Thread: 3E Spider

Downloads
    Uploads
    My "south-coast" group seems to have taken umbrage with the spider of late (he may have done the teensiest bit of invading). Now I didn't expect them to try it (i've been laying the legends on a bit thick) but I think they might be planning to go for him/it.

So, has anyone generated the official 3rd edition version of the Spider yet? He's not in the playtest...

CM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by CMonkey

My "south-coast" group seems to have taken umbrage with the spider of late (he may have done the teensiest bit of invading). Now I didn't expect them to try it (i've been laying the legends on a bit thick) but I think they might be planning to go for him/it.

So, has anyone generated the official 3rd edition version of the Spider yet? He's not in the playtest...

CM.
    Nothing that has been generated yet is "official". It is presumptuous to state that the playtest document is the "official" document. The goal is to develop a document that can be "sanctioned" by the boards/mailing list and hence become the "official" Birthright 3rd ed (or d20) document - but that hasn't happend yet. :)
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, irdeggman wrote:

> Nothing that has been generated yet is "official". It is presumptuous
    > to state that the playtest document is the "official" document.

*chuckle* I think it`s even more presumptuous to state that anything
    written by this group will ever be really "official". Partly that`s
    because all use of that term in this context has always bothered me, and
    partly that`s because I don`t think we`ll ever reach meaningful agreement
    on *anything*.

It occurs to me that I`ve already got what I wanted all along, in fact
    long before anyone else gets the end product they wanted, without it ever
    being considered an "official" possiblity. What I long ago said I wanted
    was a compendium of all possible ways to convert BR to 3e, with
    annotations of the strengths and weaknesses and interactions of each.
    That is precisely the logs of this discussion, and watching and
    participating in this discussion has been a much better aid to me in
    actually doing a 3e conversion myself than any single "final draft"
    document could ever be. The only thing I really feel is missing here is
    that we don`t have enough different house rules, or enough detail about
    some of those which have been alluded to.

Oh, and discussion of something other than mechanics. For the love of
    God, could we please someday talk about something other than mechanics?

Ryan Caveney

************************************************** **************************
    The Birthright Homepage: http://www.birthright.net
    Birthright-l Archives: http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/birthright-l.html
    To unsubscribe, send email to LISTSERV@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM
    with UNSUB BIRTHRIGHT-L in the body of the message.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by ryancaveney
    Oh, and discussion of something other than mechanics. For the love of
    God, could we please someday talk about something other than mechanics?
    No. No we can't.

Everything about D&D makes it easy to modify: you just say its different and thus, in your campaign, it is. This invites constant criticism and revision, method and counter-method, because, contrary to everywhere else, the grass is always greener in my garden.

All I want out of 3rd edition Birthright is a clearly written set of rules, and as I long ago said, he who does the work makes the choice. Unfortunately, because of the constant debate over certain things (I'm not even going to name them in case I summon the debate, Candyman-like to this thread too) you will never get a catalogue of house rules because that is what everyone is pushing to become canon.

So, back to the point of the thread, is there any unofficial 3rd edition Spider that was intended for the Atlas or even for someones own game that I can use?

Maybe I should just post the stats for an Aranea and wait for the better versions to roll in.

CM

PS.

My apologies to irdeggman and the rest of the Birthright D20 Teams if anything I said offends, it was not directed at you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by CMonkey

PS.

My apologies to irdeggman and the rest of the Birthright D20 Teams if anything I said offends, it was not directed at you.
    None taken, but thanks for being sensitive enough to think thay you may have been offensive.

I wasn't trying to be pointed about your original question, I just felt (after the criticism the development team has gotten for "attempting to shove something down everyone's throat") that it was important to again clarify that everything is a proposal so far.

I believe taht Jan (Mark_Aurel) had done some rough work up of the spider a while ago, but I'll leave it to hem to post it for you.:)
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ian Hoskins "Raesen Andu" had several awnsheghlin that he started to convert to 3E prior to the release of the rules. However, the last known link to his site that I have is broken. Does anyone know if he's moved?
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I never did a 3E version of the Spider though, the only ones I did were Banshegh, Basalisk, the Boar, and the Gorgon. All should also be available on birthright.net, try going to http://www.birthright.net/article.php?sect...tion=2nd&aid=44
    I think you will find them there, if not let me know and I'll post them somewhere.

I am sort of working on a 3E version of the Spider to be included in the Atlas. If I complete that any time soon, then I'll post it here.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Thread Information