Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey. It posted half of my original post again. But only half. Wierd. So, since I can't delete it, I'm editing it.
    bye.
    O hark, O hear! How thin and clear,
    And thinner, clearer, farther going!
    O sweet and far from cliff and scar
    The Horns of Sielwode faintly blowing!

Birthright Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Vallariel wrote:

> Why not make the Gheallie Sidhe a special training option rather than a

> special elven unit?My thoughts: Looking at two elves standing around,

> you cannot say if one is Gheallie Sidhe or Neut. (At least not until he

> opens his mouth... :D )And if the Gheallie Sidhe is meant to be more of

> a violent hit and run unit, if would seem to me that having that option

> for Archers or Cavalry might be a good idea. The Gheallie Sidhe could be

> a special training option like Scouting or Toughness available only to

> Elves. This way, it could be applied to any Elven unit rather than it

> being based on a Knight or Cavalry unit as is popular.

Gheallie Sidhe means "Ride of the Elves". Mounted units are the ones that

would tend to fall under this aegis, don`t you think?

--

Daniel McSorley

Downloads
    Uploads
    Daniel McSorley schrieb:

>On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Vallariel wrote:

>

>

>>Why not make the Gheallie Sidhe a special training option rather than a

>>special elven unit?My thoughts: Looking at two elves standing around,

>>you cannot say if one is Gheallie Sidhe or Neut. (At least not until he

>>opens his mouth... :D )And if the Gheallie Sidhe is meant to be more of

>>a violent hit and run unit, if would seem to me that having that option

>>for Archers or Cavalry might be a good idea. The Gheallie Sidhe could be

>>a special training option like Scouting or Toughness available only to

>>Elves. This way, it could be applied to any Elven unit rather than it

>>being based on a Knight or Cavalry unit as is popular.

>>

>>

>Gheallie Sidhe means "Ride of the Elves". Mounted units are the ones that

>would tend to fall under this aegis, don`t you think?

>Daniel McSorley

>

>

Ride of the Elves? The 2E Ruins of empire (p. 55) under the Tuarhievel

entry had "Hunt of the Elves" which would not necessarirly

mean mounted.

bye

Michael

Downloads
    Uploads
    At 07:56 PM 9/2/2003 +0200, Vallariel wrote:

>The Gheallie Sidhe could be a special training option like Scouting or

>Toughness available only to Elves.

"Favored Enemy: Human" seems like a good way to describe the GS in an

adventure level. Bonuses on damage vs human units would probably be enough

to justify their powers at a large scale unit level. Other things like the

"scout" descriptor, whether they are mounted or infantry, irregulars or

trained units could all be variables.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just posted a related comment on the "Nature school for Elvens wizards" thread: (should I repost this, or just give a pointer?)

My own personal view of Elves and Dwarves, especially when they are under population pressure, is that both groups are more reluctant to fight, both outsiders and other members of their race, but when they do fight, they fight to kill. Banners and ribbons and shields and trumpets--these matter little to demi-humans.

Among other traits, I think that Elves would be less likely than most races to meet on fixed fields of battle. With stealth and low light vision, Elves would be terrible guerilla fighters. If the Elves decided that you should die, one day you would just never wake up. The combination of slight stature, and the prospect of eternal life, if not killed by other creatures, would lead to a race of snipers. And by this I do not mean +2 on missle combat. I mean, the regent takes off a day to go hunting and never returns.

One interesting possible extention of Geeman's 'Fallen Humanity' concept is "Half-Elves Ascendent". One good strategy for Elves would be to insinuate themselves into the human ruling class, and make Elven blood a mark of status among humans. By allying themselves with major human bloodlines, and offering some of their scions in marriage, they could create a class of Noble Half-Elves with genetic ties to to the Elves, and create some very interesting diplomatic interactions. How would *you* like to live an extra 150 years? Or failing that, have your heir live an extra 150 years?

Among other things, I think that the long lives of Elves, and to a lesser extent, dwarves are vastly underrated in terms of game implications. What if every elf, male and female, had to serve for 50 years in the Elven Militia (call it what you will). Even a very lazy elf would probably attain 3rd level as a ranger or druid, and could go up to 10-12th. Imagine an entire nation of 3-10th level rangers who sing/make pottery/paint/craft furnture/etc because they prefer it. What would happen if you enraged such a people? What would happen to a human province if 1,000 ticked off 5th level Elven rangers invaded, in bands of 6 to 12? Ugly! Ugly! Ugly!

In the quality/quantity fight two very important factors are concentration of force, and replentishment rate. It the quanity side can bring a significant fraction of it's forces to bear at once, and replentish them rapidly, they will win. Conversely, if the quality side can pick their battles, keep the quanity side off balance, and disrupt reinforcements, they will win.

After a full human lifetime of facing 3 HD orogs in constricted caves, the average dwarf would be to the average human as the average special forces Sgt Major is to the average Army private coming out of infantry combat school.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like Geeman's idea of "favored enemy: human" as explaining the extra deadliness of these units. I don't see any fair way to implement my "immortal hardcases" concept of elves within the realm of the BR rules.

Hmm, maybe the Elves could force opposing human regents to burn realm actions dealing with "Monsters: Elves" as the Gheallie Sidhe Units commit murder in the dark of night.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is my idea for the Gheallie Sidhe. It is very similar to the specialty holdings.

There can only be one unit for a regent.

It can not be the Renown Unit, but I can see it being the unit from the Leadership Feat.

The unit is powered by a source holding. While the Gheallie Sidhe is in existense the source holding produces no RP or power any spells or Ley Lines. (This is similar to the spell Stronghold.)

The benifits are that the source provides "Virtual GB" as is it was a guild/temple (2/3 GB per source level). These "Virtual GBs" can only be used to pay for the following training options:

Advanced Training:Melee- Unit's weapons become magical
    (magic weapon or greater magic weapon)

Advanced Training:Missile- Unit's weapons become magical
    (greater magic weapon)

Advanced Trainingefense- Unit's armor become magical
    (abjuration type defenses)

Advanced Training:Morale- Hatred is fueled and the increase in fury carries them into battle.

Toughness- There is not an increase in the units strenght, but abjuration/transmutation makes each attack do less damage. (Similar to DR or the endure elements and protection from missiles spells)

Downloads
    Uploads
    An interesting bit of information is that of all the races in Cerilia the elves are the only ones to have been at war with all of the other ones at different times. Well maybe not Orogs, but definitely dwarves, humans and goblins.

Something like that tends towards a view of racial intolerance, just my 2 cp.

I don't count halflings here because they are not native to Cerlilia.

Dwarves have been at war with elves, orogs and I believe goblins but not humans.

Goblins could quite possibly be like the elves in that they have been at war with all of the other races, I'm not certain about any goblin-dwarf war though.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Dwarven/Sidhe war was a short lived affair -- I've always run with it being less than 200 years in length, and was really nothing more than low-level skirmishes.

I am throwing into the B-A section of the Atlas that it initiated when the first Karamhul colonies on the surface appeared, and were cut off from coal to run their forges, so they started cutting the forests. The war eventually petered out when the Sidhe saw that the Karamhul were not expanding on the surface like the just-arrived humans were. There was an agreement reached that the Karamhul would not make any attempt to inhabit the deep forests of the Aelvinwode, and the Sidhe would not press any claim to the high mountains.
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion -- and usually easier."

- R. A. Heinlien, from The Collected works of Lazarus Long

Downloads
    Uploads
    ----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, September 20, 2003 1:43 PM

> I am throwing into the B-A section of the Atlas that it initiated

> when the first Karamhul colonies on the surface appeared

Do you have some compelling explanation of how underground societies get

sufficent energy without Avani? Or are we operating on the

floating-city-level of fantasy here?

Kenneth Gauck

kgauck@mchsi.com