Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What sort of Prestige Classes would you like to see?

As far as I know, there are two types. The Class Modification prestige class --- these prestige classes often suck.

And the Organization prestige class --- These kind are to the spirit of the way Monte Cook envisioned them.

Example in BR setting of both . . .

Shadow Adept (CMprC) --- A sorcerer or magician who discovered how to use the energy of the Shadow World to power his or her spells.

Knights of Haelyn (OprC) --- A group of knights who are trying to restore the Imperial Throne of Anuire.

This is another open forum meant to start discussion.
    ;)
    Respectfully Yours,
    Elton Robb
    Regent of Medoere

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just looking through my books, it appears on the surface that BR would lend itself extremly well for a large number of Prestige Classes.

It may not be worth the effort, since many would go unused, and I haven't fully thought through the possibilities, but theoretically, almost every land could have at least one Prestige Class specific to it. Guardian of Mhoried, Iron Guard, Knight of Haelyn, Imperial Something or other, etc, etc.

Racial Prestige classes...Knight of the Ghellie Sidhe, Dwarven Protector (BR version), and so forth.

Class specific prestige classes, and on and on and on.

I would really enjoy the opportunity to work on this part of the conversion. Sned me word should my services be required.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Add to that the Knights of the Silver Crescent
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think we are going to do a few prestige classes in the Main Book first, then introduce new ones in various "Player's Guides/Player's Secrets" to Domains.

For instance, I am going to do the Sisters of the Veil and the Knights of the Silver Crescent for the main book, but for the
    Player's Guide to Rhannouch, I might do a prestige class or two on the Elvish Knights of Rhannoch and develop the Temple of Leira there.

I'll do the same thing for the Player's Guide to Dhoesone. Introduce new prestige classes for that particular realm.
    Regent of Medoere

Downloads
    Uploads
    Elton, I get excited everytime I read one of your posts. It was a sin for Birthright to be put on the back burner in the first place. Keep plugging away!
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Merchant Navigator
    An idea I've been mulling over for a new prestige class is one called a Merchant Navigator. Instead of being primarily a landed guilder, this version of the guilder seeks to make his fortunes at sea trade. I'm still working on the details, but the class would still be based on a standard thief/guilder. The regent would still rule guilds, but they would be largely in coastal areas (duh!). In addition to the maintenance of guilds, maintenance costs for ships would also be incurred. It would involve expanding the rules for trade routes and seaports.

Imperial/Royal Herald
    Kevin Moss created a Bard Character Kit called Imperial Heralds that was listed on the old site. I’d like to see a version of that carried over to 3e. Perhaps a version of a herald that could be used for any key realm, rather than just the Imperial City.
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Special Guest (Donor) morgramen's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hehehe... Wowza!! It's amazing what you find when you actually "look" around. There's a whack of additional forums here!!! :P

I think there is a need for both of these sorts of prestie classes personally. I prefer the "Organization Classes" myself, but the "Class Modification" ones would do well to explain away some of the more... contraversial subjects that make Birthright so great IMO.

THings like elven druids, brecht guilders, shadow walkers, and the like that don't quite fit into a nice cubbie hole of the standard rule set might be well served by such Prestige Classes perhaps. (Certainly some of these would be better done in other ways, but Prestige Classes can take a large bite out of this list I think.)

Edit:: HEY!!! Look!! It's my 100th post!! :)
    "You need people of intelligence on this mission... quest... thing."

Downloads
    Uploads
    How about more classes that are concerned with matters of blood? Bloodhunters, bloodwizards (bloodtheft through spells?), bloodsages (love that bloodhistory power).

Post #50!
    Explain how this is a signature, its not my handwriting.

The hardest part was teaching the bunnies to hug. -Duke Phillips

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some important thoughts ...

... before one can consider prestige classes (either old or new) to add to the 3ed BR campaign, you must first know which conversion version is being utilized. Each one grants a different feel to the overall campaign design and subtlety shifts the balance of power between the blooded scions and the commoners. Prestige classes create an additional layer of complexity which can shatter the fragile balance and render the atmosphere of the campaign into meaningless shreds. After all, whom would want to be a simple farmer if they can be the imperial herald wielding ungodly powers with little to no effort?

In part that is what makes the BR setting attractive -- being able to portray the regents of the realm and determining the course of history on a global level. However, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely ... in our efforts to design prestige classes for the BR setting, we should ensure that they remain balanced; granting new or special abilities above and beyond those of the blood should be carefully regulated not to tip the scales of power into the region of instability.

As for specific prestige classes (regardless of which conversion system being used), I would enjoy seeing specific ones designed for the commoners of the realm -- something that encourages players to remain unblooded but not necessarily limiting them should they be so blessed in the future.

Aside: Be it a character template, a new attribute, or a prestige class -- none of the conversion rules for the blooded which I have read to date deals adequately with the ramifications of loosing that special status. While there are elements from each which have potential, I have yet to find one that encompasses everything which I believe is essential for a BR campaign -- until I do (or create one myself), I cannot even consider the creation of special prestige classes.
    Random thoughts from the mind behind Kerio d'Aerious

Downloads
    Uploads
    Perhaps a nice idea would be a small class redesign, i.e. the guilder could be a separate class, not one with prequisites.
    Also, the way prestige classes are designed (with 5-6 levels at least as a requirement) they could imbalance the BR world if improperly used and ruin the low-level feel of the world. Shadow Adepts, Knights of Haely etc. could certainly exist, but should be very limited in number and difficult to find. It would also be nice if the PC didn't know beforehand the requirements and the abilities for those classes; I would hate see a PC leaving a feat slot open so that he could take the [Shadow Magic feat] at (i.e.) 6th level, so he can become a Shadow adept. I would prefer presenting an unblooded individual (with the PCs knowing he is unblooded) casting powerful but slightly -and strangely- modified spells and make them wonder (evil laughter is heard!!!).

Thread Information