Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I may be getting WAY ahead of things, here, but...

The good folks at WotC have chosen to eliminate the Scry skill from D&D 3.5. Is Scry going to be added back as a Birthright specific skill, or is there some other mechanism by which an interloper can locate new sources in a magically underdeveloped province?

Uncle Hyena

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by UncleHyena@Jul 27 2003, 05:02 AM
    I may be getting WAY ahead of things, here, but...

The good folks at WotC have chosen to eliminate the Scry skill from D&D 3.5. Is Scry going to be added back as a Birthright specific skill, or is there some other mechanism by which an interloper can locate new sources in a magically underdeveloped province?

Uncle Hyena
    Too early to tell how this will be handled. I still don't have my copies of the 3.5 material and I'm pretty sure that the others on the development team are still processing the info.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Check out the Scry spells. You no longer need to make a scry check, but there is a save versus the scrying attempt, modified by the conditions relevant to the use of the spell.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ge -----

Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 10:30 AM

> Check out the Scry spells. You no longer need to make a scry

> check, but there is a save versus the scrying attempt, modified by

> the conditions relevant to the use of the spell.

Absolutly the wrong direction. I want more skill checks in spellcasting,

not fewer. The bunch of dolts!

Kenneth Gauck

kgauck@mchsi.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Absolutly the wrong direction. I want more skill checks in spellcasting,
    not fewer. The bunch of dolts&#33;

Kenneth Gauck
    I couldn&#39;t agree more. A Swedish system I used to run (Drakkar och Demoner, or "Dragons and Demons" translated) had every School and Spell be a skill that you had to check against whenver you cast it. I thought it was quite cool.

In general, as far as 3.5 is concerned, my opinion is: take what you like and ignore what you don&#39;t&#33; Of course, I&#39;m not trying to get official approval from WOTC, so it&#39;s not such an issue for me...
    Osprey

Downloads
    Uploads
    ge -----

Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 3:50 PM

> A Swedish system I used to run (Drakkar och Demoner, or "Dragons

> and Demons"; translated) had every School and Spell be a skill that

> you had to check against whenver you cast it. I thought it was quite

cool.

That is intriging. I`ll have to put some of that in the stew and see how it

tastes.

Kenneth Gauck

kgauck@mchsi.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    You may be right, but some of their new ideas are way too good:

1) Dwarves have a land speed of 20 ft. per round even when wearing medium/heavy armour and/or carrying a medium/heavy load. Dwarven waraxes and urgoshes are martial weapons for them.

2) Bards have a vaster array of weapons, are not proficient with medium armour, but ignore arcane spell failure chance normally incured by light armour. They can now change their selection of spells, and their Bardic Music has been given more powers. (wonder where the blade-singer has gone... ) 6 + Int skill points&#33;

3) The same concerning spell selection applies to Sorcerers.

4) Monks have finally been powered down (irrelevant; monks are not a part of Birthright).

5) Rangers are now playable&#33; At long last&#33; Whoever thought of assigning them a low Reflex save was a clot&#33; I have given my players a high Reflex for their Rangers before they corrected it... 6 + Int skill points&#33;

6) Barbarians and rogues have been thought over a lot. Better abilities or more evenly/earlier assigned.

7) Less skills&#33; Innuendo part of Bluff and Read Lips part of Spot, while Intuit Direction is automatic at 5 ranks of Survival (aka Wildernes Lore). Some are expanded. Even though I love bards and would love to see them having less trouble, it is only reasonable to expand Perform in Perform (Song), (Oratory), (Wind instruments), (Dance), etc. Also, Knowledge skills now give bonuses, even to Bardic Knowledge&#33;

8) Yada-Yada&#33; Check them out, then think it over. I generally love the new edition, only did not like some aspects (like the lack of exclusive skills).

Birthright Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    4) Monks have finally been powered down (irrelevant; monks are not a part of Birthright).
    Toned down? How? The main thing I&#39;ve noticed is that they&#39;re a bit more flexible. If they indeed have been "toned down" somehow, that&#39;s bad news, not good, as monks weren&#39;t a very powerful class in 3e - they had fairly weak offensive capabilities overall - their main schtick was simply the ability to survive, which made them good for killing wizards, but not much else - they&#39;re just another class that&#39;s decent at a lot of things, but doesn&#39;t really do anything very well. At the start of 3e, I saw a big group of people complain that they thought the monk was too good - play experience tended to prove them wrong.

5) Rangers are now playable&#33; At long last&#33; Whoever thought of assigning them a low Reflex save was a clot&#33; I have given my players a high Reflex for their Rangers before they corrected it... 6 + Int skill points&#33;
    Rangers were always "playable" - it&#39;s just that their good abilities all kicked in early, and then was followed by a long slump within which they gained very little new and interesting stuff. They were arguably a more powerful fighting class than I think a lot of players realized at high levels, however - courtesy of polymorph self.

7) Less skills&#33; Innuendo part of Bluff and Read Lips part of Spot, while Intuit Direction is automatic at 5 ranks of Survival (aka Wildernes Lore). Some are expanded. Even though I love bards and would love to see them having less trouble, it is only reasonable to expand Perform in Perform (Song), (Oratory), (Wind instruments), (Dance), etc. Also, Knowledge skills now give bonuses, even to Bardic Knowledge&#33;
    Less skills doesn&#39;t necessarily strike me as a good thing - obviously, a compromise must be made between too many skills, which tends to give PCs some extreme specialties, and generally matter little, or too few skills, which are too broad and all-inclusive. The skills they got rid of tends to make sense, though - they were generally too narrow to be commonly selected anyway.
    Jan E. Juvstad.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not wanting to insult anyone, but monks were too much... the funniest thing you can do, though, to a particularly looking-his-nose-down-at-you monk of at least 20th level is to bind them in a magic circle; LOL. It is personal experience that makes me speak: the various feats that were introduced for the monk (mostly; with Wisdom prerequisites...) were TOO good. Another good point is the evening of their number of attacks per round.

As for rangers, I agree, they were cool characters&#33; That is, at first level... That&#39;s why so many NPCs in worlds appeared in 3e with but one ranger level&#33;

As for skills... You can say I meant to say what you said.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ge -----

Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 4:25 PM

> You may be right, but some of their new ideas are way too good:

I`m not knocking the whole thing. The update and the new materials are

certainly worth going through, but dropping the scry skill is certainly one

of those things that goes in the wrong direction.

Kenneth Gauck

kgauck@mchsi.com

Thread Information