Hybrid View

Irrdeggman wrote:

> As has been pointed out in other threads, the Atlas is going to have a

write up on the different religious orders which should at least come closer

to meeting what you would like on this subject.

How will the atlas being handling levels?

AD&D had an assumption of equal or near equal non-combat skills irregardless

of level - that is Rogr Algondier had a boatload of skills even though he

was low level because level did not have much of a factor on skills

especially when everyone (by and large) is restricted to the lower levels.

In 3E, skill and savvy (realm feats like Regent Focus or leadership type

feats) are directly tied to the level and class(s) of a character.

FREX: Daeric Mhoried under 3E or 3.5 will never even be on par with realms

like Ghoere, Avan, and Boeruine. Those leaders are all 9th level and have

Warcraft and Lead as class skills.

Call me curious. :)

Eosin the Red ~ Randy
    Hello, I guess I gotta have a sig.

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I believe I can answer your question... (Although if it is to your satisfaction or not

Firstly, under the rule changes in the new rulebook the most important skill for a regent are those that enable him to collect the maximum RP from a realm. Using Rogr as an example, as a 3rd level wizard if he spends the maximum skill points possible on knowledge (arcana) and knowledge (nature) then he will collect maximum RP from his holdings. See pg 95. and 96. of the d20 rulebook for more info on this.

The rest of the skills, while useful, are not as vital to the successful running of a realm and gold and regency are, as I'm sure you will agree.

Also, there will be some adjustment to levels, classes, etc of regents in the Atlas, not to a great degree, but where it is deemed necessary. The changing of the multi-classing rules in 3E mean there will be changes. Using Daeric Mhoried as an example, he is likely to become a multiclassed fighter/ranger rather than just a straight ranger and there will be a lot of other changes like this.

Of course, those of use involved with the Atlas project are always willing to listen to your suggestions, so if there is a change you think needs to be made for the new Atlas, then let us know and we will consider it.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Firstly, under the rule changes in the new rulebook the most important skill for a regent are those that enable him to collect the maximum RP from a realm. Using Rogr as an example, as a 3rd level wizard if he spends the maximum skill points possible on knowledge (arcana) and knowledge (nature) then he will collect maximum RP from his holdings. See pg 95. and 96. of the d20 rulebook for more info on this.
    What about his land and law holdings? Just sources of income and control?

A related question concerning Rogr Aglondier: how could he possibly compete effectively with the High Mage Aelies, unless Aelies is basically a softie who doesn't try too hard to drive out Aglondier's control of the Erebannien?

In my own campaign, I explained this by assuming that the long-lived Aelies simply has bigger concerns on his mind, and lets Aglondier share control of the Erebannien so long as he doesn't abuse the power or the forest.

I've always imagined Aelies as a kind of champion of Ruornil and one of the primary defenders against the encroaching Shadow World. Of course, I didn't read the novels or supplemental info, just basing this on the core material in the original BR book (which amounts to a few paragraphs altogether).

But one of the beauties of the original Birthright was the authors' attitude that DM's should freely modify the particulars of regents, domains, etc. to suit their campaigns. The base material was there if you wanted to use it, but it wasn't canon inscribed on stone tablets. Very DM-friendly that way, and I hope the spirit of that is somehow included in the Atlas project, perhaps in the intro (especially for the benefit of new players and DM's).

Osprey

Thread Information