Downloads
    Uploads
    Some of you may have been following my recent antics as Mheallie Bireon in Shawn's ongoing "Rise of an Empire" PBeM game . . . . In any case, the situation is about to come to a head. And, I was wondering if anyone has ever put together anything on the Gates of Doom.

I've always avoided attacking that little pass myself because I've never wanted to leave the fate of my army in the hands of a DM's evil creativity. And, I don't think I have ever seen anyone attack it either -- as they have always been talked out of it for some reason . . . . Indeed, more people seem to attack the Gorgon than lead an army through that treacherous pass.

Well, I am curious to see what people have come up with over the years. So, if you have anything, let me know.

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dungeon Issue 59 featured an adventure called Seeking Bloodsilver that was set in Mhelliviene (the Gates of Doom) and specifically in a ruined fortress called Highwall that lies at the southern end of this dangerous pass through the mountains. If you can get hold of a copy that is a good place to start looking for information and ideas.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Depending on the campaign and the maps sometimes it is possible to circumvent the pass completely. I have always avoiding attacking through the pass except as a diversion but I have been gutsy enough to consider attacking Cariele through the Five Peaks or begging Tuarhievel to allow an army to pass through Bhindraith to do it (albeit this is far more difficult to swing).

As a DM I have considered it to be a perpetually cliff terrain such that any unit that is routed is in fact destroyed instead. Units cannot charge in it and are reduced to a single move. I consider it to be 6 squares long with the ability for any unit on the Cariele-side to set up along the perimeter.

It looks something like this

[CARIELE]
    WC T WC
    WC T WC
    WC T WC
    MC T MC
    MC T MC
    MC T MC
    [MHORIED]
    T=Trail
    WC=terrain from which units on the cariele side can reach, but units on the T cannot reach for melee combat.
    MC=terrain from which the units on the Mhoried side can reach but units on the T cannot reach for melee combat

MC cannot attack WC in any way and WC cannot attack MC in any way.

Units in the pass fighting cannot double and are +2 for defense. Unit firing missle weapons in T are +2; Units firing in MC or WC from T are at -4 missle and those units can route.

In winter, I have had other rules but this should help.

Thread Information