Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adurian Faq

Downloads
    Uploads
    There were arquebus that -weren`t- matchlocks?
    I know there were wheellock semi-rifled hunting pieces and firelock carbines
    for garrison troops but I never through that they were described by the folk of
    the time as arquebus.
    I don't know, honestly, though I know wheellock muskets were used for warfare in the early 1600's, toward the end of the breastplate and helm era. The term arquebus has always been a broadly applied term in my own readings.

The colonists at Jamestown, VA ended up trimming down and eventually ditching their breastplate-and-helm armor. Experience quickly taught them how useless it was.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Simple, Martial, or Exotic Proficiency for Firearms:

I think in large part this dependes on the ra and commonality of gunpowder and firearms in he world. How commonly available is it? How much demand is there for trained gunners?

Inthe early era of firearms, roughly equivalent to the middle/late medieval period in Europe, firearms were definitely an exotic, dangerous, and uncertain weapon. In this kind of setting, I think firearms would qualify as an Exotic Weapon Proficiency.

As the technology improved, and entire units of arquebusiers and musketeers come to be a more common sight on the battlefield (late medieval - Renaissance era), then a sufficient degree of military training would allow firearms to be considered a Martial Weapon Proficiency. Still not the sort of thing a typical person could easily pick up and learn, but well within the norm for regular military training.

I think it is only in the later eras, perhaps the 18th century and beyond (in Europe), that firearms became the dominant weapon for hunting (for the common man, not just the nobility) as well as warfare. Here is the point where we might call firearms proficiency a Simple Weapon Proficiency.

So there's my sliding-scale answer to your question, Geeman. I think it's quite relative to the setting as to what type of proficiency it is.

-Osprey

Downloads
    Uploads
    Osprey:

> The colonists at Jamestown, VA ended up trimming down and eventually

> ditching their breastplate-and-helm armor. Experience quickly taught

> them how useless it was.

I was mainly think of cavalry harness. There are stories about veteran pikemen

ditching their heavy harness too (and shortening their pikes when on long

marches).

--

John Machin

(trithemius@paradise.net.nz)

-----------------------------------------------------

"Nothing is more beautiful than to know the All."

- Athanasius Kircher, `The Great Art of Knowledge`.
    John 'Trithemius' Machin
    The Other John From Dunedin (now in Canberra)
    "Power performs the Miracle." - Johannes Trithemius

Downloads
    Uploads
    The French in Napoleon`s army threw away food during the hot, long march

into Russia. I am not sure that throwing away gear is good evidence that

such gear is useless. Just that soldiers can be disinclined to carry what

is heavy.

Kenneth Gauck

kgauck@mchsi.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Kenneth Gauck:

> The French in Napoleon`s army threw away food during the hot, long

> march into Russia. I am not sure that throwing away gear is good evidence

> that such gear is useless. Just that soldiers can be disinclined to carry

> what is heavy.

Good point, although it is mentioned that there were notorious pikeman`s

armours that only deflected the points of enemy pikes into the soft parts.

Infantry armour was also generally of lesser quality than that of cavalry. One

presumes this means that it was of less use in deflecting shot.

--

John Machin

(trithemius@paradise.net.nz)

"Nothing is more beautiful than to know the All."

- Athanasius Kircher, `The Great Art of Knowledge`.
    John 'Trithemius' Machin
    The Other John From Dunedin (now in Canberra)
    "Power performs the Miracle." - Johannes Trithemius

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just to add my 2p's worth.

i think that all firearms should be Martial weapons for the standard statistics

Flintlock Pistol: 1d8 Damage (18-20/x3), 10' Range increment, ROF 1/3
    Flintlock Musket: 2d8 Damage (18-20/x3), 30' Range Increment, ROF 1/4

but if a user wants to improve his RoF he needs to take it as an exotic Weapon which would change it to 1/2 or 1/3.

There are pro's and cons to every system, i like the idea they create a lot of smoke which will help in the chaos of a fight, and i like the idea that firearms are rare.

I'm in year 9 of my campaign and my main regent is showing interest in Aduria, but needs to sort out the Iron Throne first

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, since we ressurrected a 2 year old thread, I might as well post on it as well! The talk of Gunpowder comes up a lot. also, whether weapons should be considered Martial or Exotic. From what I've seen different campaign settings handle it differently. What it seems to hinge on are how common the weapons are, and how easily someone with x amount of combat knowledge would know how to use them properly. So while they are a rarity and a novelty, they would be Exotic, then as firearms and society progress, when they become common enough that in society standard soldiers/levys/militia have a reasonable chance to be outfitted with them, then those weapons would be considered Martial weapons. (Note, that older versions of the weapons not in common use, if operated differently would probably still be exotic). And eventually when firearms become so common that even non-combatants are familiar with their use for such common activities as hunting, self protection, etc. then they would probably become simple weapons. Unless playing a specific campaign that spells out the familiarity, there should probably be some DM call on how common they are. It is kind of the same idea that in the PHB certain weapons are exotic that in the Oriental Adventures campaign are martial. In a campaign with a lot of domain level play, time could pass very quickly. I always have seen cerillia as on the cusp of gunpowder, where in 551 MR the chivalric Anuirean Knight reigns supreme, but in 571? 591? 651? Who knows? how will the players adapt should the campaign go on that long?

Oh, and some people have mentioned in various places on the board that they feel there is conflict between Science and Magic, and these two cannot exist in the same place at the same time very well. I personally don't have a problem with that in a fantasy world but for people who do, one of the ravenloft books, and I forget which one, I think it was the Gazeteer that has Lamordia in it, has an optional rule for the conflict. It basically says that as a particular location gains faith in science and thus looses faith in the supernatural as it feels science can explain those things and there is nothing above the natural, then magic gains a percentage of failure. This idea I guess can play nicely in a campaign where already magic is more effective in the wilds and it pits wizard regents against the encroaching civilization. If I find the table I'll post it here. I don't have my books with me at work.
    Regards,
    Ausrick

Downloads
    Uploads
    In my campaign my regent controls, Medoere, has Albeile isle & Mieres under her direct control, is pally with roesone has defense treaty with an OIT controlled Ilien (don't ask!!) and is now pondering how to stop Diemed seizing the Iron throne before the next sword and crown in 3rd quarter 560MR.

Did i say it was just about to start 1st quarter 559MR!

and in my game Azrai is returning from the south where gunpower is common and merchants are going to start filtering it up during just after the Sword & Crown.

Downloads
    Uploads
    An alternative "middle of the road" option is to define some sort of penalization to AC values - something like "ignore any AC bonuses from leather based armor, halve AC bonuses for metal based armors - and give firearms strong critical threat ranges and high damage".

Historically, although firearms didn't come to almost dominate warfare (I say almost because even today the bayonet and knife have a place in restricted space close quarter fighting), from sometime in the middle of the 16th century onward lack of firearms became a very big disadvantage, and pretty much access or not to them could determine the outcome of a battle. See the history of the expansion into the east by the portuguese and dutch etc... or even before that the tremendous influence cannon had in the conquest of Granada.

Also, the fact is that it takes A LOT less training to make someone competente at using a firearm (and it's much easier to aim a gun than other types of ranged weapns - much as a crossbow is easier to aim than a bow). It was possible to train a competent infantryman to use firearms in a couple of months. This was one of the decisive factors in the spread of firearms, made even faster and more important with the rise of "national" armies, starting in the 17th and culminating in the Napoleonic armies.

José de Freitas
    Portugal

Downloads
    Uploads

Any openings?

Are there any available openings for this game?

Thread Information