Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If one has a natural Magic resistence are you resistent only to offensive spells or to friendly/aid spells as well?

Is it something you can 'turn on and off' at will or is that simply 'the way it works'?
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Since I don't know how to add my inputs to the poll I will just answer here.

Initially I don't care.

Then after some thought it is up to the DM of the campaign and perhaps even the MR itself since I am sure there are more than one type.

Finally I still don't care.
    One law, One court, One allied people, One coin, and one tax, is what I shall bring to Cerilia.

Downloads
    Uploads
    To me,to be true to what magic resistance is,it should work on both beneficial and harmful magic.I mean look at the name:Magic Resistance,resistant to magic,good and bad.

That is the way I always ruled anyways......
    "Victory has a thousand fathers,defeat is an orphan."

Downloads
    Uploads
    While in theory it should probably work on both, in my campaign we have never played that way. I think it is meant as a defensive ability thus we always assumed it was only for attacking spells.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Magian

Since I don't know how to add my inputs to the poll I will just answer here.
    Good thing you don't live in Florida or I'd hammer you...

Click the dot next to the selection... then press vote (the little button under the poll.) The extra button for 'vote' is there for indecisive people or those who click on the wrong dot initially. I'm hoping its not that simple and that maybe your browser doesn't work with the polling options.
    Lawgiver

Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My thoughts are it works on both, but that if an ally wants to cast a beneficial spell on you, then you should have the option to willingly recieve the spell i.e. (let your own defenses down). well thats just my take on it.

Lord Shaene
    Lord Shaene Conlynd
    Regent - United Provinces of Haelyn

Downloads
    Uploads
    In 2nd edition, it worked this way: only offensive/harmful spells would be affected by magic resistance unless it was specified that the monster or character was equally resistant to both; which was a rare occurance but there were a few monsters in the monstrous manual where it was specified. I may be wrong, but I tend to think it works this way in 3rd edition as well.
    Respectfully submitted,

Temujin,
    Would-be ruler of you all. =)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know thats the way it works... but does it make sense?
    Lawgiver

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it does make sense if you look at it the way Lord Shaene explains it. You choose to let your defenses down to accept the spells that are beneficial to you. Although I think you would have to actively do this or you would be resistant to the spell.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    It doesn't sad Bad Magic Resistance... just Magic Resistance. Magic resistance is something you can control you just are. Other answers may make power players happy. but it isn't in the spirit of the rule, IMO, but hey I am more strict then most people because my players liked an element of danger in their games and expect fairness from me.

Thread Information