Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've just uploaded the new Adurian webpage to http://users.chariot.net.au/~hoss/

At the moment only a rough version of the map is available, but plan to convert over and add a considerable amount of information over the coming months and weeks. First up is info on two of the PC races (Humans & Gnolls), and after that I will be adding information (including realms, etc) on the Sere Coast, the part of Aduria that lies directly west of Mieres.

Also among the first additions to the site will be information on The Shadow Swords, five powerful weapons created to fight Azrai and his legions, but never used. One is Shadowstrike, and this sword currently lies in a vault in Hogunmark's capital, the other weapons are Spiritcleaver, Shadowshield, Bonebreaker, and Azrai's Bane.

Now a little information on what you can expect.

This campaign setting is designed for use with the d20 Birthright Rulebook, although there will be some changes and updates to reflect the different setting (especially in the magic, character, and relgion chapters). In these cases, alternative rules will be given.

There are no elves, dwarves, halfling, gnomes, goblins, half-orcs, etc in the ACS. Instead I have gone for a completely different and unique setting, trying to get as far away as possible from the stand D&D races for the most part. PC races include Asla, Gnolls, Humans, Quala, and Ssarak. Other major races include the Beast-men and Wermics, although it is possible both these will also become PC races.

The Anuireans are the only human race from Cerilia to be found in Aduria. As many as ten other human tribes will be featured.

Monks will be a standard class in Aduria, although generally only common in the southern empires. A new arcane spellcasting class called the Shadow Mage will replace the wizard everywhere but in the far north (The Anuirean Colonies). Many new spells, realm spells, etc will be create specifically for this class. The Shadow Mage is a darker, tained version of the wizard, corrupted by the influence of Azrai. More powerful than the standard wizard, but at the same time cursed due to is closeness to the Shadow World.

Four new gods worshipped only in Aduria will be featured (one for the Asla and Wermic, one for the Quala and Ssarak, and another two for one of the human tribes). These have already been mentioned on this forum.

If you have any questions, please post them on this forum.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Senior Member marcum uth mather's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    will the new wizard be like the shadow mage from FR?

Downloads
    Uploads
    >
    > If you have any questions, please post them on this forum.
    >

One question and two suggestions:

Q1) Some names are clearly Slavic. Do you speak a Slavic language or is it accidental? It would be a miracle if it is just an accident.

S1) Why navigation only on home page? It is a little annoying to have to go back when you want to see something else.

S2) It`s good idea to use UTF-8 encoding so that all people can correctly see those Slavic, Scandinavian and Arabic characters.

************************************************** **************************
    The Birthright Homepage: http://www.birthright.net
    Birthright-l Archives: http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/birthright-l.html
    To unsubscribe, send email to LISTSERV@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM
    with UNSUB BIRTHRIGHT-L in the body of the message.

Downloads
    Uploads

will the new wizard be like the shadow mage from FR?
    Yes... but also no.

The Shadow Mage is a similar sort of class, but at the same time very different. The Shadow Adept presented in the FRCS has very minor effects for dabling in the shadow, the Shadow Mage will undergo considerable changes as he increases in power and skill, the shadow corrupting his very being to the point where he can be considered undead.

I'm still working on the final rules for this corruption effect, but basically as the SM increases in power he gains power in the SW, while losing strength in the real world, eventually being unable to exist in the real world during the daylight hours. I plan to get these rules out soon, as I want some good discussion on them before I finalise them, so look for them coming soon. The spell list will take a little longer, as the majority of the SM's spells are new, and he only draws on a very limited number of common spells.

In fact, the SM probably isn't a good choice if you want to play a good oriented campaign, as he will eventually become a powerful undead creature (effectivly a minor form of lich). But he is a good choice for players who want power and are willing to sacrifice their souls to get that power.

First NPC shadow mage I'll feature will be the Eyeless King, ruler of Oeried, an empire a little over a thousand miles from Anuire.

One question and two suggestions:

Q1) Some names are clearly Slavic. Do you speak a Slavic language or is it accidental? It would be a miracle if it is just an accident.
    Probably accidental, I only speak English and a little Maori.
    I do use various online translators to create authentic sounding names though. For example, for the Shadow Swords, I used a english-persian translator and then modified the resulting names to come up with something unique, but still authentic sounding.

Which names in particular are Slavic sounding?

S1) Why navigation only on home page? It is a little annoying to have to go back when you want to see something else.

S2) It`s good idea to use UTF-8 encoding so that all people can correctly see those Slavic, Scandinavian and Arabic characters.
    The navigation is only on the home page at the moment because I haven't finished setting up the site, and have only really done the main page, and are still working on the setup. I will be creating index pages for each section of the site though, so you can use them to navigate rather than the index on the main page, I just liked the idea of one complete index of every file on the front page, and that little frame seemed the best way to do it.

As for the UTF-8 encoding, I'm not certain how to do that. The names look fine on my computer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    >
    > Q1) Some names are clearly Slavic. Do you speak a Slavic language or is it
    > accidental? It would be a miracle if it is just an accident.
    > [/quote]
    >
    > Probably accidental, I only speak English and a little Maori.
    > I do use various online translators to create authentic sounding names
    > though. For example, for the Shadow Swords, I used a english-persian
    > translator and then modified the resulting names to come up with something
    > unique, but still authentic sounding.
    >
    > Which names in particular are Slavic sounding?

Namely, it is Doshmanazari. Serbian "dushman" could be translated as "bane" but only when applied to person. "azari" is, of course, similar to "Azrai".

>
    >

> S1) Why navigation only on home page? It is a little annoying to have to
    > go back when you want to see something else.
    >
    > S2) It`s good idea to use UTF-8 encoding so that all people can correctly
    > see those Slavic, Scandinavian and Arabic characters.
    >
    >
    > The navigation is only on the home page at the moment because I haven`t
    > finished setting up the site, and have only really done the main page, and
    > are still working on the setup. I will be creating index pages for each
    > section of the site though, so you can use them to navigate rather than
    > the index on the main page, I just liked the idea of one complete index of
    > every file on the front page, and that little frame seemed the best way to
    > do it.
    >
    > As for the UTF-8 encoding, I`m not certain how to do that. The names look
    > fine on my computer.
    >

They look fine on your computer, and mine too, but someone who doesn`t have western windows charset installed would see those characters as squares, circles and who knows what else.

To switch to UTF-8 which displays correctly on all computers, open the page in MS Front Page which you use to create the pages. Right click the page and open page properties. Go to language tab and under "Save the document as:" choose UTF-8. Now save the page. You will notice no change except a slight increase in size(about 100 bytes...this is because UTF-8 uses 2 bytes for those special characters), but people without western charset will appreciate it.

************************************************** **************************
    The Birthright Homepage: http://www.birthright.net
    Birthright-l Archives: http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/birthright-l.html
    To unsubscribe, send email to LISTSERV@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM
    with UNSUB BIRTHRIGHT-L in the body of the message.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've changed the encoding of the page, and it will be fixed with the next update (should be info on the gnoll character race, coming soon).

Thread Information