> abilities to build civilization without reducing the sources. Is

> Rhuobhe really still living in harmony with nature, according to the

> traditional elven ways?

I think that over time, the Manslayer has come to live in harmony with the

nature *of the Shadow World* -- I think his domain there is vastly larger

and more powerful, with his domain on the "light" side of the evanescence

just an afterthought, kept around mostly for sentimental value and by

inertia. If Rhoubhe ever does conquer his human neighbors, I think it

will look a lot like Tuar Annwn`s expansion into the Gnoll Fells.

Ryan Caveney

Downloads
    Uploads
    Speaking of time flowing differently in elven realms, I wanted to post an idea I've been working on. I'll repost this in the Royal Library under the elven source/realm thread where this discussion began.

Time flows more slowly in the elven realms, often seeming timeless altogether. The elves are reflections of their environment, and hence they are a seemingly timeless people as well. These magical realms resist the dramatic changes that nature wreaks on the outside world - one of the reasons the elven forests are virtually unchanged from their ancient forms.

There are several things that can affect this flow of time. One is the mere presence of mortals, whose own hurried sense of time, and the imprint on the mebhaighal that this creates, sends ripples through the fabric of the elven realms. This effect is very small when a lone, mundane human simply wanders into the forest, but it is dramatically amplified when a person of power enters. Scions and spellcasters, and anyone who tends to mold reality around them (such as a high-level character), create much more dramatic ripples in this fabric, sometimes felt as tremors or 'spikes' in the normal flows of the local mebhaighal.

Although the effect may be small when a lone mortal enters the bounds of the elven wood, this effect is dramatically magnified when groups of mortals enter together, or worst of all, when entire armies march into an elven realm. The effects are all too well known in the elven history of Cerilia...few indeed are the surviving elven realms where once they were freely spread throughout the continent.

Finally, there is one other way in which time flows are altered in the Sidhe's domain. The regent of an elven realm has the power and authority to alter that flow as need dictates, although they tend to do so only when necessary as it disrupts the natural harmony of a Sidhe realm. Skilled regents, especially elven wizards (and most ruling elven regents ARE wizards) who have a familiar comfort with weaving and shaping the flows of mebhaighal, often shape these flows around very limited areas to allow mortals to enter a realm without their presence disruting the general peace. This is the case in places such as Tuarheivel, where the trade road has a continous barrier surrounding it, as does the trading post at the end of that road.

The other instance in which time may be altered is when the domain is threatened. When mortals threaten to invade or damage the realm, it is necessary to react with equal alacrity. Thus, on a domain level of play, an elven regent typically would improve or change the realm very little (if at all), yet can move troops, contest invasive holdings, spend RP to block invasive attempts at creating holdings as necessary, and/or cast realm spells as necessary to protect the realm from mortal incursion. I imagine that an elven regent might take 1 domain action per year (or even less frequently&#33 if the realm is left undisturbed, but could move at "normal" mortal speed if the need were great (1 action per month + court actions, if any).

-Osprey

Thread Information