Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There are powerful Blood abilities out there, some of them are quite useful in many situations, others are overpowering and yet others are next to worthless, it all depends on the situation the scion is in at any given moment. lets for example take an adventuring based campeign (as opposed to political) and a mighty 15th level fighter scion who has the Blood ability Major Resistance: Non-magical attacks at either major or great Deriviation. now this ability grants you as you should be familiar with Damage Reduction either (major) 3/+1 or (great) 5/+1. Most opponents that the Scion is encountering at that level (since he is probably traveling with charecter at ECL 16/17) either have damage reduction that enables them to easily bypass this damage reduction or they are armed with weapons that enable them to bypass this ability rather easily.

The great blood ability would be alot more useful and understandable if it were something like what I suggest is that the Damage reduction increases as the charecter does in level great Resistance for example might gain one point of damage reduction per level(ECL/level?) also that the plus of the magical weapon required to injure the scion might increase as well at every five levels or in the case of the fighter scion above he would have Damage reduction 15/+3

The Major blood ability would then be something like this 1point of damage reduction per 2 levels and the plus of the weapon requered to injure the scion might increase every 7 levels (in both cases rounded down)
    or incase of the fighter above he would have damage reduction 7/+2

also to make sure that they are not completly useless for a first level scion there should be bare minimum of the damage reductions as they are or in case of (major) this should be DR 3/+1 and for great this should be 6/+1

there are more abilities out there that could use revisement on this count, for example animal affinity(great) grants the scion the ability to change into Totem animal once per day(this should change to be once every 5 levels of the scion)

Blood abilities should be useful at all levels, not the just the lowest or the highest, feel free to tune down some abilites and then gradually increase the power level of them, some blood abilites are equally useful at all levels for example Long Life ability and should not be changed

Downloads
    Uploads
    Recently I recieved a reply regarding my posting, sorry if I copy paste it but there are accidently two posting and this one is the complete one

kgauck Re: Level dependant Blood abilities was posted on: 02-18-03 07:13:09

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blood abilities should be considered on the basis of their being used for
    their intended purpose. Battlewise is intended to be used for a battle
    commander. A character who gets this power but whose player doesn`t want to
    play that kind of character isn`t an argument that Battlewise is a bad blood
    power, just that random assignment of such powers is a bad system. It helps
    when assignment of blood powers preceeds class selection and development of
    a character concept, but that only helps if the player doesn`t come to the
    table with an existing concept idea.

In the BRCS, blood and regency is chapter 2. By the time you get to that,
    you`ve already selected race, class, skills, and feats. As a character
    might be imagined to develop, most skills and feats and even class selection
    can be presumed to occur after the character has begun to manifest their
    blood abilities. For this reason, I always do blood abilities first, and I
    don`t force players to accept abilities at variance with their intended
    character concept (when they bring one to the table). Players who come to
    the table with no set ideas appreciate setting down some fixed abilities
    first and then deciding where to go from there.

That way, characters don`t end up with blood abilities that they (because of
    their intended role play) don`t regard abilities like Battlewise as useless.

Kenneth Gauck
    kgauck@mchsi.com

The Birthright Homepage: http://www.birthright.net
    Birthright-l Archives: http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/birthright-l.html
    To unsubscribe, send email to LISTSERV@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM
    with UNSUB BIRTHRIGHT-L in the body of the message.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would like to thank you for your reply, but I must question if you actually read what I said, I was not talking about useless blood abilities, I just thought that some of them could be improved for their intended usage by making them level dependant, also it is a great balancing point for weaker and stronger abilites

Like I said a 15th level scion fighter has very little to do with either major or great version of Major resistance to nonmagical attacks, by making it level dependant and improving it like I said in my article I think that an ability like that could be intresting it makes it not overpowering at first level yet useful at the later levels

I hope that some of my suggestions lead to a better Birthright couse there is always place for improvements

Yours sincerly
    Oximoron El Grande

Downloads
    Uploads
    Re: damage reduction - I propose tabling any really specific modifications on this part until after 3.5 comes out. It is promised as having a relatively complete revision of thedamage reduction system and IMO we should revisit this effect once we have the revised rules to make a comparision.

While the player doesn't choose his blood abilities until after his race, class, etc. are chosen - if done in the order presented. Note that this is not included as a required order for character preparation, although it definitely can be implied by the order the chapters are written, even though one must go to go a later chapter to determine which domains to use in order to build a cleric. In fact the blood ability score must be rolled at the same time as the character's other ability scores so there is no real reason that the process can't be in parallel. I personnaly would favor a character to choose his blood abilities after his basic character concept is set. This doesn't work very well if the variant to randomly roll the blood abilities is used though - IMO it would be more useful for the player's to allow the blood abilities to be rolled "first" before selecting race or class. Either way works per the BRCS as currently written and both methods have their advantages and disadvantages.

:)
    Duane Eggert

Birthright Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, irdeggman wrote:
    > Re: damage reduction - I propose tabling any really specific
    > modifications on this part until after 3.5 comes out. It is promised
    > as having a relatively complete revision of thedamage reduction system
    > and IMO we should revisit this effect once we have the revised rules
    > to make a comparision.

Speaking of which, `half damage from X` is being replaced by DR; for
    example, skeletons will, I understand, have `DR 5/Blunt`. So something
    similar should be put together for BR dwarves. I`d say either DR
    5/pointy things or DR Con bonus/pointy things.
    --
    Communication is possible only between equals.
    Daniel McSorley- mcsorley@cis.ohio-state.edu

************************************************** **************************

Downloads
    Uploads
    The application of the "new" DR rules to dwarves will definitely be visited when the3.5 comes out, as will most everything that they could apply to.

Something similar was discussed during the development, but the fact that a dwarf could then avoid "all" damage from say a club seemed to be a bit on the extreme side. The present version has the dwarf always receiving at least 1 point of damage if hit. Damage is never rounded to 0, unless it is the result of DR which eliminates the first amount of damage.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 7:48 AM

> I would like to thank you for your reply, but I must question if you
    > actually read what I said

I wasn`t replying to your post, but to the whole thread. These were some
    reflections on the whole deal - a statement of my take on the situation.

Kenneth Gauck
    kgauck@mchsi.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you again for your reply kgauck

I went and read your original reply to the thread and it was as if I was reading it for the first time (must have been to tired or something the first time) and relised that you were talking about something completly diffrent from me. How charecter concepts must come first before abilities influence such creations. In other words to stop metagame thinking and do some roleplay. But that wasnt what I was talking about. There are some aspect of BTCS that are still defined from 2e standards and havn´t been properly converted to 3e. I was trying to make improvements on an already excellent game. And I really felt that what I was doing would really make some good effects. I dont belive that the blood abilites given in BRCS are useless. But there are ways in some occasions that their intended usage could be improved.

Downloads
    Uploads
    irdeggman wrote:

>This post was generated by the Birthright.net message forum.
    > You can view the entire thread at: http://www.birthright.net/read.php?TID=1361
    >irdeggman wrote:
    >While the player doesn`t choose his blood abilities until after his race, class, etc. are chosen - if done in the order presented. Note that this is not included as a required order for character preparation, although it definitely can be implied by the order the chapters are written, even though one must go to go a later chapter to determine which domains to use in order to build a cleric. In fact the blood ability score must be rolled at the same time as the character`s other ability scores so there is no real reason that the process can`t be in parallel. I personnaly would favor a character to choose his blood abilities after his basic character concept is set. This doesn`t work very well if the variant to randomly roll the blood abilities is used though - IMO it would be more useful for the player`s to allow the blood abilities to be rolled "first" before selecting race or class. Either way works per the BRCS as currently written and both methods have their advan
    > tages and disadvantages.
    >:)
    >
    And yet another point of view: Bloodabilites could develop during the
    life of the character, according to his actions, or spontaneously - just
    as described in Iron Throne where Michael Roele did not have all his
    abilites at once, but gained them one after one.

So the player and DM can e.g. after a great heroic adventure or after
    some extraordinary sucees or cruel murder or raising of the bloodline
    strenght add an ability within the maximum the character may have,
    without any randomness.
    bye
    Michael Romes

Downloads
    Uploads

And yet another point of view: Bloodabilites could develop during the
    life of the character, according to his actions, or spontaneously - just
    as described in Iron Throne where Michael Roele did not have all his
    abilites at once, but gained them one after one.

So the player and DM can e.g. after a great heroic adventure or after
    some extraordinary sucees or cruel murder or raising of the bloodline
    strenght add an ability within the maximum the character may have,
    without any randomness.
    bye
    Michael Romes
    Absolutely and it would be wrong, at least IMO, to place a rule mechanic that would limit the DM from doing exactly this. Also, the Great Heritage template is another award that can be "granted" by the DM for sustained or truly heroic (as in epic type proportions)actions. Leadership score awards are something that also should be handled by DMs, I think this is something that most people haven't gotten a firm hand on yet. It was after all "hidden" in the DMG vice the PHB.:)
    Duane Eggert

Thread Information