that cannot kill a character, does not deal hp damage or Con damage, and does not inflict any ability drain.

Base Attack Bonus: as ranger.
    Good Saves: Fortitude.

Notes: Gather Information and Intimidate are cross-class skills for rangers, but class skills for rogues. Since this prestige class requires 3 feats, a nonhuman could only take it after 6th-level, instead of 5th, as a human could.

Questions: at which class level should each class feature become available? Did I miss anything? Any suggestions on the exact game mechanics? Is d8 and 6 skill points alright or do the class features warrant some other combination?
    <span style='color:darkgray'>&quot;I like to be passionate and sincere, but I also like to have fun and act like a dork... Geeks unite.&quot;
    &#160;</span>&#160;<span style='color:brightgray'>&#160;&#160;—Kurt Cobain</span>

Downloads
    Uploads
    I could of course also add a small spell list with disabling and detection spells, for instance. Good or bad idea?
    <span style='color:darkgray'>&quot;I like to be passionate and sincere, but I also like to have fun and act like a dork... Geeks unite.&quot;
    &#160;</span>&#160;<span style='color:brightgray'>&#160;&#160;—Kurt Cobain</span>

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prerequisites:
    Skills: Gather Information 7 ranks, Intimidate 7 ranks, Use Rope 8 ranks, Survival 5 ranks.
    Why Intimidate as a requirement? Sure it could be useful, but must every Bloodhunter be capable of intimidating people? Too many prerequisites can make a class too generic...something to keep in mind.

Use Rope (8 ranks) and Gather Information (8 ranks instead of 7 if the others are dropped, I&#39;d say) are good requirements; I would drop the Survival and Intimidate skills, since Tracking can be done with Search as well as Survival.

How about Expertise, Improved Trip or Improved Disarm, Track, and Proficiency in one non-lethal weapon: sap, net, bolas, or chain?

I would drop Favored Enemy as a requirement, because it forces every Bloodhunter to be a ranger, which is very constrictive. Track, at least, can be taken as a feat without being a ranger. And I think Rogues would make excellent bloodhnters without being rangers, especially in urban areas.

Class Skills
    The bloodhunter&#39;s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Craft (poisonmaking) (Int), Disguise (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (nobility & royalty) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Use Rope (Dex).
    Why not add Bluff and Diplomacy as class skills, along with Knowledge: Local and Kn: Geography? Bluff and Diplomacy can be quite useful for the non-lethal fighter/bounty-hunter. Bluff as a means of feinting in combat, Diplomacy as a way to reason with the target and with one&#39;s employer for a better contract&#33; With 6+ skill points, these guys can afford to have a big list of class skills.

CLASS FEATURES

I think the ideas are good. Consider giving Blood Sense at 1st or 2nd level, since it is such a basic component of what the Bloodhunter is all about.

Allow the Bonus Exotic Weapon Prof. feat to be one from a choice of non-lethal weapons (see above), and you can then grant it 2-3 different times during the class progression.

I think the favored enemy (scions) is a great addition; I&#39;d grant it several times (maybe 1st, 5th, and 9th levels? or 2/6/10 works, too).

Another possible class feature might be Sneak Attack with non-lethal (subdual) attacks only, perhaps +1d6 every 3 levels or so.

Bonus Feat: Weapon Focus with a non-lethal weapon that the Bloodhunter is proficient with might be another possible class feature.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Notes: Gather Information and Intimidate are cross-class skills for rangers, but class skills for rogues. Since this prestige class requires 3 feats, a nonhuman could only take it after 6th-level, instead of 5th, as a human could.
    Non-humans who were multiclass fighters could gain those feats as bonus feats (Expertise and Imp. Disarm, anyways).

I would give them good saves in Ref and Fort, as rangers in 3.5.

Since they have the same hit die and base attack as rangers, use rangers as a comparison for balance. Do the class features balance out with someone who would otherwise be a straight ranger? Compare to what a character gives up in taking the prestige class compared to what they gain. This should help in developing balance in the class.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Osprey wrote:
    "Why Intimidate as a requirement? Sure it could be useful, but must every Bloodhunter be capable of intimidating people? Too many prerequisites can make a class too generic...something to keep in mind."

Bloodhunters need Intimidate to effectively interrogate commoners for the whereabouts of any scions.

"Use Rope (8 ranks) and Gather Information (8 ranks instead of 7 if the others are dropped, I&#39;d say) are good requirements; I would drop the Survival and Intimidate skills, since Tracking can be done with Search as well as Survival."

Hate to sound like a rules lawyer, but I&#39;m afraid I have to disagree: tracking cannot be done with Search. Let me quote the latest version of the d20 SRD for you: "[...] you can use the Search skill to find a footprint or similar sign of a creature’s passage using the DCs given above, but you can’t use Search to follow tracks, even if someone else has already found them."

"How about Expertise, Improved Trip or Improved Disarm, Track, and Proficiency in one non-lethal weapon: sap, net, bolas, or chain?"

Well, that isn&#39;t such a bad idea at all. :) Good suggestion. I&#39;ll leave out the chain though, since that is not quite nonlethal.

"I would drop Favored Enemy as a requirement, because it forces every Bloodhunter to be a ranger, which is very constrictive. Track, at least, can be taken as a feat without being a ranger. And I think Rogues would make excellent bloodhnters without being rangers, especially in urban areas."

You make the Favored Enemy requirement sound rather harsh, but it really only requires one level of ranger. That&#39;s all. Is that really so bad/restrictive?

"Why not add Bluff and Diplomacy as class skills, along with Knowledge: Local and Kn: Geography? Bluff and Diplomacy can be quite useful for the non-lethal fighter/bounty-hunter. Bluff as a means of feinting in combat, Diplomacy as a way to reason with the target and with one&#39;s employer for a better contract&#33; With 6+ skill points, these guys can afford to have a big list of class skills."

Well, I did add Bluff and Diplomacy, actually as part of my very first brainstorm, but then I removed them, &#39;cause I didn&#39;t want them to be too heavy on the Cha-based skills. That&#39;s just not how I envisioned them. Bloodhunters are not supposed to be suave, smooth-talking rogues. They&#39;re supposed to be a bit scary, actually. :) Ruthless trackers, relentless in the pursuit of their prey. Once they&#39;ve got a hold of you, you&#39;ll wish they&#39;d have used lethal weapons... ];}

"I think the ideas are good. Consider giving Blood Sense at 1st or 2nd level, since it is such a basic component of what the Bloodhunter is all about."

Yeah, I think that would work quite well.

"Allow the Bonus Exotic Weapon Prof. feat to be one from a choice of non-lethal weapons (see above), and you can then grant it 2-3 different times during the class progression."

Hey, I like your ideas. :)

"I think the favored enemy (scions) is a great addition; I&#39;d grant it several times (maybe 1st, 5th, and 9th levels? or 2/6/10 works, too). "

Yeah, I did intend for the bonus to increase.

"Another possible class feature might be Sneak Attack with non-lethal (subdual) attacks only, perhaps +1d6 every 3 levels or so."

Hey, great idea. I was already still looking for ways to increase their nonlethal damage potential. This is a good one. Thanks.

"Bonus Feat: Weapon Focus with a non-lethal weapon that the Bloodhunter is proficient with might be another possible class feature."

I suppose the best way to go is just make a list of feats that they can choose from each time they receive a bonus feat. Sorta like the fighter, but more limited.

Downloads
    Uploads

You make the Favored Enemy requirement sound rather harsh, but it really only requires one level of ranger. That&#39;s all. Is that really so bad/restrictive?
    YES

it realy is, you take out the good hig lv abilitys of all other clases, or at least you are telling people to be rangers. and its not good to restrict people so.

h34r:

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would only have 2 or 3 skills as a Pre...

Gather Information, SENSE MOTIVE and perhaps BLUFF

h34r:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Teloft wrote:
    "it realy is, you take out the good hig lv abilitys of all other clases, or at least you are telling people to be rangers. and its not good to restrict people so."
    Examples of DMG v3.5 Prestige Class restrictions:
    • Arcane Trickster: Ability to cast mage hand and at least one arcane spell of 3rd level or higher. Sneak attack +2d6.
    • Thaumaturgist: Able to cast lesser planar ally.
    Aren&#39;t these equally restrictive?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some adjustments:

BLOODHUNTER
    <insert blurb here>
    Hit Die: d8

Requirements
    To qualify to become a bloodhunter, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria.
    Alignment: Any lawful.
    Skills: Gather Information 8 ranks, Intimidate 5 ranks, Sense Motive 5 ranks, Survival 7 ranks.
    Feats: Combat Expertise, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (net), Improved Disarm OR Improved Trip, Track.

Class Skills
    Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the bloodhunter prestige class.
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A bloodhunter&#39;s weapon training focuses on weapons suitable for disabling opponents, rather than killing them. Bloodhunters are proficient with the blowgun, dart, flail (light and heavy), guisarme, halberd, ranseur, and sap. Bloodhunters are proficient with light armor.
    Bonus Feat: Choose from the following: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (bolas), Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Weapon Focus (bolas, net, or sap).
    Detect Bloodline: At will, as detect magic.
    Bloodsense: An bloodhunter who merely passes within 5 feet of a blooded creature is entitled to a special check (based on class level and Wis modifier) to notice that the creature is blooded (DC goes up for weaker bloodlines).
    Bloodscent: The bloodhunter is treated as having the Scent quality with respect to blooded creatures only.
    Favored Enemy (scion): As the ranger class feature.
    Nonlethal Poison Use: Bloodhunters are trained in the use of nonlethal poison and never risk accidentally poisoning themselves when applying nonlethal poison to a blade. A nonlethal poison is any poison that cannot kill a character, does not deal hp damage or Con damage, and does not inflict any ability drain.
    Nonlethal Sneak Attack: The bloodhunter has the ability to make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage without incurring the usual -4 penalty. Sneak attack damage from other sources stacks with this ability. The bloodhunter can never use this ability to inflict lethal damage.

• 1st level: Bloodsense, Nonlethal Sneak Attack +1d6
    • 2nd level: Favored Enemy (scion) +2
    • 3rd level: Bonus Feat, Nonlethal Sneak Attack +2d6
    • 4th level: Detect Bloodline
    • 5th level: Nonlethal Poison Use, Nonlethal Sneak Attack +2d6
    • 6th level: Favored Enemy (scion) +4, Bonus Feat
    • 7th level: Bloodscent

Base Attack Bonus: as ranger.
    Good Saves: Fortitude, Reflex.

I think these requirement would make the lowest possible entry character a 5th-level ranger/rogue, which is kind of what I want, but I&#39;m not sure. At least, I don&#39;t think there&#39;s any class that has both Gather Information and Survival. What do you people think, especially about the requirements? I dropped the whole idea of "they have to be scary". In locales other than Massenmarch, I can also see a concerned noble hiring a Bloodhunter to retrieve her/his kidnapped/lost/all too adventurous daughter/son/relative/someone.

Thread Information