Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As part of the Atlas of Cerilia project, there will be full descriptions and stats for a variety of major NPCs, basically all those regent who are marked down as not recommended for players will have a full description and everyone else will have something similar to what was done in the original material.

The reasoning behind this is quite simple. NPC are meant to be the PC's opponents, so their stats are important. Everyone else is a possible PC regent, so it is up to the DM or player to create their stats.

From Anuire the following NPC regent will have full stats.
    The Spider (Awnsheghlien Fighter 13, see Blood Enemies book)
    Aeric Boeruine (Anuirean Fighter 12)
    Rhuobhe Manslayer (Awnsheghlien Fighter 16/Sorcerer 13)
    Darien Avan (Anuirean Noble 6/Fighter 3)
    Gavin Tael (Anuirean Fighter 9)
    Daeric Mhoried (Anuirean Fighter 2/Ranger 5)
    Caliedhe Dosiere (Anuirean Noble 4/Wizard 16)
    The Gorgon (see BRCS)
    The Hand of Azrai (Vos Cleric 16)
    The Eyeless One (?? Wizard 9)
    Godar Thurinson (Dwarven Fighter 6)
    Razzik Fanggrabber (Goblin Fighter 4)
    Tie'skar Graecher (Goblin Fighter 7)
    Kral Two-Toes (Goblin Priest 6)
    Mheallie Bireon (Anuirean Rogue 8)
    The Chimaera (Awnsheghlien Wizard 13)
    Jaison Raenech (Anuirean Fighter 7)

So if you would like your chance to help out with the Atlas of Cerilia, here it is. I'll set the due date for any submission as the end of the month. All submissions are to be using the 3.5 rules (download the SRD if you don't have them).

As before all submission are to either be posted on this thread or sent directly to dmdarkstar@yahoo.com
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh, and I almost forgot. To keep everything simple, I'd like all submissions to be in the following format (taken from the submissions to dungeon document). The final format may vary somewhat, but this version has all the information that will make it into the final Atlas. A description of the character (3-5 paragraphs only) may also be included, but this is optional.

Classed creature’s or NPC’s name, [Gender] [Race] [Class abbreviation
    & level]: CR #; [Size] [type] [(subtype)]; HD #d# [(creature kind)] plus
    #d# [(class abbreviation)]; or (for NPC) #d#; hp #; Init #; Spd # ft.[, second
    movement mode # ft. ([maneuverability for aerial movement]); AC #,
    touch #, flat-footed # [[AC modifiers]]; Atk +# melee [(weapon stats,
    attack type)] or +# ranged [(weapon stats, attack type)]; Face/Reach [if
    other than 5 ft. by 5 ft./5 ft.]; SA [Short descriptions of special attacks,
    complex descriptions go under Special Attacks]; SQ [Short descriptions
    of special abilities, complex descriptions go under Special Qualities]; SR
    #; AL [alignment abbreviation]; SV Fort +#, Ref +#, Will +#; Str #, Dex #,
    Con #, Int #, Wis #, Cha #.

Skills and Feats:List skills in alphabetical order and provide the skill
    modifier (in the form +#) for each one. Modifiers that apply in special
    circumstances are explained in parentheses immediately after the base
    modifier. List feats in alphabetical order after skills, separating this list
    from the skill list with a period.

Special Ability name or Special Quality name (Ex/Su/Sp): description
    of appropriate ability or quality here. Separate each special ability
    or special quality into a new paragraph, as is done in the Monster
    Manualentries.

Possessions:[Items worn or carried].

Physical Descriptionif significant) [Details about appearance]
    Spells Prepared(#/#/#; base DC = # + spell level): 0—[cantrip, cantrip
    (2)]; 1st—[first, first;] 2nd—[second].

OR (if cleric)

Spells Prepared(#/#/#; base DC = # + spell level): 0—[orison, orison
    (2)]; 1st—[first*, first;] 2nd—[second*, second].
    *Domain spell. Domains: [Domain (granted power); Domain (granted
    power)].

OR

Spells Known(#/#/#; base DC = # + spell level): 0—[cantrip, cantrip];
    1st—[first, first]; 2nd—[second].

AND (with Spells Prepared)

Spellbook:0—[cantrip, cantrip , cantrip, cantrip, cantrip]; 1st—[first,
    first, first, first]; 2nd—[second, second, second]; 3rd—[third, third, third].

Example:

Skurge Dwarfbane, Male Troll Bbn3: CR 8; Large Giant; HD 6d6+36
    (troll) plus 3d12+18 (Bbn); hp 101; Init +6; Spd 40 ft.; AC 18, touch 11,
    flat-footed 16 [[+7 natural, +2 Dex, –1 size]]; Atk +12 melee (1d6+6, 2
    claws), +7 melee (1d6+3, bite) or +12/+7 melee (1d12+9/x3, greataxe) or
    +12/+7 melee (1d10+9 subdual, large sap); Face/Reach 5 ft. by 5 ft./10 ft.;

SA rage, rend; SQ uncanny dodge, regeneration, scent (detects living
    creatures within 30 ft.); AL CN; SV Fort +14, Ref +3, Will +5; Str 23, Dex
    14, Con 23, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 6. Height 8 ft.

Skills: Jump +8, Listen +5, Spot +5. Feats: Alertness, Improved
    Initiative, Iron Will.

Rage (Ex)uring his rage, Skurge has the following statistics instead
    of those given above: +18 hp, AC 16 (touch 9, flat-footed 14); Atk
    +14/+14/+9 melee (1d6+8, 2 claws; 1d6+4, bite) or +11 melee
    (1d12+12/x3, greataxe) or +11 melee (1d10+12 subdual, large sap); SV Fort
    +16, Will +7; Str 27, Con 27. Skills: Jump +10. The rage lasts 11 rounds,
    after which time the troll is fatigued. Skurge can rage once per day.

Rend (Ex): If a troll hits with both claw attacks, it latches onto the
    opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an
    additional 2d6+9 points of damage.

Regeneration (Ex): Fire and acid deal normal damage to a troll. If a
    troll loses a limb or body part, the lost portion regrows in 3d6 minutes.
    The creature can reattach the severed member instantly by holding it to
    the stump.

Possessions:Greataxe with three gems embedded in the handle (500
    gp, 100 gp, and 50 gp respectively), large leather sack containing six severed
    dwarf heads (can be used as a large sap, inflicting 1d10+9 points of
    subdual damage).
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Spells prepared? Under what circumstances? Political? Adventuring? The most likely situation PC's will find them in?

Downloads
    Uploads
    It might be better to present the major NPCs in a tactics round by round format like that used in the 3.5 MM for the significant monsters. For example (from MM, Demon- Balor)

Tactics Round by Round
    Prior to combat: Unholy aura
    Round 1: Fire Storm or implosion and quickened telekinesis, or summon additional demons. If the balor does not deem itself seriously threatened, it conserves abilities usable only once per day and uses blaphemy instead.
    Round 2: Insanity or power word stun
    Round 3: Full melee attack with weapon, including entangle with whip
    Round 4: Teleport or fly away with entangled foe to reestablish range; repeat round 1 and continue

A balor who wants to drive off or neutralize a party without slaying its foes avoids lethal attack.
    Round 1: Dominate monster
    Round 2: Pwer word stun
    Round 3: Insanity or telekinesis to incapacitate or repel a dangerous opponent
    Round 4: Teleport or fly away to reestablish range; repeat round 1 and continue
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    It might be better to present the major NPCs in a tactics round by round format like that used in the 3.5 MM for the significant monsters.
    Is all of that really necessary to be included in the Atlas? I for one prefer not to have standardized, predictable behavior from NPC's, especially when players might be reading the descriptions (whether they should be or not). Writing up specifics like that really takes away a DM's creativity and encourages thinking within a generic box.

If all the other stats are written up for a PC, is it really unreasonable to expect a DM to write out a spell list based on the adventure situation?

I think it's important to keep a resource like the Atlas somewhat flexible and open-ended in this sense. If a module-type adventure were being published, that would be a different situation. There you have story context in which to base spell lists, tactics, etc.

In the Atlas, I think a character description should suffice as a set of guidelines for a DM thinking about tactics. The "round-by-round tactics" seems more like a "how to" guide for dealing with power gamers by min-maxxing the NPC's. Combat starts looking like a D&D computer game at that point, with the monsters providing repetitive, somewhat predictable challenges. I'd rather not see Birthright go the way of the Munchkin.

Osprey

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to say that I agree with Osprey on this. The round by round canned tactics seem very munchkinish to me and I for one wouldn't even use them.
    If that's the way things are dealt with in the new 3.5 edition, I have to say that that's just one more reason for me not to invest the $90 in a whole new set of rules that are only somewhat different than 3E.

Birthright Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, irdeggman wrote:

> It might be better to present the major NPCs in a tactics round by round

> format like that used in the 3.5 MM for the significant monsters. For

> example (from MM, Demon- Balor)

You`re kidding, right? These are the peers of the PCs, to be schemed

against and competed with, not to be Buff-Scried-Teleported and smacked

down.

--

Daniel McSorley

Downloads
    Uploads
    A Dm can change whatever he needs to, to fit in his campaign. I, (as either DM or player) for one, prefer Stats and Spells to work from. I don't usually follow all the things presented, but I like to have the original to work from...
    I think its a good reminder (direction) of how things should be as the base (the intention of the NPC's role in Birthright for example)... and allows more time for creativity. (If you have a few hours to work on a character, you can spend it on his stats and skills or you can spend it bringing him to life by writing up his motivations, passions, hates and yearnings. Not to mention fleshing out his travels, his bastards, his hobbies.....)
    For both PC's and NPC's.
    Which, I think, leads to a more interesting game.

Allthough, listing all the spells per round like:
    Tactics Round by Round
    Round 1: Fire Storm or implosion and quickened telekinesis, or summon additional demons. If the balor does not deem itself seriously threatened, it conserves abilities usable only once per day and uses blaphemy instead.
    Round 2: Insanity or power word stun
    Round 3: Full melee attack with weapon, including entangle with whip
    Round 4: Teleport or fly away with entangled foe to reestablish range; repeat round 1 and continue
    Seems a bit obsessive to me....
    O hark, O hear! How thin and clear,
    And thinner, clearer, farther going!
    O sweet and far from cliff and scar
    The Horns of Sielwode faintly blowing!

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is for gee whiz - but it is a write up that I have on hand and could easily be morphed into someone else. The PrC is from Dynasties and Demagouges.

Chamberlain Dosiere, human male Aris 5/ Ftr 2/ Politician 10; HD 10d4 + 5d8 + 2d10 + 16; hp 71; Init +0; Spd 30 ft.; AC 10; Atk +12/+7 (1d8 + 5 Throneguard); SA Aura of Power, Blooded, Compelling Promise, Matching Speech, Personal Touch, Public Appeal, Public Support, Quid Pro Quo, Satisfying Ambiguity, Seniority, Sense of the Room; SV Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +14; Str 12, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 15, Cha 19

Skills: Administration +11, Appraise +7, Bluff +14, Climb +4, Diplomacy +20, Gather Information +13, Intimidate +9, Jump +4, KS: Arcana +6, KS: Architecture +5, KS: Blood Lore +6, KS: Geography +10, KS: History +11, KS: Law +13, KS: Local +12, KS: Religion +8, Lead +12, Listen +2, Perform (Music) +7, Perform (Oratory) +15, Ride +7, Sense Motive +13, Spot +2, Swim +5, Warcraft +8

Feats: Alertness, Commanding Voice, Inspired Leader, Information Network, Leadership, Mounted Combat, Skill Focus – Diplomacy, Weapon Focus – Long Sword. (Need one more).

Aura of power (Su): Any character who can see and hear Dosiere must make a Will save (DC 29) to voice disagreement with him or to disobey his direct commands while in his presence. This is a mind affecting, charm-like power.

Compelling Promise: Dosiere gains a +2 influence bonus to Diplomacy checks when he makes a promise to be fulfilled later. He is not required to fulfill the promise but frequent failure will result in a penalty as he develops a reputation for empty promises.

Matching Speech: Dosiere inspires confidence and trust by speaking in the same manner as the person he is trying to influence. This grants him a +2 reaction bonus to Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate and Perform (Oratory) checks.

Personal Touch: When Dosiere greets someone, he may make a KS: Local check (DC 15) to remember a flattering detail about them. If he succeeds at this check, he may bring it up to gain a +2 bonus to a single Bluff, Diplomacy, or Sense Motive check.

Public Appeal: Once per day, Dosiere may compel an audience of up to 500 people to perform a simple, non-violent task for him. He must speak to the audience for at least 10 minutes and must succeed at a Perform (Oratory) check (DC 25).

Public Support: Dosiere can rally the people to his cause. He must speak with an audience for 30 minutes. He must succeed at a Perform (Oratory) check (DC 15 +1 for each 100 members in the audience). If he succeeds, he gains a +1 competence bonus for each 100 members of the audience. He may use the bonus for any one Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, or Perform (Oratory) check on any matter on which the opinion of the Audience has any bearing. He must use this bonus within 24 hours of receiving it.

Sense of the Room: Dosiere may make a Sense Motive check (DC 18) to learn the needs and goals of a group of people. Each attempt requires ten minutes of conversation with the members of the group. If the check is successful, he understands what each person hopes to accomplish and why.

Need to figure his sword and listed items into the mix.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are all of Dosiere's powers based on the politician class? I take it that is a prestige class, yeah? Dynasties and Demagogues? What is that?

Osprey

Thread Information