Thread: Chapter One

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi all,

I am getting ready to possibly run a 3e Birthright game using the playtest rules. For the most part I really like them and I think they portray the uniqueness of the setting very well. I just wanted to post the few changes to the first chapter which I intend to use. I will include my reasoning with each change.

1. Dwarven Increased Density: DR 5/non-bludgeoning

This is a little bit in anticipation of 3.5, but the new DR rules seem to fit and they are one of my favorite changes that are coming in.

2. Elven ability adjustments: +2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Con, -2 Str

The 2e Cerelian Elves received a bonus to Int rather than Cha and it seems to fit their description better, too.

3. Elven alignment restriction: Almost all Elves follow a non-lawful alignment.

I don't like to completely forbid an alignment from a playable race and I am certain that there are at least a few lawful elves. This seems to be in line with the basic 3e concepts.

4. Bloodline Prodigy: the feat should include the line: Special: This feat can be taken multiple times. Each time it applies to a different Blood Ability.

5. Daily Blessing: Duration 1 hour rather than until next prayer time and Sera's Blessing grants the target a +1 bonus to one roll (spot checks, attack, will saves, etc.) for the duration or a -1 to one roll against the target. The type of roll to which the bonus or penalty applies must be chosen at the time the blessing is made.

The (effectively) 24 hour duration seemed overpowered compared to other feats and the blessing granted by Sera did not seem clear to me.

6. Plainsrider, Seafarer, Spymaster: Skill prerequisite 5+ ranks

These all granted more bonus than the typical skill-boosting feats like Alertness, so I thought the prerequisite should be a little bit higher.

That's all for the first chapter. Like I said, I think everyone who worked on the 3e BRCS did a great job and I'd like to thank them for creating this document for us. I look forward to trying out the rules in play.

Sincerely,
    Reed

Downloads
    Uploads
    6. Plainsrider, Seafarer, Spymaster: Skill prerequisite 5+ ranks

These all granted more bonus than the typical skill-boosting feats like Alertness, so I thought the prerequisite should be a little bit higher
    I like your thinking on that one. Especially for Spymaster, which is extremely useful and potent for any guild regent, and most rogues in general.

Which brings up an interesting point: There are multiple feats that are called "Master" feats, yet there are no prerequisites other than race. A 1st level human could be a Master Administrator and Master Merchant (if Brecht). Yet the benefits of the feats are quite high for any regent or lieutenant. Why not require a degree of existing skill (5-10 ranks) in each of these as prerequisites?

-Osprey

Thread Information