Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    to finish, the method above is a way to make bloodline strength be important, without crippling weaker bloodlines and without making them automatically as powerful as stronger ones.

You could limit this at double the bloodline score in regency or domain power that is affected by this scale. In any case, its easier for weaker bloodlines to be exceeded and harder for stronger bloodlines to get extra regency.
    Explain how this is a signature, its not my handwriting.

The hardest part was teaching the bunnies to hug. -Duke Phillips

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Perhelion

Indeed you are. That is a problem when you compete in a world where there is a divine right to rule. Still, with careful nurture of your bloodline, your three provinces may grow over the generations. Rome was not built in a day!
    If your DM expects you to take over Cerilia, he should give you the means to do so.
    So you are saying if you want a regent who has any power your DM should cheat for you. SO basically... enforce the rules when they fit, and break them when its to your benefit...
    That makes a lot of sense.
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think Perhelion meant to wave the Bloodstrenth-Domain Power rule by that(I am looking at what I think you mean Perhelion),but instead of taking a rule and throwing it out the window,maybe the weak regent has something,info,an important ally,etc,in which to at least give him a fighting chance.

The problem with the rule as I see it Lawgiver is balance.If you ditch that rule to benefit a regent in your game,you have to do it for all.So now(if they couldn't already),Avan and Boeruine can take FULL adavntage of the strength they have at their disposal(or some other regent-antagonist of your choice).As can all other regents,which I think would totally screw the whole system.
    "Victory has a thousand fathers,defeat is an orphan."

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, as you may have guessed, I voted to enforce the rule. In my experiences PCs generally end up with vast numbers of RPs and GBs anyway, why allow them any benifit to begin with by collecting as many RPs as their domain score. Anyway, as others have pointed out, if you want a higher bloodline you spend your RPs to raise your bloodline, or get out there and do something heroic that raises your bloodline. Allowing a regent to just collect as many RPs as he can, regardless of his bloodline effectivly makes the bloodline score meaningless, only useful for determining how many blood abilities a regent has. It means that someone with a tainted bloodline can collect as many RPs as Darien Avan, or one of the other regents with Great bloodlines!

That said, if you want to chance the rules, go for it. However, I will be strictly enforcing that particular rule in my games.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lawgiver:
    I am saying that if the campaign plans of the DM include the players standing a chance to take over Cerilia, then he should give you ways to increase your bloodline (bloodstones, bloodtheft, divine gifts etc.)
    If he plans a campaign where every regent should try to do the best for him/herself, then each regent should carefully consider his assets and choose a policy in accordance with them. There ae more than a hundred other DM controlled regents with much the same objectives out there. You''l need to prove you are worth a bigger crown if you want it.
    Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said: `one CAN'T believe impossible things.'
    `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast'

-- "Through the Looking Glass", Lewis Caroll

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally Posted by Lawgiver

-----------------------------
    So you are saying if you want a regent who has any power your DM should cheat for you. SO basically... enforce the rules when they fit, and break them when its to your benefit...
    That makes a lot of sense.

-----------------------------

That is quite an odd stance for the originator of this post to take when the subject is in itself breaking the original rules for the benefit of the PC. Just a side note that I found odd, no hard feelings.
    One law, One court, One allied people, One coin, and one tax, is what I shall bring to Cerilia.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Magian
    That is quite an odd stance for the originator of this post to take when the subject is in itself breaking the original rules for the benefit of the PC. Just a side note that I found odd, no hard feelings.
    Touche~
    I was wondering who would note that irony. Though there is a subtle difference. I wantto change the rule and enforce it while Perhelion merely waved the rule regarding the rolled bloodline. I confess to fudging at times myself. I'm sure if we were all honest we would all be guilty to some extent.

Raesene Andu: I have rarely had a problem with PCs stockpiling RP and GBs. I don't let them ;). There is always plenty of action and radom events, contests, intrigues, etc. that suck the PCs resources before they get to high. I'm not spiteful about it I just make a little more of a challenge then simply collect stuff, roll improve, collect stuff, adventure, improve, collect stuff, roll, rool, etc. (I'm not being critical of anyone here... I've just been a part of such campaigns... which ... well to be blunt--suck!)

Anyway to each his own. I just wanted to get some other's opinions and see if I was alone (which I seem to be :P)
    Lawgiver

Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm all in favor of enforcing the rule on regency. That being said, I'm generally lenient on my players when they roll a bloodline, since we like to play heroic characters, not some random bunch of blooded morrons =P Which means that someone who rolls a tainted bloodline probably will get to reroll once, or even twice, so he gets at least a minor bloodline.

If you DO end up being stuck with a bloodline of 8 however, trust me, DON'T be a ruler. Landed regents with 8 points in bloodline will have little or no way to keep their domain since random events, opponents and domain actions will suck all the RPs they can get their hand on. If you get a bloodline of 8, I recommend playing guilds, which are generally less plagued by the random events and war actions, and if they can get the support of a landed regent(usually by some well-placed bribe), they can take their time to slowly increase their bloodline since actions like creating a trade route don't take this many RPs(And if you are less scrupulous than some, feel free to kidnap and disinvest/bloodtheft some of your rivals). Of course, they'll never be as powerful as quickly as any guilder with a big bloodline, but such is life.
    Respectfully submitted,

Temujin,
    Would-be ruler of you all. =)

Downloads
    Uploads
    As an extreme:
    So then a 13th level character with straight 18s for ability scores, high popularity through the realm for heroism, a deep knowledge of administration, law, diplomacy and etiquette, etc. are all in vain if you have an 8 bloodline when you are up against a regent with all 9s for abilitiy scores, who is despised by everyone, who has the first clue how to tie his boots much less rules a country...Isn't that what the rule of regency proposes?
    Lawgiver

Downloads
    Uploads
    True, but if you are such a god-gifted regent with a lowly ancestry, defy your inapt but well born rival into something you can beat him at! (A tournament comes to mind). Impress him! Make him fearful and cower behind his armies! Be heroic for adventure's sake! Don't just rely on mere numbers to define your actions!
    If you only play to use the rules of regency, might as well play a board game no?
    Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said: `one CAN'T believe impossible things.'
    `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast'

-- "Through the Looking Glass", Lewis Caroll

Thread Information