Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    On a post in the College of Sorcery one wise member argued that Priests should not be allowed to use Battle magic. I am not sure I agree. What do you think? Should Priests be able to use Battle Magic?
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I voted yes because Battle Magic is not a special type of magic really. It is just magic that has an effect on large number of people. Clerics have spells that have an effect on the masses thus they can wield battle magic. There is not a legitimate reason to say that Clerics couldn't use these spells on the battlefield.

People should remember this fact when they post battlefield specific spells that they should also be able to be cast off the battlefield.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Downloads
    Uploads
    I vote yes too. A version of Flame Strike come to mind... Though I have focused my clerics more on the defensive and healing aspect in mass battles. I would enjoy the development of more offensive battle spells for the men (and women) of the clothe. I may look into doing that...
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My interpretation of battle spells doesn't have special spells. They are just the spells that exist that have an effect on large numbers of people. I have no objection however of developing more spells that have an effect on lots of people.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Downloads
    Uploads
    In the campaign I run, I have limited the casting of battle magic for priests to either a regent or the lieutenant of one. This was put in place to prevent abuse. A priest regent could otherwise try to gather a lot of his clergy together and cast a host of spells on one battlefield. I justified this by saying that battle spells were empowered versions of the normal spells(which they are), and thus required the power of a regent to be employed. I did the same with mages, however. Having a bunch of magicians around to cast rain of magic missiles would just be silly.
    Andy C

Downloads
    Uploads
    The spell I created is basically a clerical version of Mass Destruction. I made it more expensive, 5GB per unit instead fo a flat 5GB, and raised the caster level to 6 instead of 3. I think it should be at least a little more difficult for preists to weild the same destructive power as wizards.
    Lawgiver

Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally, I rule that only blooded priests may cast battle magic, which tend to limit the number of casters a little. The reasoning is quite simple, to cast battle magic, which is far more powerful that normal magic, you need a closer connection to the source of that magic that normal.

For wizard, a bloodline bring them closer to the source of their magic, the Mebhaighl, while for priests a bloodline brings them closer the source of their magic, the prayers of their followers and their god. Also, as there are unlikely to be more than 3 or 4 blooded priests within a religion, limiting the casting of battle magic only to blooded priests stops a religions from fielding a hundred priests, all able to cast battle magic.

I don't agree with stopping priests from casting battle magic all together though, if they can cast realm magic then they can cast battle magic. However, I would assume (at least for the goodly gods) that most of their battle magic would tend towards wards and healing.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree I would only allow the use of battle spells blooded preists, but I'd throw in the unblooded if they were of a higher level (maybe something like 4 higher than required for blooded).
    Lawgiver

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am not sure why a unit of 1st level priests should be prevented from being able to cast cure light wounds and thus cure another army unit. Those that think this couldn't happen need to explain to me why not!
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Lord Eldred
    I am not sure why a unit of 1st level priests should be prevented from being able to cast cure light wounds and thus cure another army unit. Those that think this couldn't happen need to explain to me why not!
    There is nothing wrong with a unit of preists casting cure light wounds and healing another army unit. However you are saying several preists not one 1st level unblooded priest healing the entire unit.

Perhaps we should define battle magic. I tend to think of the larger powerful battle magic as realm spells (whether priest or wizard). Whether you are a priest or a wizard you get one realm spell (your Domain Action) and then are reduced to the standard spells of your character class.

I would suggest that regardless of being blooded or not preists would be limited to the standard spells given to preists. However, should the blooded preist be a regent, that would be different. The preist basically get one shot to dramatically influence the battle with the use of a realm spell. After that they must rely on standard spells given to their class. I might add that I wouldn't be against creating new spells to affect entire military units.
    Lawgiver

Thread Information