Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Below are rules covering racial modifiers to domain actions that were cut from the original BRCS. As I use some of these in my pbem, I thought you all might find them useful.

Note: These are presented in the original form and haven't been edited to suit the final domain rules adapted in the BRCS.

Race
    A province may also be defined by population type – dwarves, elves, and humans all affect their environment in different ways, and have very different ways of taming or using the land. This has a certain effect on the way their provinces are made up, as noted below.

Anuirean, Brecht and Khinasi provinces are assumed to be the norm; the rules apply normally to them in all ways.

Rjurik and Vos lands are on the frontiers of Cerilia, and most inhabitants must learn to fight at an early age to defend themselves from attackers. Because of this, provinces in these lands can raise irregular units as levies instead of normal levy units. Their locality, however, ensures that their population and development levels remain low and any Rule actions attempted in those regions have +2 to their DC.

Elven provinces are unique in that the elven people do not affect source potential as their population and development level increases. The elven people live in harmony with their surrounding and their provinces can be developed up to level 6 in any forest terrain without affecting the source potential of a province. However, the elven birth rate is much lower than other races, and any Rule actions aimed at increasing the province level have +8 to their DC. Also, due to the elven people’s naturally chaotic nature, Law holdings have no special bonus with regards to loyalty in elven provinces.

Dwarven provinces are built entirely underground, with few settlements or dwellings visible above the ground. In fact, the first construction most visitors to a dwarven province encounter are a set of great gates embedded in the side of a mountain. As such, a dwarven province can be developed up to level 7 in any mountainous terrain. They are considered fortified up to the province level at no additional expense. Dwarves are also master craftsmen, especially when working with stone and when taking the build action, they roll 1d8 in place of 1d6 for progress. Because of these skills, other races like to hire out dwarven craftsmen to speed up the construction of their own projects.
    However, like the elves, dwarves have a low birth rate and suffer a +4 penalty to the DC of a Rule action aimed at increasing the province level.

Goblin provinces are violent and dangerous realms prone to frequent tribal conflicts. Most goblins learn to fight as soon as they can walk, and because of this the goblin people have a strong base of warriors to draw on for their armies. Goblin provinces can raise irregular units as levies in place of normal levy units. However, this chaotic nature also means that goblins are difficult to rule and control. Any Rule action aimed at increasing the level of a holding in a goblin province, with the exception of Source holdings, has a +2 to its DC.

Orog provinces are similar to those provinces under the control of their great enemies, the dwarves. Like the dwarven provinces, they are built underground and can be developed up to level 7 in any mountainous terrain. They are considered fortified up to the province level at no additional expense.

Gnolls control few provinces of their own, but those in their hands tend be even more dangerous that provinces in goblin kingdoms. Gnolls war constantly with each other, and with anyone else they can find. As a result of this, gnoll provinces can muster irregular, or marauder units in the place of normal levies. Gnolls are an even more chaotic race than the goblins and any Rule action aimed at increasing the level of any holding in a gnoll province, with the exception of Source holdings, has a penalty of +4 to its DC.

Awnshegh-held provinces are generally treated according to the dominant race of the province; however, in certain cases, special rules may apply, individual to each awnshegh.

Halfling-held provinces are treated the same as any human province in the same region.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow, I really like all of these rules, practically without exception! I think it's a shame they didn't make it into the BRCS, and would love to see them added into the revised edition.

There's only 2 questions: one is, when you refer to irregulars instead of levies, I assume you mean regular-level Irregulars (as opposed to Green units).

With Dwarves and Build: since the Build action in the BRCS was 1d4 GB per action, would dwarves by these rules be 1d6 or even 2d3 per action instead? Or simply 1d4+1 might work pretty well, too (as the Stonecunning racial trait is only a +2 skill modifier, after all...). Plus the BRCS rule that Master Engineers can maximize Build actions (a rule I like, all in all) also gives dwarves a good chance of REALLY fast construction if the die type is high...

But overall, excellent job...

Downloads
    Uploads
    what about Gnolls eating the fiona and the flora equally, so there population dont have to cultuvate the land in order to populate it.

So in efect thay could use source holdings in stead of provience holding for thet pop ???

h34r:

Downloads
    Uploads
    i have always liked the rules for underground provinces that i have seen on the net is why i like the dwarves so much they know how to build a good defensive structure while keeping it in the budget
    Check this out From Thanatos Arch-Necromancer of undeath

Downloads
    Uploads
    what about Gnolls eating the fiona and the flora equally, so there population dont have to cultuvate the land in order to populate it.

So in efect thay could use source holdings in stead of provience holding for thet pop ??
    Check out the rules on Tribal units in the War section of the BRCS. They are based on the province's source rating. The source rating equals the active maintenance in GB of tribal units that can live off the land. Raesene's rules would apply to those provinces more formally organized under non-human regents.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I dint remeber thet one. its a must have.

h34r:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow, I really like all of these rules, practically without exception! I think it's a shame they didn't make it into the BRCS, and would love to see them added into the revised edition.

There's only 2 questions: one is, when you refer to irregulars instead of levies, I assume you mean regular-level Irregulars (as opposed to Green units).
    Yes. The war rules weren't complete when chapter 5 was being worked on, and as this part of the rules didn't make it into the playtest document, they weren't checked against the rest of the BRCS.

With Dwarves and Build: since the Build action in the BRCS was 1d4 GB per action, would dwarves by these rules be 1d6 or even 2d3 per action instead? Or simply 1d4+1 might work pretty well, too (as the Stonecunning racial trait is only a +2 skill modifier, after all...). Plus the BRCS rule that Master Engineers can maximize Build actions (a rule I like, all in all) also gives dwarves a good chance of REALLY fast construction if the die type is high...
    It should be 1d6. Again, as I mentioned above these rules were never finialised. In the original draft of the domain rules, the build action was 1d6 per round (same as original rules), but this was lowered to 1d4 to better balance the action.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looking at the rules themselves, is everyone happy with the +8 to DC for elves trying to rule provinces?

With all the bonuses possible, I tried to make it difficult, but not impossible to rule a level 5 province to level 6. So if you are an elven regent with Master Administrator Feat (+2 to certain actions), 15+ skill ranks in administrate (+3 to roll) , Regent Focus (rule province), and maximum loyalty (+1). Then the action is still fairly possible.

So to rule a level 5 province to level 6, the DC is 10+5+8 = 23, and this is then modified to 13 if the regent has all the feats, skills, etc I mentioned, well within the realms of possibility, but still not overly easly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    With all the bonuses possible, I tried to make it difficult, but not impossible to rule a level 5 province to level 6. So if you are an elven regent with Master Administrator Feat (+2 to certain actions), 15+ skill ranks in administrate (+3 to roll) , Regent Focus (rule province), and maximum loyalty (+1). Then the action is still fairly possible.

So to rule a level 5 province to level 6, the DC is 10+5+8 = 23, and this is then modified to 13 if the regent has all the feats, skills, etc I mentioned, well within the realms of possibility, but still not overly easly.
    My only hangup is that I don't favor the idea of elven regents being Master Administrators and focused on Rule Province...the former especially is a very lawful kind of feat, one built on logistics, organization, and other very un-elven characteristics.

It also depends on the final form of those feats...will Master Administrator still directly add +2 to all Administrate-based domain actions? Will Regent Focus still grant a +4 or will it be lowered to +3? The latter especially seems more in-line with 3.5.

If any of the above things are taken into consideration, I think something like +6 to Rule Province might be more appropriate. Especially if we threw in a limitation of once per year or even less as to how often the Rule Province action might be attempted.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Elven should also granted the scout special training for free. Right now it is required for all their units and yet it provides substantial negatives besides the benefits.

Currently the combination of no temples, unlikely to have trade routes, and now possibly a +8 (or even +6) are significantly greater penalties than the benefit of being able to rule up provinces to level 6 without affecting the source potential.
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Thread Information