Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Site Moderator geeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,178
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    7
    One of the things about original D&D was that it borrowed from Tolkien`s

    take on elves in that they did not have an immortal soul. (He got a lot of

    his stuff on elves from various mythological sources, but attributing this

    matter to JRRT is much simpler for our purposes here.) Game mechanically

    this had relatively few effects other than the difficulty with which elves

    were raised from the dead and their longevity--which made things like aging

    effects from creating magic items, casting certain spells or the occasional

    undead pretty harmless to them.



    In 3e, of course, elves are not nearly as long lived as they were in

    previous editions, and the majority of the aging effects have been excised

    (along with the anti-aging ones.) For BR purposes, however, we have elves

    that are immortal, not just long-lived. They are more in keeping with

    Tolkien`s elves . They do not worship the gods for various reasons, some

    of which may have to do with the nature of their own spiritual make

    up. Elves certainly can die, but do they have an immortal soul that goes

    on to some BR equivalent of the D&D planar cosmology to reach an ultimate

    heaven-like existence? What do you guys think?



    Gary













  2. #2
    Birthright Developer irdeggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Posts
    3,946
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Originally posted by geeman@Aug 14 2003, 12:17 PM
    out original D&D was that it borrowed from Tolkien`s

    take on elves in that they did not have an immortal soul. (He got a lot of

    his stuff on elves from various mythological sources, but attributing this

    matter to JRRT is much simpler for our purposes here.) Game mechanically

    this had relatively few effects other than the difficulty with which elves

    were raised from the dead and their longevity--which made things like aging

    effects from creating magic items, casting certain spells or the occasional

    undead pretty harmless to them.



    In 3e, of course, elves are not nearly as long lived as they were in

    previous editions, and the majority of the aging effects have been excised

    (along with the anti-aging ones.) For BR purposes, however, we have elves

    that are immortal, not just long-lived. They are more in keeping with

    Tolkien`s elves . They do not worship the gods for various reasons, some

    of which may have to do with the nature of their own spiritual make

    up. Elves certainly can die, but do they have an immortal soul that goes

    on to some BR equivalent of the D&D planar cosmology to reach an ultimate

    heaven-like existence? What do you guys think?



    Gary












    Gary, I don't know what is up but many (if not all) of your posts seem to have the very beginning cut off.
    Duane Eggert

  3. #3
    Site Moderator geeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,178
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    7
    3 +0200, irdeggman wrote:



    >Gary, I don`t know what is up but many (if not all) of your posts seem to

    >have the very beginning cut off.



    Well, I don`t know what`s up with that. The post I get back from the

    listserver looks fine. Arjan?



    Gary

  4. #4
    Site Moderator geeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,178
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    7
    3 +0200, irdeggman wrote:



    >Gary, I don`t know what is up but many (if not all) of your posts seem to

    >have the very beginning cut off.



    In looking over the BR.net boards it looks like its not just my posts, but

    any that come from the listserver get the first two dozen characters or so

    cut off (its hard to tell exactly how much) unless they start off by

    quoting text. It doesn`t seem to matter exactly how the text is quoted,

    but straight text without any quote loses some characters. Just the line

    that states the time and date of the quoted material appears to be enough

    to prevent dropped characters.



    As an experiment, I`m going to send this exact same post, but without the

    quoted text above.



    Gary

  5. #5
    Site Moderator geeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,178
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    7
    BR.net boards it looks like its not just my posts, but

    any that come from the listserver get the first two dozen characters or so

    cut off (its hard to tell exactly how much) unless they start off by

    quoting text. It doesn`t seem to matter exactly how the text is quoted,

    but straight text without any quote loses some characters. Just the line

    that states the time and date of the quoted material appears to be enough

    to prevent dropped characters.



    As an experiment, I`m going to send this exact same post, but without the

    quoted text above.



    Gary

  6. #6
    Moo! Are you happy now? Arjan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Woerden, Netherlands
    Posts
    10,307
    Downloads
    39
    Uploads
    1
    hmmm very strange, i will take a look into it tomorrow...

    A.
    Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
BIRTHRIGHT, DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, D&D, the BIRTHRIGHT logo, and the D&D logo are trademarks owned by Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and are used by permission. ©2002-2010 Wizards of the Coast, Inc.