Special Guest (Donor) morgramen's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For those who have read the novels _IRON THRONE_ and _WAR_ do you think it should be considered canon? Did the events described therein actually happen in Anuire's past?

Personally, I rather enjoyed IRON THRONE. There were a few snippets there in that I thought a bit hard to swallow, but over all, I thought it an excellent historical writing.

I don't recall WAR overly much to comment on it here. (Guess I'll reread it while I anxiously await the LotR movie).
    "You need people of intelligence on this mission... quest... thing."

Downloads
    Uploads
    I didn't see the choice "use some of both but not all" So I answered nope not at all.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I thoroughly enjoyed the Iron Throne, but was a little disappointed in WAR. The primary thing I gleened from the books was the descriptions for Tuarhievel, the development of the Shadow World and the final battle between Michael and the Gorgon.
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Since you brought the subject of books up, I want to touch on a subject concerning it, in one of the birthright books it describes the elves being able to meld in with the trees, but no where in any of the campaign books does it state elves have this ability. one of our group members decided that he could do this cause it said in the book elves could, only thing is he is only half elf, whats your take on it, and also tell me if you think the half elfs should be able to do it too.
    Lord Shaene Conlynd
    Regent - United Provinces of Haelyn

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't remember that part... Are you sure it wasn't speaking figuratively? i.e. disappear into the darkness... doesn't mean literally become one with the darkness.

I have heard of a spell that lets you do it. I think dryads or only of the other faerie like creatures can use trees like portals, moving from one area of the forest to another rapidly. Though I don't remember off hand where I read that. It may not have even been D&D... I wouldn't allow elves the ability other than with a spell. Humans would be too prone to try cutting down the tree to get the elf.. which the elves wouldn't be to fond of.
    Lawgiver

Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lord Shaene

I've read the book and think I can explain it.

It says in the rules that all characters can learn simple first level spells, and the two abilities described in the novel are just that. Too bad the rules doesn't explain how this works...

I've adopted the spells described in my campaign, and elves from Sielwode often have the spells Embrace of Sielwode (melting into and out of trees) and Transleaping (phasing in and out of existence/Shadow World, improving AC and Thaco), even if they're not mages.

About the novels, I've read most of them, loved them all, and use them as background for my campaign.

Special Guest (Donor) morgramen's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That tree embracing thign was from the novel Greatheart.

I think I might use it as an illusion spell rather than actually 'entering' the tree itself. Instead, the elf would just turn into a chameleon and hug the tree while tha bad guys went running by. :P

I think hte Shadow World jumping deal should be pretty much reserved for the wee folk, it's their only claim to fame after all.
    "You need people of intelligence on this mission... quest... thing."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Illusionary spell would be better...
    IF it were a chameleon power... wouldn't the lumpy tree be a bit of a clue?

I agree with the leaving the Shadow gates to the munchkins.
    Lawgiver

Downloads
    Uploads
    The book Greatheart is where this particular member of Lord Shaene's group found this ability. I also found it as a spell. Does anyone think this should be a natural ability of elves? How about half-elves?
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well we should start a new thread on this...

but here are my few pennies

In the book greatheart there was few elves that could merge well into the trees and stuff. I wanted to use that, but I did not know how.
    But when the 3ed came out, I found out.
    In the rule book that has been converted elves have greenlore and can emplify that with a feat. But I thought why not allow them to have acess to more feats. Just like the halflings. And that what I found out.

In my draw (that is written in Icelandic) there are two extra feats. One that gives a chameleon bonus when in a forest, by vitually merge with the tree, and the other you can move to tree to tree, limited number of"jumps" per day.

My pennies are gone!

Thread Information