Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am interested in a resource list of books or websites or anything relavent
    for educating myself on medieval history and the like. Anyone who knows of
    university courses online or have personal knowledge of books and such to
    share on this I would be most greatful for your inputs.

It is my intent to get a better idea of the history and sense of the
    environment in greater detail so that I may elaborate this through my own
    ideas for a campaign. Therefore I am interested in all the aspects of the
    history that can apply to BR in any way the reader of this email may think
    it could apply even if it is only vicariously.

So in summary a list of books, websites, college courses online links to
    this subject, or any other reference you may be willing to share is most
    welcome. I am sure this list may provide to be of interest to many on this
    list for their personal use.
    Last edited by Thelandrin; 05-24-2011 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Removed advertising link.
    One law, One court, One allied people, One coin, and one tax, is what I shall bring to Cerilia.

Kalien
    I think you will find the following websites useful.

The Online Reference Book for Medieval Studies
    http://www.the-orb.net/

Internet Medieval Sourcebook
    http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/sbook.html

Medieval Demographics Made Easy
    http://www.io.com/~sjohn/demog.htm

Downloads
    Uploads
    For Books:

15th century:
    "War and Chivalry" Malcolm Vale

The Princely Court: Medieval Courts and Culture in North-West Europe, 1270-1380 , Malcolm Vale

Richard Vaughn's "Philip the Bold", "John the Fearless", "Philip the Good", "Charles the Bold", and "Valois Burgundy". This is a series covering the Duke's of Burgundy. It will give you an idea of the rise and fall of one of the most powerful duchies in Europe of the 15th century.

Vaugh's works will give you an idea of the opulance of a medieval court.

Louis XI: The Universal Spider (king of France associated with the Dukes of Burgundy above)

Warwick the Kingmaker , Paul Murray Kendall

Power and Profit: The Merchant in Medieval Europe, Peter Spufford (excellent source if you play a medieval merchant)

Rene d'Anjou's "Book of the Love Smitten Heart".
    Rene d'Anjou's "Book of the Tournament" to give details on how an "ideal" 15th century tournament is hosted.

Growing up in Medieval London

Medieval Prostitution

The Medieval Underworld

The Master of Game (book of hunting)
    Gaston Phebus "Book of the Hunt"

The Boke of Keruvynge: The Book of Carving, Wynken de Worde: a good reference for how a great lord's table is set, the roles of the servants of the body, and a few other things.

14th Century:

"The Goodwife's Guide" (2009) which is a household book written by a upper middle class man in Paris in 1393. It was a guide he wrote instructing his young wife on how to run a household.

Miscellaneous:

Magic in the Middle Ages, Richard Kieckhefer

Forbidden Rites: A Necromancer's Manual of the 15th Century, Richard Kieckhefer

Medieval Gentlewoman: Life in a Gentry Household in the Later Middle Ages

Medieval Herbal Remedies: The Old English Herbarium and Anglo-Saxon Medicine

Medieval and Early Renaissance Medicine: An Introduction to Knowledge and Practice

Fiction: The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman. A well researched historical fiction about the Wars of the Roses.

That's just a small sampling of some scholarly and general histories.
    Last edited by Jaleela; 07-22-2010 at 04:29 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Another book that I thought was pretty decent is:

Special Operations in the Age of Chivalry, 1100 - 1500 by Yuval Noah Harari

This work details intrigue, kidnapping, and great escapes of the nobility through history and details how nobles can work against one another. Just read the chapter "Princes in the Crosshairs" and it shows plotting, planning, agitating against other nobles and the consequences. cool book.
    d'estre bons et leaulx amis et vrais ensemble et de servir l'un 'autre envers et contre tous

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi All,

Here's another source. This one gives good insight into a Royal Household. Look under the heading, Edward II and his reign. The ordinances are a good place to start.

http://edwardthesecond.com/edwardiia...nance1318.html

Jenn
    d'estre bons et leaulx amis et vrais ensemble et de servir l'un 'autre envers et contre tous

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not sure if anyone is even looking at this thread, but here's another resource. This one is 14th century.

Infantry Warfare in the Early Fourteenth Century: Discipline, Tactics, and Technology by Kelly DeVries

Downloads
    Uploads
    Barabara Tuchman's A Distant Mirror. Imminently readable history of the 14th century through the history of the Lords of Coucy

Downloads
    Uploads
    This one is for folks who might be running the Brotherhood of Khet or the Society of the Serpent under Darius Asparta. This book gives readers insight into one of the most feared societies:

THE ISMAILI ASSASSINS: A History of Medieval Murder

The book contains historic accounts of the many creative methods in which these dread assassins killed their victims and infiltrated courts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Armour Archive is an medieval reenactor web board that mostly covers fighting but can provide lots of info on other subjects. And as one of the fore mentioned reenactors, trust me when I say that the details matter to these guys. An excellent source for militaria and related topics. armourarchive.org

Regia Angolorum is a very period specific group that also has a website that can be gleaned for info on lots of subjects. And they're bigger detail nuts than armour archive. Good source of info for use in with the Rjurik. regia.org

Legio Draconis Another great reenactor website that has lots and lots of info if you take the time to look through what they have. Good general purpose medieval and medieval militaria site. legiodraconis.com

Osprey series of books are great for military related details. They can be found on Amazon or other online book sellers.

A web search for reenactor groups can usually lead to links on the info that I imagine that you are looking for. I've been a gamer for about 17 years, and I have learned more things that I now incorporate into fantasy gaming in the five years I've been a medieval reenactor than any of the medieval history classes I took for my history minor. And the cool thing is, with the internet, you don't need to join the groups to access the info

Harald Hadrada, The Warrior's Way
    the military career of Harald Hadrada from Varangian Guardsman to King of Norway. Cool details about early medieval Scandanavia that could be applied in Rjurik settings.

The Art of Medieval Hunting: The Hawk and the Hound
    really awesome book written using excripts from period texts that where written by noted hunters and falconers of the middle ages and renaissance. It is expensive, but worth the money IMO. An excellent source of info on hunting, falconry, game animals, and dog breeds and their uses.

Hunting Weapons from the Middle Ages to the 20th Century
    great book about hunting weapons and accoutrements, with illustrations

Art of Falconry; Being the De Arte Venandi cum Avibus of Frederick II of Hohenstaufen
    Considered one of the ultimate tomes on medieval falconry, written by Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II. This was written in the 12 or 1300s so it is as period specific as information can get on falconry and the social contexts that surrounded the sport amongst nobles in the middle ages.

Writing, Society and Culture in Early Rus, c.950-1300
    Great book on early russian culture, perfect for info to go with the Vos

Viking Rus: Studies on the Presence of Scandinavians in Eastern Europe (The Northern World, V. 12) (No. 12)
    Another book on the Rus, the early russians
    Last edited by stew31r; 05-25-2011 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Double post merged

Downloads
    Uploads

Wink

RE: Armour Archive, you want the Historical Research board.

Bibliography from Historical Interpretation Group

Equestrian Bibliography

Hurstwic a good resource for Rjurik

De Arte Venandi cum Avibus of Frederick II of Hohenstaufen (the Art of Falconry) was written in the 13th century (around 1250) and is considered still to be one of the finest works on the topic. It is quite complete.
    Last edited by Jaleela; 09-08-2011 at 12:28 PM. Reason: added Hurstwic; fixed end bracket in URL, added date of the art of falconry

Thread Information