Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is the creation system for my home game - I have not gotten to the elves/dwarves/Hobits yet, but I thought I would see what others thougt.

Races:
    The predominate area of game play is a region of Cerillia called Anuire.

Most of the citizens of Anuire descend from a tribe of humans called the Andu. Time has blended this warrior race with the other tribes and the few remaining colonies of the elvish people. Once the Andu had distinct racial features but that has diminished over the last several centuries. Like their features, the Andu have changed over time, until now even the name of the people no longer remains the same. They call themselves Anuirean for the region of the continent that they inhabit.

Anuire is comprised of many regions separated by geography and history. Though all call themselves Anuirean, there are distinct differences in the people, differences that are common enough to become traits for most of the people who originate or spend a great amount of time in a specific region.

Humans no longer have the same characteristics as designated in the 3E PHB. They do not receive a bonus skill point at each level and they do not get a free feat, instead each character has a specific background that qualifies them for selected feats and skills that are associated with their homeland. All characters receive a starting background feat that must come from the list of Regional Feats. All characters receive 4 bonus skill points at first level, they must spend these 4 Skill points on the skills that are designated as background skills. These skill points may be spent on one skill, or they may be divided amongst all 4-background skills. The Background skill points do not count toward the normal character maximum. If a characters initial class provides redundant class skills, they receive a +1 to the skill.

Background Feats:
    Each character has access to the feats that are common to their region. Players may choose as many of these feats as they desire if they have the slots available and that those slots are not pre-designated by class stipulations (i.e. you cannot spend fighter feats on a background feat, unless it is also on the fighter list.). Some of these feats are only available to first level characters.

Players can learn feats from regions other than their own if they possess the a Knowledge skill of the local area.

Background Skills:
    These are the skills that are common to the inhabitants of the region. These skills are considered class skills for all characters from the region, irrespective of their class list. If a character has a starting class that has one of these skills listed as a class skill then they receive a +1 to that score.

Eastern March
    The Eastern March is the crossroads of Anuire, containing the only land routes into Khinasi and Brechtur. The people here are accustomed to dealing with strangers and tend to be more diplomatic than other regions of Anuire. However, their lands are sparsely populated and the people are individualists. Additionally, The East has long produced fine artisans and men skilled in husbandry.

Feats:
    Horseman
    Land Runner
    Low Key
    Master Craftsman

Skills:
    Craft
    Listen
    Ride
    Spot

Heartlands
    The Heartlands have been the center of power in Anuire for longer than any can remember. In these lands, dull years are to be treasured as a break from the coup attempts, takeovers, invasions and intrigues. The men and women are hard working but suspicious of things that appear too good. The constant political turmoil leads a man to keep his own confidence and care for his own, family and tradition remain one of the few strong points.

Feats:
    Cosmopolitan
    Glib Tongue
    Merchant
    Street Talk

Skills:
    Bluff
    Gather Information
    Knowledge: Any One
    Profession: Any One

Northern March
    The Northern March is a land besieged with enemies. Even within their own lands humans are accustomed to seeing goblins, elves, or worse walking among the civilized folk. But, these lands are the gateway to the northern lands of the Rjuvik and many trade goods pass through on their trip. It is through these same passes that an attack on Anuire could occur. The people are skilled with ax, bow, and spear. The constant danger has bred a people who do not rely on others for defense but instead trust in their own skill at arms.

Feats:
    Blooded
    Hatred
    Martial Weapons
    Merchant
    Track

Skills:
    Handle Animal
    Heal
    Intuit Direction
    Wilderness Lore

Southern Coast
    The southern tip of Anuire has been inhabited for as long as men have lived here. This is the cradle of civilization. Its bones are ancient but the region still supports some of the most powerful kingdoms in all of Cerrila. Old fortress’s dot the mountainous landscape and defying age much like the rugged men and women who live here.

Feats:
    Alertness
    Cosmopolitan
    Pig Headed
    Stout Heart

Skills:
    Profession (Any one)
    Craft (Any one)
    Ride
    Sense Motive

West Coast
    The winds and storms batter the lands and the people reminding them of their duty to stand fast against nature lest they be taken. Thinly populated, the rugged men and women of the Westcoast are self-reliant. They rarely ask another for aid, instead they take from the land what they need to survive and prosper.

Feats:
    Blooded
    Intimidating
    Martial Weapons
    Pig Headed
    Survivor

Skills:
    Craft (Any One)
    Heal
    Spot
    Wilderness Lore

Some may complain about the loss of a skill point each level - In general I add 2 skill points to each class. BR is far more skills intensive than other settings.

Eosin

Downloads
    Uploads
    Generally, I am not in favor of modifying the PHB. In the officia; version, the races should be left as much as they were in the PHB. Regional feats are a good idea, forcing the player to choose them limits character options, which I find is simply less fun for the players. At the very least, allow a much larger list, including many PHB feats that characters from the core classes are likely to pick anyways. As for nerfing the added skill points at each new level, why? It just weakens the humans, and I don't see why you would want to do that. I again believe that limiting the player's options with the four "gift" skill points he gets in first level needlessly hampers character concepts.
    As for giving all classes extra skill points - that doesn't address the issue, the humans are still nerfed. Even more so - now that extra 1 skill point per level means less, even if you choose to include it. Yes BR is more skill intensive - I actually like that my players exhaust their skill points on diplomatic skills, but of course YMMV.

I prefer the basic idea in the BRCS playtest: accept the PHB races, but add to each in a "balanced" manner. It is left to determine what is "balanced" (obviously humans are weaker in the draft than, demihumans), but generally I think this is a good idea. It may require an ECL, though, to allow the DM to use CRs.

For your own game, of course, most of these considerations don't apply. I just don't think this system is a good way to go for the official rules.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I proposed this exact system on the Feedback thread in the Playtest forum.

Also, the skills that you are 'force' to place your points in become permanent class skills.
    I walk this fine thread...

Mourn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually the Wheel of Time d20 system did not award bonus feats. It listed background feats, much like the regional feats of the FRCS. It did list background skills though. These were considered to be class skills for the character. I like this concept of background skills being class skills for the character.:)
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    > Eosin wrote:
    > This is the creation system for my home game - I have not gotten to the
    elves/dwarves/Hobits yet, but I thought I would see what others thougt.
    >
    >Races:
    >The predominate area of game play is a region of Cerillia called Anuire.

>Humans no longer have the same characteristics as designated in the 3E PHB.

I still favor the precedent set by WOTC in the Oriental Adventures book for
    customizing humans. Balanced and elegant, with a lot of flavor. Add in a
    lot of feats that can only be taken by people of a certain region (like
    ancestor feats from OA) and you are in business.

************************************************** **************************
    The Birthright Homepage: http://www.birthright.net
    Birthright-l Archives: http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/birthright-l.html
    To unsubscribe, send email to LISTSERV@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM
    with UNSUB BIRTHRIGHT-L in the body of the message.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Point of clarification - this is an official system from WOTC - the Wheel of Time d20 system. I changed out some skills and feats then bastardized the flavor test from RoE. Objections to the system "cause it ain't official" aren't going to improve the selections. I use the WoT system for Birthright; it is built for low magic occurance, more powerful magic, and more skilled characters. The perfect fit (for me anyway).

OA is just a valid a course, but I like the WOT system better.

This was not posted in release discussion section for a reason. This is how I run my home game and I am looking to see if anybody can spot any big mistakes in skill selection or feat selection. I am not trying to convince other folks to see things my way - just hey this is the way I do it, anything look odd?

I spotted a mistake already - I forgot to include the feats :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yair wrote:
    As for giving all classes extra skill points - that doesn't address the issue, the humans are still nerfed.
    I have not gotten to the demi-humans but they will be equatible in the end and they get a bonuys background feat also.

Yair Wrote:
    I don't see why you would want to do that.
    Not my idea, just porting the WOT system across. It works well in game, though some D&D players consider it a bitter pill.

Originally posted by Mourn

I proposed this exact system on the Feedback thread in the Playtest forum.

Also, the skills that you are 'force' to place your points in become permanent class skills.
    First, congratulations! Second, that is covered in the section on background skills.

Originally posted by irdeggman

1. Actually the Wheel of Time d20 system did not award bonus feats.

2. I like this concept of background skills being class skills for the character.:)
    1. ?? You still get a bonus feat, it is just required that you select it from one of four but EVERYBODY gets the bonus feat even demi-humans. Did you mean something else?

2. I think it adds mucho flavor to coming "from somewhere."

I will look at the feats list and see what I can post.

Downloads
    Uploads
    At 04:19 AM 3/18/2003 +0100, you wrote:
    >This post was generated by the Birthright.net message forum.
    > You can view the entire thread at:
    http://www.birthright.net/read.php?TID=1451
    >
    > Eosin wrote:
    > Point of clarification - this is an official system from WOTC - the Wheel
    of Time d20 system. I changed out some skills and feats then bastardized
    the flavor test from RoE. Objections to the system "cause it ain`t
    official" aren`t going to improve the selections. I use the WoT system
    for Birthright; it is built for low magic occurance, more powerful magic,
    and more skilled characters. The perfect fit (for me anyway).
    >
    >OA is just a valid a course, but I like the WOT system better.
    >
    >This was not posted in release discussion section for a reason. This is
    how I run my home game and I am looking to see if anybody can spot any big
    mistakes in skill selection or feat selection. I am not trying to convince
    other folks to see things my way - just hey this is the way I do it,
    anything look odd?
    >
    >I spotted a mistake already - I forgot to include the feats :)

hey, if you like it, run with it :)

Maybe I`ll try it out and let you know how it goes!

************************************************** **************************
    The Birthright Homepage: http://www.birthright.net
    Birthright-l Archives: http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/birthright-l.html
    To unsubscribe, send email to LISTSERV@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM
    with UNSUB BIRTHRIGHT-L in the body of the message.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Everyone gets a feat at 1st level - this is not a bonus feat but a character level based feat. The same as in every d20 WotC product. All characters gain an additional feat at every 3rd character level (3rd, 6th, etc.). I also did not see where in the Wheel of Time it forced a character to use this starting feat on one of the background feats. In fact it said that he could acquire additional feats from this background list later on and that he could acquire background feats from other backgrounds after he had been exposed to the background for awhile. The background feats were only available to certain backgrounds but the character could still use his starting feat for any of the general ones that weren't listed as background feats.

I wouldn't refer to this starting feat as a bonus feat, it leads to confusion with things like fighters gain bonus feats at 1st and other levels. When refered to as a bonus feat it leads me to believe that a starting character gets 2 feats instead of 1.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry about that. I reread the Wheel of Time info. I had missed the last sentence under background feats "Take one of them." I also saw that the example characters all had them too. I'm not used to seeing a set up worded like that, they should have included it as an entry on the 1st level character abilities.

Now while this bonus feat works well in a self-contained game like Wheel of Time I don't think it would work very well in Birthrigh, since we are using the rest of the D&D material. The background feats would best be like the regional feats of the FCS, not free but exclusively available. The reason that the bonus feat wouldn't work very well is that the encounter levels and challange ratings are all based on this not being there. The monsters don't have bonus feats to make up for this.

The reason I wouldn't have a problem with giving "free" class skills is that the character doesn't gain anything until he spends skill points to acquire ranks - and if every culture has regional skills then it would balance out.:)
    Duane Eggert

Thread Information