Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi all,
    I was really hoping to get some input on this one. I was reading through some of the Birthright literature regarding Rjurik Sorcerers, and it just doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. Perhaps someone here has some ideas.

The background: I had a character created, choosing the race randomly, but choosing to be a sorcerer. I ended up being Rjurik.

As we all know, Rjurik culture frowns on the use of magic, much in the way Dwarven society does. Thus, sorcerers often leave home, to be alone with their "cursed" natural abilities to use magic. Because sorcerers are so shunned and looked down upon, the spellcasters attempt to hide their abilities by using "low profile" spells, so say the books.
    It is said that they do not like to cast spells from the school of Evocation. Fireball, Ice Storm, Lightning Bolt, Light, Magic Missle are some of these. It also states that they prefer to use spells that are connected to nature and the elements; fire, ice, electric. There is definitely a contradiction here.
    So, if Light and Magic Missle isn't allowed as their spells, bringing too much attention to themselves, why are spells like Burning Hands, Color Spray, Hypnotic Pattern and Prismatic Wall permissable? I assure you, any of these cast would surely draw the attention of the enemy as well as spectators. In fact, I believe any spell cast would draw attention; the purposeful intricate hand weaving, arcane words spoken and the combustion of spell components being consumed by magical energies.

So, here are my thoughts on the subject, perhaps you have some input, pro or con:
    A Rjurik sorcerer may begin his "career" attempting to keep his magical abilities secret. Living in solitude as much as possible while trying to learn to control the magical energy. I believe though at some point, he would no longer care what others believe about his magic; that he would say "Magic is very powerful and very useful. If others do not agree, though. If they challenge me, they will fall."
    Perhaps he would leave his homeland if he did not feel this way, to start a life in another land where he is not felt an outcast, and there he would develope more powerful magic; the magic of evocation.
    And maybe, since he ties is magic so closely to elemental magic, he may believe that evocation is too closely related to his beliefs of the wilderness to not venture into it. Afterall, fire and ice are part of nature.
    I'm sure the sorcerer would know that anyone around him would know he were using magic, regarless of the type of spell from hearing him speak, watching him move his hands, the comsumption of the spell component and of course, the outcome of these things. Why would he not then decide that if he is going to be known as a magic user, he may as well use the abilities he has to the fullest potential?

-- Krow

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think most Rjurik sorcerers try to pass themselves off as diviners,

shamans, or bards, and fit within the acceptable limits of Rjurik society.

Even living out in the wilderness is no protection from a mob itself at home

in the wilderness. They live apart hoping to go mostly unnoticed, but they

also try to mostly keep spells witnessed within the acceptable limits. Both

are good strategies to avoid having powerful characters show up to send you

to the next world.

Kenneth Gauck

kgauck@mchsi.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Krow schrieb:

>This post was generated by the Birthright.net message forum.

> You can view the entire thread at: http://www.birthright.net/forums/ind...=ST&f=2&t=1912

>

> Krow wrote:

> Hi all, I was really hoping to get some input on this one. I was reading through some of the Birthright literature regarding Rjurik Sorcerers, and it just doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. Perhaps someone here has some ideas. The background: I had a character created, choosing the race randomly, but choosing to be a sorcerer. I ended up being Rjurik. As we all know, Rjurik culture frowns on the use of magic, much in the way Dwarven society does. Thus, sorcerers often leave home, to be alone with their "cursed" natural abilities to use magic. Because sorcerers are so shunned and looked down upon, the spellcasters attempt to hide their abilities by using "low profile" spells, so say the books.It is said that they do not like to cast spells from the school of Evocation. Fireball, Ice Storm, Lightning Bolt, Light, Magic Missle are some of these. It also states that they prefer to use spells that are connected to nature and the elements;

> fire, ice, electric. There is definitely a contradiction here. So, if Light and Magic Missle isn't allowed as their spells, inging too much attention to themselves, why are spells like Burning Hands, Color Spray, Hypnotic Pattern and Prismatic Wall permissable? I assure you, any of these cast would surely draw the attention of the enemy as well as spectators. In fact, I believe any spell cast would draw attention; the purposeful intricate hand weaving, arcane words spoken and the combustion of spell components being consumed by magical energies.So, here are my thoughts on the subject, perhaps you have some input, pro or con:A Rjurik sorcerer may begin his "career" attempting to keep his magical abilities secret. Living in solitude as much as possible while trying to learn to control the magical energy. I believe though at some point, he would no longer care what others believe about his magic; that he would say "Magic is very powerful and very useful. If others do not agree, though. If they challenge me, they will fall." Perhaps he would leave his homeland if he did not feel t

> his way, to start a life in another land where he is not felt an outcast, and there he would develope more powerful magic; the magic of evocation. And maybe, since he ties is magic so closely to elemental magic, he may believe that evocation is too closely related to his beliefs of the wilderness to not venture into it. Afterall, fire and ice are part of nature. I'm sure the sorcerer would know that anyone around him would know he were using magic, regarless of the type of spell from hearing him speak, watching him move his hands, the comsumption of the spell component and of course, the outcome of these things. Why would he not then decide that if he is going to be known as a magic user, he may as well use the abilities he has to the fullest potential? -- Krow

>

Rjurik shun true wizards/sorcerors, but Druids and Skalds are highly

praised.

So spells that are or at least look similar to spells of Druids and

Skalds are certainly acceptable. A wizard pretending to be a druid or

Skald certainly could use light.

But any spell which would reveal that he is a true wizard, using true

magic would be shunned...

bye

Michael

Downloads
    Uploads
    You've both made a good point about what is and is not acceptable in their society. I can see clearly that a Rjurik sorcerer would attempt to hide his "true magic" in an attempt to pass himself off as a Druid or a Skald (which I assume is German for Bard?) I wonder though, with this amount of persecution, how long would he want to stay in his homeland, hiding what and who he is?

I would think he'd want to get out of there to be "free" of the stress of secrecy. With no family to stand by you, and friends you must hide from, why would you choose to stay? I know I would go to where I would be accepted for what I was. And starting a life in a land where other magics are acceptable, even held in high regard, why then would you not choose to learn?

If this were my situation, I would have long since left my homeland to go where I were welcome to be myself. I would learn all I could about who I was. I would likely never return to my homeland, unless I were so powerful that I didn't care what others there thought of me.

Well, just a thought.
    -- Krow

Downloads
    Uploads
    ----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 3:13 PM

> I wonder though, with this amount of persecution, how long would he

> want to stay in his homeland, hiding what and who he is?

While its certainly the case that many such Rjurik sorcerers might leave for

greener pastures, some will stay. Some will be successful at passing

themselves off as something else, especially if they multiclass. They will

apply the principle of "you are who you say you are" and dress like and act

like druids or skalds. A druid of Erik isn`t incompatable with either a

Ruornil or Avani oriented spellcaster, since Erik`s priesthood is allied to

both. The prohibition is cultural, not theological.

Others will stay to fill a vacuum. With fewer of their kind around, there

are fewer direct rivals. Its a choice between fewer arcane spellcasters and

more hostile others, and a more friendly enviroment but plenty of arcane

rivals.

Some will stay out of stubborness or a desire to make their persecutors pay.

This is easiest for casters of higher level, whether after a period passing

themselves off or of exile, the powerful sorcerer who does not make enemies

of the druids as a general group, can stand up to those who will take risks

to drive you out.

Kenneth Gauck

kgauck@mchsi.com

Thread Information