Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you enforce the rule that limits a regent's collection of regency to their bloodline score? Meaning a regent with a Domain Power of 56 and a blood score of 27 would only collect 27 regency per daomin turn.

It has been my experience that a regent (of a realm, not a organization) rarely has a bloodline score to match their domain power. I have only had one player with a Bloodline strength greater than their Domain Power... the ruler of Ilien. I have waved this rule basing regency solely on Domain Power. I am I alone in this?
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think I will wait for another boat to come along.
    One law, One court, One allied people, One coin, and one tax, is what I shall bring to Cerilia.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It needs to be enforced. A Regent with a larger bloodline should have more power. Players with smaller bloodlines have a disadvantage, but it is easly turned around with vassalage and paying the needed RPs for an increase.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I voted for enforcing:
    I'd say this rule is one major reason Anuire is still so divided... without it the Empire would surely have been restored by force of arms by now. Don't bite bigger than you can chew!
    The only way to restore an empire would be through trust and vassalage, which sounds reasonable.
    Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said: `one CAN'T believe impossible things.'
    `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast'

-- "Through the Looking Glass", Lewis Caroll

Downloads
    Uploads
    If your PC happens to roll patheticallly on the Bloodline table (Tainted = 4d4) and gets an 8 and your DM doesn't adjust it. How in the world could you possibly rule a realm with more than 3 provinces? Much less have the influence to enforce vassalage on someone? Even with all the gold and military might in the world you are striving in vain without regency.
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Indeed you are. That is a problem when you compete in a world where there is a divine right to rule. Still, with careful nurture of your bloodline, your three provinces may grow over the generations. Rome was not built in a day!
    If your DM expects you to take over Cerilia, he should give you the means to do so.
    Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said: `one CAN'T believe impossible things.'
    `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast'

-- "Through the Looking Glass", Lewis Caroll

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here here Perhelion!!!!!:)

I agree fully Perhelion.
    "Victory has a thousand fathers,defeat is an orphan."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, that is a problem with Birthright, the players think they must conquer everything, especialy in PBEMs. Rather then settle on winning a few provinces in a war and make peace, they try and take one massive army and go for the juggular. That is fine but usually makes for one or two states even making a second or third turn because only one or two states can do that tactic in Birthright and survive.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In regards to the example of rome one must also consider that Rome won by the sword. In pbems that I have played in it tends to be politically incorrect to use such tactics, however Roele himself forged his empire this way, of course parrallel to the romans many allies came to his side in the face of his might without the sword. Look at Gavin Tael, his power is overwhelming yet he is held back because he overstepped his bloodline in domain power. He must be careful in the enemies he makes for certainly a small alliance can and will deal him a massive blow. In other words money isn't everything.

If you are a player with 8 bld str and only control 3 provinces, well I say that is your problem. The game of kings is a cutthroat game and if you cannot succeed in your plots you will perish or succumb to another's might.

It is similar to me trying to start up a software company to rival microsoft. Sure I might succeed but it wont be overnight or even easy. Besides if you only considered the domain power of the game the bloodline essentially is negated and the Gorgon could have taken cerilia centuries ago.
    One law, One court, One allied people, One coin, and one tax, is what I shall bring to Cerilia.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I voted that I waive the rule. However, Magians arguments make a lot of sense. However, I still think that if your domain power is higher than your bloodline strength, you should be able to tap the might of at least some of that power.

Perhaps for every one-eighth (or so) of your bloodline strength that your domain power exceeds your bloodline, you get one extra regency up to twice your bloodline score. That way, the bs8 regent would be able to get 16 regency if his domain power were 16, but more would require him to increase his bloodline strength. In further example, a bs40 regent would be able to get one more regency for each 5 points of domain strength over 40, maxing out at 48 regency from 80 domain strength.

A different fraction would probably be more balanced, but that is the idea. I'm not 100% if I would allow the extra regency ever, though, because I've been somewhat persuaded by the other arguments.
    Explain how this is a signature, its not my handwriting.

The hardest part was teaching the bunnies to hug. -Duke Phillips

Thread Information