Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In response to Mithrander's post that blooded Magicians defeats the purpose of the class. I agree.
    However, I believe that Rogr Aglondier the current Regent of Ilien was an unblooded apprentice of the former Regent when he was invested with the Aglondier blood line (I don't have the book with me so I appoligize if my memory is incorrect). So it appears to me that the designers have given us an excellent example of an instance where a Magician can become a blooded regent.
    I would envision this regent takeing one of two paths: he could dual-class (2d edition) or multiclass (3d edition) as a True Mage or Sorcerer (least likely I think) or he could continue as a Blooded Magician capable of True Magic. I don't have the book of Magecraft but if I remember the Ilien sourcebook correctly Rogr is a 3d level Mage but it is not specified wether he is a True Wizard or a blooded Magician.
    Regards
    Regards,
    Randy

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would argue that an apprentice doesn't need to be blooded because he is just learning. As long as he didn't gain his first class level before becoming blooded, I think he's still a wizard or sorcerer. Also, if you need true magic to learn realm magic, then you probably learn low magic as an apprentice true mage. This would mean that you could be an apprentice for a long time before needing to be blooded, as you were learning low magic first. This is a bit of stretch I know, but it does make some sense doesn't it?:)
    "I did not pass through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a serving man untill the lightning falls!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ruins lists Rogr as a 3rd level wizard. I would have to agree with Mithrandir that Rogr was studying lower level magic and thus at the time it didn't matter that he wasn't blooded. Now that he is blooded he could study the higher arts of magic.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree, but where did all his magician levels go? He should probably be something like a Magician 4-8/Wizard 3. Another option would be to allow him to "convert" from magician to wizard once he gained a bloodline. Can't say how that should work though.
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    Who is to say that Rogr was not at 0 level when he became blooded, thus he would not have lost any magician levels when he converted to wizardry.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Lord Eldred
    Who is to say that Rogr was not at 0 level when he became blooded, thus he would not have lost any magician levels when he converted to wizardry.
    Out of curiosity how many spells does a level 0 magician cast???
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mostly cantrips.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rogr is not a young man. Either he must have started his study of magic late in life or he is simply incompetent. Wizard 3??? Thats soooo lame :)
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    When the matter of keeping magicians as a character class comes up I'd like to think I am as big as a supporter there is for keeping them. I think Mark Aurel (sp?) originally came up with the basic concept of the magician class that appears in Travis Doom's Rulebook. I fell in love with it the first time I saw it but it since has gone a few revisions. I think Doom's 3.8 Rulebook is still a little short of being right. Very close but not quite.

I decided to go back to playing a spell caster recently after a long line of playing the dumb fighter after DMing for way to long. I wanted to give the magician a go because I've never seen it done. I couldn't do it. Spell selection is still to poor.

I have a revised magician spell list. I went through every spell the magician could cast, and if any other class could cast that spell sooner I let the magician cast it sooner then a wizard. I also went through and made sure they could cast every divination and just about every (if not every) illusion spell there was. This I was happy with.

In the end I should have asked Travis if I could play my version but I never did. Incidently the character was going to be blooded. His attitude towards true magic would of been that it was misused and he didn't want to perpetuate that misuse.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Spehar, I am a little confused on how you changed the rules of magicians. Did you consult the DM or are you the DM?

Green Knight, perhaps Rogr had to abandon all magician spells when he was say 10th level and converted to wizard and has only progressed to 3rd level at this point.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Thread Information