Yes thats right.. this is my first post in the forums.. my friends and I recently started a 3rd edition BIRTHRIGHT campaign after everyone downladed all the new rules.. we're very happy with the conversion except for a few minor typos and an odd reference to "elite" units even though apparently they do not exist. Also, why can archer units only fire at a unit directly beside them? whats the good of having longrange? is there no such thing as an anuirean longbowman? there should be a special training for "range increase". Its silly that you cant place a rank of your infantry in front of your archers for shielding to allow the archers to fire over the foot's heads.

Anyways, in this new campaign, my regent character **anuirean** has a somewhat tricky situation to deal with. One of his lieutenants sent a missive to Rhoubhe Manslayer, sending greetings and asking to open contact between our two realms. Rhoubhe replied, saying he was pleased and that I should come visit him. I was like--no way, but was courteous and invited him to my own court.

well--he came. everyone was scared silly, so i spent about 5 GB on a lavish dinner/feast to welcome him, and tried to diplomacy with him. Luckly i rolled a 20, and ended up with a check of 74 or some such. so he didnt kill me right there.

However, he did give me an ultimatum. after discussing current events in my realm--which includes a tricky situation with a neighbor..some of my men were establishing a Law 0 holding in a neighboring realm, well, the mercanaries employed by that realm's ruler killed some of my men, destroying the holding. I demaded justice, but the ruler was powerless to stop them without causing civil war. Rhoubhe demanded I either bring him the head of the mercenary who killed my men--tricky--, or i invade Ghoere, or i defy him. And there is only one right choice, he was sure to let me know..if i chose wrong, he would take my head.

Well, this news spread like fire throughout the land, that the Manslayer was active after several years.. i do not want war..but i can afford a large and capable army..my plans as the moment are, to diplomacy with my neighboring regents, secretly assemble forces, and then when the time comes, to invade Rhoubhe himself..in other words, to choose Defiance. It will be a "no elf can command the Duke" thing, an insult to my king, and my people..hopefully this will foster a great Crusade against the manslayer..ive already gotten 4 PC realms to sign on for this crusade, and im certain 3 other NPC realms will send troops as well.

I can aford to maintain a 20-30 unit army when at war, and my archpriest PC friend plans to raise a horde of undead (10-12 units) ("even our ancestors rise to defend our land") thing.. with around 15-20 units coming in from allies, this is quite a large force ,to be certain..

All of the PCs are 15-18th level..not enough to take on the manslayer seriously..but, if i take his province, do you think he would negotiate?