Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Kalien
    I was mucking around writing up a bit of stuff on arcane and divine magic for my (hopefully) future PBeM and thought of something I thought I'd toss out on the list in order to see what other people do. In a number of other PBeMs that I have played in, DMs have prohibited certain spells from the game - often such spells as Fly, Invisibility, and Raise Dead.

I was wondering what spells DMs out there prohibit from their games, whether table-top or PBeM. (Or spells that players have had prohibited from games they've played in).

So far the list I've just started includes:

Fly
    Improved Invisibility
    Raise Dead
    True Resurrection

Downloads
    Uploads
    Fly I limited to 1 round per level.

I removed all resurrection/raise spells but wish/miracle could still do it.

Harm/Heal allow saves.

Grease is removed.

Other than that, everything stands.

CM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    House rules concerning Spells are dangerous. Therefore I leave them how they are.

For Wizards the problem is easy to handle. Just don't give away spells you don't like (that's not a prohibition).

The 3.5 Edition will solve the broken "H*"-spells like Harm.

Invisibility and Fly are campaign-changing spells but should not be prohibited. They are essential.

As for the Resurrection spells they are not easy to handle in the Birthright setting. In my campaign there are just too few clerics who can cast such a spell.
    my purpose is now to lead you into the Pallace where you shall have a clear and delightful view of all those various objects, and scattered excellencies, that lye up and down upon the face of creation, which are only seen by those that go down into the Seas, and by no other....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Azrai@Jul 3 2003, 11:58 AM
    Invisibility and Fly are campaign-changing spells but should not be prohibited. They are essential.
    Those spells can save the whole group sometimes, naturally they CHANGE a campain, but I don't think, those spells unbalance it.

Fly only one round per level? I see such a change as a new 2nd level spell... :P

Resurrection? Well, there are not this much clerics, who can cast it. Cancelling those spells, but allowing a wish/ miracle is the same as allowing it only a bit later. This would only work with K.Gauck's idea of halving spellcasters in level. IMO both isn't the right way...
    May Khirdai always bless your sword and his lightning struck your enemies!

Downloads
    Uploads
    House rules concerning Spells are dangerous. Therefore I leave them how they are.

For Wizards the problem is easy to handle. Just don't give away spells you don't like (that's not a prohibition).
    Until they research it independently.

The 3.5 Edition will solve the broken "H*"-spells like Harm.
    Yes, it will. But it's not out yet.

I don't see why. Invisibility has all the problems that are mentioned in the BRCS, Improved Invisibility even more. Alternatives are available - Ghostform from T&B, camoflaging spells and so forth. Fly is very helpful but not necessary for it to be 10 min / level IMO - it makes a vast number of mundane travel methods redundant. I limited it to 1 round per level so it was still useful in combat and still allowed Wizards to make magic carpets and so on if they want magical travel (which I think will look a lot cooler).

CM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by CMonkey@Jul 3 2003, 12:34 PM
    Until they research it independently.
    Yes, if they want to be three levels behind the group, because THEY have to do nothing apart from researching and NO group will wait on his wizard, if the maiden must be rescued...

...it was still useful in combat and still allowed Wizards to make magic carpets and so on if they want magical travel (which I think will look a lot cooler).
    If they live in Khinasi, it will look cool, otherwise (in Rjurik or Vosgaard for example) it can be self-destroying...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, if they want to be three levels behind the group, because THEY have to do nothing apart from researching and NO group will wait on his wizard, if the maiden must be rescued...
    And there's the thing though - BR has domain turns and character actions, research is significantly more likely here than in Greyhawk.

If they live in Khinasi, it will look cool, otherwise (in Rjurik or Vosgaard for example) it can be self-destroying...
    That's what wings of flying would be for then - feathered for Rjurik and bat-like for the vos. :P

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by CMonkey@Jul 3 2003, 12:55 PM
    And there's the thing though - BR has domain turns and character actions, research is significantly more likely here than in Greyhawk.
    O.K., if your wizard is actually a regent AND you use those turns... (Not every campaign does that)

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Raise dead and resurrection are worthless for regents as once a regent dies he loses his bloodline and if raised for the dead returns as a commoner, as his bloodline has passed either to his heir, the land, or his slayer.

Fly and invisibility, while useful spells are not overpowering if the DM counters for such spells. You may as well ban all magic as most spells, if used in right way can be very powerful.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Raesene Andu@Jul 3 2003, 01:51 PM
    Raise dead and resurrection are worthless for regents as once a regent dies he loses his bloodline and if raised for the dead returns as a commoner, as his bloodline has passed either to his heir, the land, or his slayer.
    That's right. As I remember, you must gain a "restore bloodline" after the resurrection or a wish/ miracle to be, what you was.

By the way, I can't remember (so remind me ): Is there a 3rd Edition version of "restore bloodline"?

Thread Information