Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    While I agree with you that it is suppose to be a low magic world where do you get the idea that it should also be low powered?
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    The standard badasses in Cerilia are around 10th level. Certainly though they're not the top end. Converted the Gorgon is a 30th level character! The Gorgon, the Magian, the Raven are basically characters of mythical proportion.

If you play Marlae Roesone and you defeat Gavin Tael and Ghoere your a major hero. 10th level characters are after all half the levels of the traditional D & D campaign world. You've yet to even scrath the surface of mythical proportion. Any system where this is the case to me starts to define power base of the world.

To me this means the top end characters generally will attain 7-12 character levels. Certainly the game world can appeal to those wishing to float 15+ without any changes to it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It has always bothered me that game creators feel it necessary to put down actual stats and abilities for the major players. You get two reactions - 'what a putz' or 'you have got to be kidding me'. Think of the original 'Deities and Demi-Gods' and 1st Ed dragons for the former and Earthdawn's Verjigorm or Elwe in RMSS for the latter. I have always felt such entities are meant for NPC's and not for direct contact. It helps keep characters in line if they know that no matter how bad they think they are, there is always something much worse out there yet. They also have a tendency or comparing their characters to the books stats to find out if they can take out a 'mythical creature' ruining any type of tension that might have happened. In conclusion, 'high powered' and 'high level' aren't always the same thing. Keep the characters on their toes. The books are for reference, not law. Start using Call of Cthullu mini's for creatures. The might have stats just like goblins but the character's don't know it. (An Ed Greenwood trick) There should be always be something the character's can't have or can't do - just don't tell them what it is.
    Afnae

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's always a good idea to mix things up when you DM. There's no reason to keep monster stats, special abilities, or anything else about a monster.

Next time try throwing a medusa at the characters who should know nothing about the monster. If they look away to avoid her gaze then have the medusa use a siren attack. They'll think twice about using OOC knowledge in character.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The moment you give stats to a mythical hero,god,etc.,you give it the ability to be killed.
    "Victory has a thousand fathers,defeat is an orphan."

Downloads
    Uploads
    You mean I can't kill the Gorgon, that is it I quit. I am never playing this game again! ;)
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Lord Eldred

You mean I can't kill the Gorgon, that is it I quit. I am never playing this game again! ;)
    Sweet!

Hey Shaene, I'll split his provinces with you?!
    This is an adventure dammit! I expect to be rewarded for acts of homicide!

Birthright Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The moment you give stats to a mythical hero,god,etc.,you give it the ability to be killed.

Uh huh. I suppose it would take someone of heroic proportions to do it, though. Someone like - a group of Player Characters. Sounds about right to me. ;)

I agree about BR being a generally low magic campaign. I don't think that makes it low powered in general - it makes high-level BR characters generally low powered compared to the high-level characters in other worlds. On lower levels, BR characters are about the same, if not better than PCs from other worlds.

Most prestige classes in BR should be predominantly non-magical. I can see toning down some prestige classes somewhat - but generally speaking, a prestige class should be the *best* at his niche. A cavalier prestige class makes no sense if a fighter can be a better horseman through feats.
    Jan E. Juvstad.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Low in Magic, High in Fiber.

Its not as much fun, ganging up on legendary/mythical beings, it kinda takes the glory out of it.

Birthright should be low magic. I like the idea of lots of prestige classes. Many of the prestige classes would have low skill and level based requirements and have more prestige based requirements for example:

Iron Guard (of Ghoere):

BAB +3
    Strategy, 5 ranks
    Ride, 6 ranks
    Mounted Combat Feat
    Special: Must be hand picked by the appropriate Ghoerean official to be allowed training with the elite Iron Guards.

This assumes that most of the members of the Iron Guard are lower level than most experienced regents [particularly PCs] (about 3rd level), have soldiery experience, and have been honored in service of Ghoere. I would assume that its a small prestige class (maybe 5 levels) that gives mostly prestige bonuses such as special privelages in the Realm of Ghoere.

This can be repeated for any and all of the special units in the campaign (Watch Ranger, Massenmarch Claw, or Mor's Headhunters). Each of these prestige classes should be smaller and easier to access to NPCs. In addition, they further bind characters to a realm and would all have consequences for deserting. These suggestions are just for special unit-based prestige classes.

As for other prestige classes, the kits from the Books of Regency, Magecraft, and Priestcraft can serve as ideas. The Birthright campaign has amazing potential for prestige classes.
    Explain how this is a signature, its not my handwriting.

The hardest part was teaching the bunnies to hug. -Duke Phillips

Thread Information