Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I posted 2 examples of variant wondrous structures under Specialty Holdings, which I'll repost here for the sake of coherence. I would love to submit these for netbooks or archives as variants to the basic Wondrous Structures in the BRCS. I'll make each a seperate post.

All Wondrous Structures cost 25 GB per level to build, and cost 2 GB per season in maintenance. Furthermore, there are prerequisites listed with each variant based on its function.

-Osprey

Downloads
    Uploads
    The World Trade Exchange

Prerequisites: -Guild(7) or higher in the province where the Exchange is built.
    -The builder must control at least one trade route to a foreign realm from the province where the exchange is built.

Description: The World Trade Exchange represents a grandiose expansion of the local marketplace and trade. It welcomes goods from all lands, and facilitates banking and currency exchange as well as encouraging the buying and selling of foreign goods from all parts of Cerilia. Individual buyers as well as wholesale merchants can find domestic and exotic goods of all shapes and sizes here, and goods are bought and sold in retail and wholesale amounts. The controller of the Exchange recieves a small fee from each of these transactions, in addition to a basic seller's fee from any merchants displaying their goods here. The controller also earns a small fee from moneychanging between foreign currencies and interest for holding merchant accounts in security.

Benefits: The Exchange serves to greatly expand the mercantile interests of the builder's guild holding in the province in which it is built.

-The Exchange stacks its level with the builder's Guild holding level for all mercantile purposes. This affects the base guild income as well as income from any of the builder's trade routes that originate in the province. It also stacks for purposes of Contesting Guilds or defending against such actions.

-The Exchange also expands the maximum number of trade routes that may originate from the province, based on the combined level of Guild and Exchange levels as detailed below:

Guild Level (Max. Trade Routes)
    1-3 (1)
    4-6 (2)
    7-9 (3)
    10-12 (4)
    13-15 (5)
    16-19 (6)
    20 (7)

This is based on my own rule adjustment that a level 10 guild may support 4 trade routes. If you go "by the book", simply make 4 routes possible at levels 11-13, 5 at 14-16, 6 at 17-19, and 7 at 20.

Example: El-Hadid invests in building the Ilien World Exchange. He has a level 7 guild in Ilien, and a trade route to Arya in Khinasi, so he meets the prerequisites. Over time, he lays out 100 GB to make it a Level 4 Exchange. The Exchange has a base maintenance cost of 8 GB per season.

El-Hadid has 3 trade routes from Ilien, each earning 3.5 GB from the Ilien end of the routes (10.5 GB total). The guild(7) earns (2/3 x level) 4-2/3 GB by itself, for a total base income of 15-1/6 GB (rounded to 15).

With the Exchange(4), the guild is now treated as if it were level 11. This earns a base income of (11 x 2/3) 7-1/3 GB, and the trade routes now generate 16.5 GB (5.5 x 3) from the Ilien end, for a total income of 24 GB (23-5/6 rounded off).

After maintenance, El-Hadid earns 16 GB (24 - 8), for a net gain of 1 GB.

However, he may now build a 4th trade route from Ilien, which would earn him another 5.5 GB from the Ilien end (and increase his income to 29-1/3 GB, or 6 GB net gain).

Moreover, El-hadid is virtually guaranteed to maintain his Ilien monopoly, as any foreign guilds would face a guild(11) if a trade war began!

Final Note: The effective level of these wondrous structures may never exceed the appropriate holding level they modify, and no wondrous structure may ever exceed level 10 in any case.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Military Academy

The Military Academy (or War College, if you prefer) represents a facility dedicated to the advance of military science and the training of troops using these techniques. It pushes the boundaries of known military techniques, tactics, strategies, and unit types. The Military Academy is both a great structure comprised of dormitories, classrooms, and training facilities, and a collection of some of the greatest military minds and instructors in Cerilia. Here these men and women can pool their collective experiences and ideas in one place, and apply them directly to the training of advanced unit types.

Prerequisite: Law(7) or higher in the province where the Academy is built.

Benefits:
    1. The Military Academy adds its level to the existing law holding for purposes of mustering and training troops. Thus, a Law(8) + Academy(4) would allow up to 12 GB worth of units to be mustered each month, or allow individual units to be trained to higher levels (up to 12 GB muster value) without significant penalties to the Lead check.

2. The officers attracted to and produced by the Military Academy improve the regent's ability to command troops on the field. The level of the Academy acts as a special bonus to the controller's Warcraft skill (stacking with all other bonuses).

3. Similarly, the academy adds its level as a bonus to any Diplomacy checks made when attempting to find and recruit a military Lieutenant.
    Optional: The level of the academy is added to the normal maximum level for these lieutenants based on the regent's Leadership score and character level.

4. For every 2 full levels of the Military Academy, the controller may add one additional special training option to any troops trained or mustered there. Thus, veteran troops trained at a level 4 Academy could have up to 4 special training options (+2 more than normal). The extra training options may be redundant (thus, a unit might have +Melee, +Melee from intensive offensive training, adding +4 to the unit's Melee attack rating). The normal costs for mustering, training, and maintaining such units applies as usual.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a question about #4 on the Military Acadamy. Would you need to pick the special options when making the holding and use that one all the time, or can it be different for each unit?

If the school is known for Increase Melee, it might be a school of infantry or cavalry. While one with marine training would be the naval acadamy.

The high prereq. and cost of the specialty holding would probably be better for the variable training option.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Naval Academy

Similar to the Military Academy, the Naval Academy gathers the best and brightest of Cerilian shipbuilders and naval officers. It is typically built next to a city's shipyards and harbor, and includes facilities for living (faculty and students), teaching, training, and experimental design.

Prerequisites:
    -Shipyards(7) or higher in the province where it is built.
    -Law(4) or higher

Benefits:

1. For every 2 full levels of the Naval Academy, Marines may be mustered or trained with one additional special training option.

2. Naval Technology: Each completed level of the Naval Academy grants one advance in existing naval technology, chosen from the list below. Note that certain advances aren't possible until higher levels. Ship improvements are normally built, but certain upgrades can be added to existing ships with a refit at the shipyards. However, refitting incurs an additional cost of 1 GB per upgrade. This extra costs is not added to the ship's maintenance costs. Unlike troops, there is no limit (other than cost) to the number of advances that may be applied to a ship, but only one option of a given type may be added to a ship.

Naval Technology Advances:
    1. Advanced Naval Training: Ship crews can now be trained to higher levels of discipline and skill. Ships may be built or upgraded to Veteran status, adding +2 GB to the build cost and granting the following benefits: +2 Attack, +1 Move, +1 Sail, and +2 Morale.

2. Improved Shipyards: Advances in shipbuilding technique and facilities allow bigger and better ships to be built. The level of the Naval Academy now stacks with the existing level of shipyards in the province when determining the maximum cost of ships built or refitted there (limit = 2 x total level in GB).

3. Solid Construction: Ships may gain the equivalent of Toughness, adding 1 hit and +2 morale to their base stats. This option may only be used when building new ships (no refits). Adds +1 GB to the build cost.

4. Naval Artillery: Advancements in targeting instruments and standardized, high quality construction of naval artillery (ballistas and catapults) allows shipborne weapons to find their range and deviation with greater consistency. This special training option adds +2 Missile to any ship outfitted with the upgraded weapons and artillery crews, and adds +1 GB to the ship's cost. Available as a refit.

5. Close Action Improvements: Ships can now be designed or refitted with designs built to improve their effectiveness at close range and in boarding actions. These include machiolated fore- and sterncastles (projecting battlements with murder holes) for firing down on a lower ship while protected, projecting turrets along the gunwales to provide flanking fire when alongside an enemy ship, and specialized boarding tools (and training) such as ballista grapples, hooked nets, spiked gangplanks, etc. Adds +2 Melee to a ship, and is available as a refit. Costs +1 GB new.

6. Defensive Improvements: Advances in defensive tactics, evasive maneuverability, and improved hull designs (strategic reinforcement and shaping) allow for ships that are harder to damage. Adds +2 Defense, and +1 GB build cost.

7. Fast Ships: Advances in ship design and sail configurations allow for sleeker, more maneuverable ships. Sleek, streamlined hulls, improved rudders, and specialized sails allow for improved tactical and strategic speed. Adds +2 Sail and Move, and costs +2 GB. Not available as a refit.

8. Advanced Seamanship: This covers general advancements in naval tactics, navigational techniques and instruments, and cartography. The regent and his lieutenants may add the level of the Naval Academy as a special bonus to all Profession: Sailor, Intuit Direction, and Knowledge: Geography checks made at sea. Additionally, any naval officer trained at the academy recieves a +2 synergy bonus on these skills.

9. Armored Hulls: With advanced naval technology, advances in armor plating on ships may be applied. Ships gain strong defensive abilities at the cost of speed and seaworthiness. Armored hulls may be built or added as refits, and cost +4 GB. They grant +4 Defense, +1 Hits, +2 Morale, -2 Move (minimum 0.5), -4 Sail speed, and -2 Cargo (due to the extra weight). Armored hulls may only be built on Heavy Ships (galleons, drakkars, knarrs, etc.).
    -Armored hulls require a Level 4+ Naval Academy, and Improved Shipyards technology.

10. Grand Warship: A Level 6+ Naval Academy with Improved Shipyards allows the design and construction of specialized Very Heavy Warships. The exact designs and stats vary depending on the cultural basis of the academy. The stats below are for an Anuirean Man-o-War. Other cultures would build different ships, but the stats would be similar. Very heavy ships are built for one purpose: war. They are huge, slow ships that carry large numbers of troops and shipboard weapons, and enough cargo space for supplies.

Anuirean Man-o-War
    Class: Very Heavy
    Sail: 6
    Cargo: 5
    Bunks: 5
    Melee: +10
    Missile: +6
    Defense: 16
    Hits: 5
    Move: 2
    Morale: +4
    Cost: 20 GB

And there's the sum of my ideas on this one! Comments and contributions are welcome!

-Osprey

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a question about #4 on the Military Acadamy. Would you need to pick the special options when making the holding and use that one all the time, or can it be different for each unit?

If the school is known for Increase Melee, it might be a school of infantry or cavalry. While one with marine training would be the naval acadamy.

The high prereq. and cost of the specialty holding would probably be better for the variable training option.
    Originally it was meant to be variable for the reasons you mentioned (prerequ. + cost), but allowing advances in military technology similar to the naval academy (see above) might be an alternative. However, I lean away from it with the Military Academy only because special training options don't normally have prerequisites for land troops, and law holdings aren't limited in the types of troops they may train.

I like the idea of military academy but question the requisite level. Limiting this to a level seven law means that only Avanil (province of Anuire) and Ilien can manage one of these beauties.

If you reduced the level to a Law 6 - it would allow both Boeruine and Ghoere to build similar academies. Personally, I think that Mhoried should be able to qualify also but that is about it (Maybe Diemed?).

The idea of specialty holdings is one that appeals to me but I would rather see it pre-implemented rather than making it a "Warcraft" race for building. Right now my game is an escalation arms and law race, I try not to encourage that.

Randy~Eosin

>

> This post was generated by the Birthright.net message forum.

> You can view the entire thread at:

> http://www.birthright.net/forums/ind...=ST&f=2&t=1987

>

> Osprey wrote:

> Military Academy

>

> The Military Academy (or War College, if you prefer) represents a facility dedicated to the advance of military science and the training of troops using these techniques. It pushes the boundaries of known military techniques, tactics, strategies, and unit types. The Military Academy is both a great structure comprised of dormitories, classrooms, and training facilities, and a collection of some of the greatest military minds and instructors in Cerilia. Here these men and women can pool their collective experiences and ideas in one place, and apply them directly to the training of advanced unit types.

>

> Prerequisite: Law(7) or higher in the province where the Academy is built.

>

> Benefits:

> 1. The Military Academy adds its level to the existing law holding for purposes of mustering and training troops. Thus, a Law(8) + Academy(4) would allow up to 12 GB worth of units to be mustered each month, or allow individual units to be trained to higher levels (up to 12 GB muster value) without significant penalties to the Lead check.

>

> 2. The officers attracted to and produced by the Military Academy improve the regent`s ability to command troops on the field. The level of the Academy acts as a special bonus to the controller`s Warcraft skill (stacking with all other bonuses).

>

> 3. Similarly, the academy adds its level as a bonus to any Diplomacy checks made when attempting to find and recruit a military Lieutenant.

> Optional: The level of the academy is added to the normal maximum level for these lieutenants based on the regent`s Leadership score and character level.

>

> 4. For every 2 full levels of the Military Academy, the controller may add one additional special training option to any troops trained or mustered there. Thus, veteran troops trained at a level 4 Academy could have up to 4 special training options (+2 more than normal). The extra training options may be redundant (thus, a unit might have +Melee, +Melee from intensive offensive training, adding +4 to the unit`s Melee attack rating). The normal costs for mustering, training, and maintaining such units applies as usual.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>
    Hello, I guess I gotta have a sig.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the idea of military academy but question the requisite level. Limiting this to a level seven law means that only Avanil (province of Anuire) and Ilien can manage one of these beauties.

If you reduced the level to a Law 6 - it would allow both Boeruine and Ghoere to build similar academies. Personally, I think that Mhoried should be able to qualify also but that is about it (Maybe Diemed?).

The idea of specialty holdings is one that appeals to me but I would rather see it pre-implemented rather than making it a "Warcraft" race for building. Right now my game is an escalation arms and law race, I try not to encourage that.

Randy~Eosin
    Doesn't anybody ever rule their provinces in yor game? With the BRCS Regent Focus (Rule Province: +4) and Master Administrator (+2) feats, plus Administrate synergy bonuses, ruling provinces is lot more obtainable even if you can't spend RP to improve your odds.

I think any of these structures should be extremely rare, in all honesty. That's why they're so expensive and have high prerequisites. If everybody who's someody has one, they're not so "wondrous" any more.

I prefer a game in which anyone who builds a wondrous structure comes up with something unique. It makes them distinctive, and special advantages possessed by no one else. Kind of like wonders of the world in Civilization (1st come, 1st serve).

The military academy, for example, represents a gathering of the greatest military minds from all over the world - Anuire, at least, if not further abroad. Just how many such places could exist at the same time? I'd recommend a general limit of 1 per cultural region.

As for the level 7 law requirement, the reasoning is similar: such a thing isn't really possible until a regent is approaching the limits of known military technology. By the BRCS rules, for instance, the most expensive unit that can be mustered is Elite Heavy Cavalry at 8 GB (ex: Veteran Knights w/ 2 special training options). So a level 8 Law Holding is actually a truer representation of the limits of military training.

I guess I like level 7 because it seems to stand as a kind of beginning of truly advanced society. I guess it's really intuitive as much as anything. Ilien and Avanil start at level 7, but level 7 shouldn't be out of reach for other regents (including PC's) as the game progresses beyond its starting point.

Personally, I think these structures are too potent to have existing at the start of a campaign. I'd rather see regents (PC or NPC) wotrk their way up to the prerequisites and burn the GB's if they want them that badly. It's not like Avanil and Boeruine don't have enough advantages to start anyways.

But that's all my personal preference. If you want a different version, feel free to tweak them as you see fit and find out how they work in your campaign. Knowing even one person uses an idea I post makes it worth putting up here.

-Osprey

> Doesn`t anybody ever rule their provinces in yor game? With the BRCS Regent Focus (Rule Province: +4) and Master Administrator (+2) feats, plus Administrate synergy bonuses, ruling provinces is lot more obtainable even if you can`t spend RP to improve your odds.

Sure they do, but ruling a 6 to a level 7 could take years if the dice are bad and tons of GB. Less than a 20% chance of success and 7 GB per pop is not that attractive in a PbeM. At least one player has the feats mentioned (has a +7 to the roll IIRC) that still only gives even odds. More people are likely to rule 3`s to 4`s rather than try to create a metropolis. They get the advantages while minimising the risk of failure.

> I think any of these structures should be extremely rare, in all honesty. That`s why they`re so expensive and have high prerequisites. If everybody who`s someody has one, they`re not so "wondrous" any more.

Allowing 4 players out of 40 to simply qualify hardly seems to be handing a military academy away.

> I prefer a game in which anyone who builds a wondrous structure comes up with something unique. It makes them distinctive, and special advantages possessed by no one else. Kind of like wonders of the world in Civilization (1st come, 1st serve).

We sorta come at this from opposite perspectives (which is fine). I have to consider fairness to all in a massive game, while in my home game I might be more inclined to share your POV.

>>Knowing even one person uses an idea I post makes it worth putting up here.

I really like these type of expansions. They add a distinct flavor to the realms and provide a sink for some of that cash. Keep up the good work.

Randy
    Hello, I guess I gotta have a sig.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Osprey@Oct 3 2003, 01:22 AM

Doesn't anybody ever rule their provinces in yor game? With the BRCS Regent Focus (Rule Province: +4) and Master Administrator (+2) feats, plus Administrate synergy bonuses, ruling provinces is lot more obtainable even if you can't spend RP to improve your odds.
    -Osprey
    Ruling a province up to a 7, in most cases would result in lowering the source value and probably tee off the local wizard regent. Now if that is not a concern, but generally it is a major issue since wizard regents are very helpfull to have as allies.
    Duane Eggert

Thread Information