I have a D&D-compatable e-book that I'm wanting to publish, titled Ages of Arms & Armor. It is a comprehensive, play-tested, and balanced set of alternative combat rules for use with 3rd Edition D&D. (I will update it for 3.5, once those rulebooks come out.)

Damage reduction for armor is at the core of these rules. I've seen many posts on other message boards requesting and discussing this, but no one has yet come up with a comprehensive, as well as a thoroughly play-tested and balanced, set of rules incorporating armor DR into 3E D&D.

Ages of Arms & Armor is designed primarily for low- to mid-level (1st to 10th level) campaigns that have a more realistic and historical feel to them, while still keeping the heroic fantasy aspects of D&D. The Birthright and the Kingdom of Kalamar campaign settings are ideal for this. The various "mythical-historical" sourcebooks from Avalanche press are also fitting.

(Myself, I think the Birthright campaign setting is fantastic! I have just about every Birthright publication ever produced by TSR. I believe Ages of Arms & Armor is a great way to enhance a Birthright campaign.)

Ages of Arms & Armor is similar in purpose to Ken Hood's "Grim-n-Gritty" rules, only the former is neither as grim nor as gritty as the latter, and the former is much broader in scope. Ages of Arms & Armor is comprehensive, and it's all thoroughly play-tested and balanced. Above all, these rules are highly playable, and they maintain the abstract and heroic features of D&D combat. (This is NOT an attempt to make 3rd Edition D&D combat more like that in GURPS or RoleMaster or Harn.)

Although these rules have been thoroughly play-tested and balanced, I'm looking for further play-testers, those outside my gaming circle. (I'm especially interested in getting other DMs involved in this.) Also, I'm looking for someone to illustrate the e-book. (Mostly what I'm looking for are a few pieces depicting various fantasy-Medieval-Renaissance weapons and armor, and combatant using those weapons and armor against each other.)

If you're interested in getting involved in this project, either as a play-tester or an illustrator, e-mail me. I'll send you a preview copy of Ages of Arms & Armor.

azlan@attbi.com