Kalien
    Hi Everyone,

As part of the ongoing development of background material for a game, I have been looking a re-developing parts of Anuire and thought I would see if anyone else has also done this or has any ideas to share.

What I have looked at is the following:
    1. Making the Erebannien and the Spiderfell ancient forest.
    2. Raising maximum potential meibhiaghl in river and coastal provinces (e.g. a plains province that borders a major river might go from 3/2 to 3/3).
    3. Increasing population along major waterways such as the Maesil River (or at least raising all provinces along the major branch of the Maesil to level 3).
    4. Increasing population levels in the Heartlands to reflect over 1,000 years of settlement (this is being done by increasing province levels up to a minimum of 3 in most cases).

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Kalien@Jul 3 2003, 07:57 PM
    What I have looked at is the following:
    1. Making the Erebannien and the Spiderfell ancient forest.
    2. Raising maximum potential meibhiaghl in river and coastal provinces (e.g. a plains province that borders a major river might go from 3/2 to 3/3).
    3. Increasing population along major waterways such as the Maesil River (or at least raising all provinces along the major branch of the Maesil to level 3).
    4. Increasing population levels in the Heartlands to reflect over 1,000 years of settlement (this is being done by increasing province levels up to a minimum of 3 in most cases).

As part of working on the Atlas of Cerilia I've looked at some of these points. Nothing definite has been worked out for most, but here are some ideas.

1. The ancient forest tag only applies for forests that have been left completely untouched by the hand of man and only had elven occupants...
    The Erebannien does not apply for this as few, if any elves live there any more. It is still a grand forest, but some logging is taking place and humans are gradually encrouching on the forest, although the High Mage keeps a close eye on loggers and hunters and prevents overuse of the forest's resources. It is no longer an elven forest though and has lost much of its ancient splendor.
    The Spiderfell is going to be listed as a 2/7 province in the upcoming atlas. Again it has been reduced somewhat by the passage of years, but still has great magical potential.

2. This is a tricky one as a lot of provinces border on a major river or ocean. The new atlas will be keeping the original province levels (unless no level was specified like in the Sielwode), but there is no reason why you can't change them if you wish. Perhaps make the additional +2 bonus to magic in the nearby ocean or river, so it would require an additional water-based source to gain access to this mebhaighl. On the original BR.net there was some info about underwater sources and this was discussed on the mailing list years back.

3. This is an interesting one, as in the real world in some regions civilisation is definitely clustered along the banks of major rivers. However, if you look at the map, most of the provinces along the Maesil for example already have a level of at least 3 (and several are 5 or above). In the lower Maesil only the province of Maesford has a level below 3.

4. This is something that has been discussed by the Atlas team. But, rather than increasing the province levels, we are more likely to increase the population/level table. This is the easiest way to do that. I'm interested in everyone's thoughts on that. As it stands Anuire (leaving out the non-human realms) has a population of just over 1.5 million. Doubling this would give you 3 million, which is possibly still a little small.

Here is some of the working out for that. (These are my own tables, nothing linked to the Atlas yet, although they may be used).

• POPULATION CHART
      ......X1..............X2

• POPULATIONS (ANUIRE)
      ...................X1.................X2
      Roesone.......63,000........126,000
      Aerenwe.......57,150........114,300
      Diemed.........88,150........176,300
      Ilien..............49,000........98,000
      Medoere.......27,000........54,000
      Mieres..........55,150........110,300
      Boeruine......100,000.......200,000
      Talinie..........42,250.........84,500
      Brosengae...48,000.........96,000
      Taeghas.......66,150........132,300
      Avanil...........152,100......304,200
      Ghoere.........160,000......320,000
      Mhoried........96,100........192,200
      Tuornen........66,150........132,300
      Alamie..........53,750.........107,500
      Imperial City.125,000.......175,000
      Elinie.............57,150.........114,300
      Endier...........36,000.........72,000
      Dhoesone.....40,350.........80,700
      Cariele..........56,350.........112,700
      Coeranys......57,150.........114,300
      Osoerde.......50,000..........100,000

TOTAL:..........1,545,950.....3,091,900
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    ge -----

Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2003 7:23 AM

> 4. This is something that has been discussed by the Atlas team. But,

> rather than increasing the province levels, we are more likely to increase

> the population/level table.

The real problem I have with such low populations is the very existence of

guilds, let alone their importance visa vis temples and provinces. Raesene

calculated 1,545,950 as the population of Anuire, and given its size, I feel

much better with 15 million, still only 3/4`s of France (the similar size of

Anuire), but local conditions might well explain that. Imagining that a

vast unpopulated wasteland is producing enough of a surplus that they can do

all this trade, but all of this surplus has not realized population growth,

to say nothing of the maximums of population.

Kenneth Gauck

kgauck@mchsi.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    on the Atlas of Cerilia I&#39;ve looked at some of these points. Nothing definite has been worked out for most, but here are some ideas.

Cool. Thanks for the update.

>

> 1. The ancient forest tag only applies for forests that have been left completely untouched by the hand of man and only had elven occupants...

> The Erebannien does not apply for this as few, if any elves live there any more. It is still a grand forest, but some logging is taking place and humans are gradually encrouching on the forest, although the High Mage keeps a close eye on loggers and hunters and prevents overuse of the forest&#39;s resources. It is no longer an elven forest though and has lost much of its ancient splendor.

> The Spiderfell is going to be listed as a 2/7 province in the upcoming atlas. Again it has been reduced somewhat by the passage of years, but still has great magical potential.

Hmm. I guess this makes sense, but I just thought that the Erebannien was

meant to be the archetypical Ancient Forest. Which forests are Ancient?

Are you planning on defining some of the exact holdings/military/etc of

places like the Spiderfell or leave it relatively ambiguous like the

original works did?

> 2. This is a tricky one as a lot of provinces border on a major river or ocean. The new atlas will be keeping the original province levels (unless no level was specified like in the Sielwode), but there is no reason why you can&#39;t change them if you wish. Perhaps make the additional +2 bonus to magic in the nearby ocean or river, so it would require an additional water-based source to gain access to this mebhaighl. On the original BR.net there was some info about underwater sources and this was discussed on the mailing list years back.

Hmm. Interesting idea with the water-based sources. I`ll have to look into

this. Thanks for the tip.

-Lord Rahvin
    NOTE: Messages posted by Birthright-L are automatically inserted posts originating from the mailing list linked to the forum.

Thread Information