Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Indeed he does. Magicians are very appealing to a lot of folks. Because of that, the DM ought to provide a magician class that is appealing to play.

2nd ed magician class was good. 3ed magician classes vary a lot.
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Green Knight
    2nd ed magician class was good. 3ed magician classes vary a lot.
    yes in 2nd ed ( player's option -> spell and magie + high level campaign )
    mage is very , very good classe, fun and lot of originality

in 3 ed, i don't know but whithout rule under option, i think
    it's lesser good !!! ( but, rule for creation magical item are that is missed in 2nd edition even if in book of artifact, creation is very cool

i'preferred mage in 2nd edition !!!! there's just no comparaison

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think a blooded or regent Magician defeats the purpose of the class. I know lots of players who choose to play non-blooded characters for the role-playing opputunites it presents. The magician is agreat example of those opurtunities. The example of an advisor character is great one, or what about halfling magician with the shadow walker feat? What about a bitter dwarven magician despretly trying to master true magic? What if such a character was actually a spy for an enemy wizard, cowed into submission by the wizards power?

Hmm...

Okay I got to go talk to one of my players and find that old copy of Warlock Of Stonecrowns...
    "I did not pass through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a serving man untill the lightning falls!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mithrandir, why does it defeat the purpose of the class?
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Because, the point of magicians is that they aren't blooded. It helps explain why magic is so rare in Cerilia. Besides, who would want to play one if it was just a wizard only weaker. The inability to use true magic is what makes the magician what he is, while I could see a possible exception made for a character who could provide a good reason why his character chose not to or was unable to use true magic, but only as an exception, and I probably would not let him use realm or battle magic without some extreme role-playing justification.
    "I did not pass through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a serving man untill the lightning falls!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    The book of Magecraft mentions scions becoming magicians. Not because they lack the potential to become true wizards, but because they lack comittment - instead of spending their lives in the pursuit of magic, they just dabble.
    Cheers
    Bjørn

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think Green Knight just provided a good reason. Another would be a multiclass character taking it on as something to dabble in. Another would be that someone who specialized in the spells of the magicians could become a very powerful regent for reasons explained in earlier posts.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    But if such a character lacked the commitment to master true magic, would he have the commitment to master realm magic. I would argue that true magic must be mastered before realm magic. Somewhat like how one has to learn algebra before calculus, trying to learn things out of order would lead to a great deal of confusion. Remeber, Realm magic is hard to understand, otherwise everyone would use and so many domains wouldn't have blanks in the source coloumn on the holdings chart.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, a requisite for using realm magic should be the ability to use true magic. No realm spells for bards, magicians etc, even if they are blooded.

If a character only dabbles in magic he does not truly understand the nature of mebhaighl. To use realm magic you have to have that understanding.
    Cheers
    Bjørn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Green Knight
    Yes, a requisite for using realm magic should be the ability to use true magic. No realm spells for bards, magicians etc, even if they are blooded.

If a character only dabbles in magic he does not truly understand the nature of mebhaighl. To use realm magic you have to have that understanding.
    Hear! Hear! Hail the wisdom of the Gren Knight!

Every Joe Shmoe that can wave his hands and chant SHOULD NOT be allowed to weild the powers of realm magic!!
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Thread Information