Are there any sites out there that have the various symbols for both the realms and deities?

Thanks,

Steve
    Crossfell

Downloads
    Uploads
    ----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 6:20 PM

> Are there any sites out there that have the various symbols for

> both the realms and deities?

I would be very interested in participating in a group to work out the

heraldry of Cerilia.

Kenneth Gauck

kgauck@mchsi.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Crossfell@Sep 25 2003, 12:20 AM
    Are there any sites out there that have the various symbols for both the realms and deities?

Thanks,

Steve
    Hmm -- are you just asking for the five little thinkgs (Anuire, Rjurik, Khinasi, Brecht, Vos) that you can see on one of the big maps from the original baxed set? Well, of course, *and* the covers from the "Player&#39;s Secrets of..." books? Okay, *and* the little symbols from the deities section of the BIRHRIGHT Rulebook? I can send you scans of them, if you send your e-mail address to --

warlord_nabron@yahoo.com

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You can download the symbols for the gods from http://users.chariot.net.au/~hoss/logo.zip

I don&#39;t have scan for any of the other symbols at this time, although I&#39;d be interested in getting a good scan of them as well if anyone has them.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by kgauck@Sep 25 2003, 01:22 AM
    ----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 6:20 PM

> Are there any sites out there that have the various symbols for

> both the realms and deities?

I would be very interested in participating in a group to work out the

heraldry of Cerilia.

Kenneth Gauck

kgauck@mchsi.com

The Atlas Team already works it out...
    May Khirdai always bless your sword and his lightning struck your enemies!

How is the Atlas Team pursuing the heraldry of Anuire? I&#39;m not an expert on either heraldry or Cerilia but this would be a very interesting topic.

From what I can see of the original twelve duchies only five are still ruled by the original Dukes: Avanil, Alamie, Boeruine, Diemed, and Mhoried. These coats of arms should be the most ancient arms within Cerilia and therefore the most simplistic if we judge by real world standards. Richard the Lionhearted only had a single lion to represent him and France began with a simple fleur-de-lis. The five original duchies should have the most simplistic coats of arms as they were some of the first.

Of course Avanil and Boeruine might have quartered their arms with that of that of the Roeles to show their right to rule the empire. Doubtless heralds in their pay approved the quartering.

One can only guess what these five original dukes chose to represent their houses. Since some arms (in real life at least) were based on puns on the family name it&#39;s possible that a boar decorates the Boeruine shield.

The above five families have ruled for over 1500 years. Subsequent rulers, doubtless, have somewhat more complicated shields.

Coeranys would be an interesting shield since the line of Cariele holds the Duchy today. Did they marry into the Coeranys family? Perhaps the current shield is quartered with the ancient arms of both Coeranys and Cariele?

Elinie might have a most unique coat of arms as the ruling family is of Khinasi descent.

One can only imagine how the Tuor shield might have been quartered with the arms of Alamie to represent their right to the land. Or perhaps not if the Tuor&#39;s totally reject their Alam heritage.

Has Ghoere incorporated the arms of either Ghieste or Dhalaene, or both, into it&#39;s coat of arms?

Most of the remaining realms are ruled by families that have been in power for less than 200 years. Some of these shields could be quite painful to look at or decipher. The PS of Roesone has a shield that apparently attempts to claim connections with all the noble families of that land.

Of course many of the &#39;newer&#39; nobility might find distant relatives that might give them the right to quarter their arms with those of the ancient dukes.

Another consideration that must be made is how Ceriliean heraldry differs from Europeon heraldry. The heraldry I&#39;m familiar with tends to be static, no movement involved. But if you look at the shield of the PS of Talinie the rose wrapping around the tree, along with the banner, is anything but static. Ilien&#39;s shield is somewhat unusual as well.

Recreating Cerilean heraldry is surely a great task. If the team needs help I&#39;d be more than willing to lend a hand.

Cheers,

Steve
    Crossfell

Downloads
    Uploads

<snip>

> Recreating Cerilean heraldry is surely a great task. If the team

needs >help I`d be more than willing to lend a hand.

I don`t know how much help it may be, but the PC game Gorgons Alliance

had basic devices (possibly just the colours from memory) for each of

the current realms (551)

HTH.

Doyle
    Doyle

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am a Herald in the SCA, and am pretty conversant with the SCA rules for heraldry and the actual period practices.

I could work on some Arms for the Ducal families, but I would need a few starting points, as well as any existing Arms that I could get a &#39;pattern for&#39;.

You would probably find that the Vos and Khinasi don&#39;t really use heraldry in the same sense as Anuire does -- and Rjurik will be very simplistic (early germanic). Brect would have a dfferent flavour, but would use badges more often than full achievements.
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion -- and usually easier."

- R. A. Heinlien, from The Collected works of Lazarus Long

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Atlas team never did a lot on the heraldry of Anuirean realms (or those of lands beyond), so that is something that could be developed by interested parties.

It is not something I had planned to include in the Atlas, but if something were submitted (say a few images of coats of arms) then we would love to see them and will include them with the descriptions of the realm in question.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Thread Information